Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Naerasa posted:

I'd argue it reads even better as

Hawklad stomped his foot and pointed to the door. "Get the gently caress out."

but they all work and at a certain point it's just splitting hairs

It depends on momentum too, is this the last thing said in this scene or is there a response? I think both are good but have their own places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I got 94k into my sixth (!!! how the gently caress did this happen?) novel and....I hate it and don't want to write it anymore. First time this has happened. With my previous five it was a mostly straight forward experience except for y'know the imposter syndrome but this time just...ugh. I'm wondering if I should just power through and finish it, since after this next chapter it's the home stretch onto the final act (so probably another 20k) or just shelve it for now and work on something else.

Writing is hard guys :cry:

Finish finish finish finish.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
What I did when I got to that point on my first novel is I finished writing it as if I had made all the changes I felt I needed to and made notes for all of them. If I ever go back to it (I probably won't) I'll just have the first 40k or so words to fix with notes for all the changes and the rest of the book is pretty tidy.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I just want to say that the fox loving in The Magicians was great if you want to read how terrific fox loving can be written.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I have a problem with being too nice to my characters. All of my stories just sort of fade into this really boring situation where only good things are happening. I just really struggle putting a character through any sort of lasting trauma. Does anyone have any advice on getting over this?