Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
does anyone in here write anything other than genre fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

im only asking cuz ive got an idea for a novel i want to write but when i think about the premise of it and how i want to write it, it sounds very much like a kind of book that some other authors ive read would have written. authors with very distinctive styles.

how do you avoid the trap of mimicry or pastiche?

i know this is ultimately a dumb question cuz i haven't actually written anything yet and i won't get a chance to start writing anything for a while due to life and not even owning a computer but wondering if anyone else struggles with anything similar?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CantDecideOnAName posted:

What does that have to do with non-genre fiction writing?

Also there is nothing new under the sun, good writers borrow great writers steal, etc etc. Just write it.

most of the topics discussed in this thread seem to be about character development or plot progression. my question was about style, which is generally not very important to genre fiction

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

thank you for the advice. i agree i am probably overthinking things especially as i haven't yet put pen to paper and once i start to get some words down hopefully things will flow more organically

i didn't mean to start a whole debate about genre fiction its just to me most genre fiction is written in a generic style though i don't mean this in a derogatory manner (a lot of literary fiction is written this way too). i was hoping to use style as a means of complementing and reinforcing the themes discussed in my novel in such a way that maybe a painter would use a certain style of brushwork to create their work. i think writing a genre novel in a dense or abstract style would be a bad choice if your primary aim to to tell a story

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Yes, please describe in detail the generic style that straddles mystery, science fiction, fantasy, romance, and any other genres included in genre fiction.

literary fiction is a genre just like all those other genres you listed. in fact none of them are really genres at all, they're more like marketing terms

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

when i say generic style i mean in the usual descriptive narrative sense. sentences and paragraphs are used to describe the action, what things look like, character motivations and emotions. the text creates a space for the action to take place and then describes it. but the emotional response of the reader is always drawn from what the text is describing. i was hoping to write the text in such a way that the text itself could help illicit that emotional response

to give an example: krasznahorkai's the melancholy of resistance deals with an apocalyptic scenario that puts the novels characters in dangerous situations beyond their control. the build up is slow but unrelenting and krasznahorkai's prose is written in a similarly brutal and unrelenting stream of consciousness style. like the events in the novel, the text has a continuous momentum with sentences that run for pages and paragraphs for entire chapters helping to instill a sense of panic and paranoia as the reader is not given any chance to stop or slow down or even pause for breath being dragged along by text and left just as helpless and vulnerable to malicious forces as the characters themselves

it's not my intention to write something so obviously dense and obtuse, but i at least wanted to attempt to recreate the effect somewhat

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

thanks for the replies. i am eager to get writing its just difficult now cuz i don't even own a computer atm, we're in the middle of moving house and everything got completely hosed up and im stuck at my aunts place with my things all packed away in boxes for god knows how long. its frustrating 😤

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

okay i started scribbling things in a notebook. this is fun

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the old ceremony posted:

what do i do when my characters come to life and start walking around talking to people in the real world and convincing them that things from the book universe are real historical events? i feel responsible because i breathed life into these people but i have no control over them anymore, they don't answer my calls

congratulations you just wrote At Swim-Two-Birds

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

whats a good resource for culturally ambiguous names for characters? the story im writing doesn't take place anywhere specific and i don't want my readers to think it does but i definitely don't want a bunch of dumb white people names

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I like http://www.behindthename.com for looking up names. They even have a random name generator if you don't want to go poking through a big list.

okay this is cool i like the random name generator

the best thing about this site i think is that it warns you if a particular name belongs to a harry potter or fire emblem or whatever character lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

you know what? writing is weird and kinda sucks. im writing a scene where a guy comes across two foxes loving in the woods and now i guess i have to watch a bunch of videos of foxes loving so i can describe it accurately???? 😰

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

maybe i should write it inaccurately on purpose just to piss off the fox loving experts cuz seriously gently caress those guys, am i right?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

did i mention that one of the foxes is also stuck in a trap?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

this but instead the kids are shouting "thats not how foxes gently caress!!"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the old ceremony posted:

you know what? writing is weird and kinda sucks. im writing a scene where a woman of size fucks a polar bear and now i guess i have to watch a bunch of videos of women of size loving polar bears so i can describe it accurately???? 😰

wow my post has been turned into a substitution meme. im flattered really. this must be what being published feels like #blessed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hi! I've decided I'm going to start writing. But I don't have a computer! I'm wondering if there are any considerations to take into account when looking for a computer that will be used primarily for writing. Is this the right thread for this or is there a better thread to ask?

I would be looking at PCs, not interested in Macs. Are there any particular features that you feel are beneficial for writing? Back-lit keyboard? Screen size? Battery life? Let me know what has worked for you and what hasn't! Haven't had a computer for over 10 years so I'm way out of the loop as far as specs are concerned. Might do a little gaming on the side... not AAA stuff, but idk the odd Civ6 or other 4x game perhaps... 🤔

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

I would recommend something, above all, that you're not going to be tempted to use for anything else. Surfing the web is fine, you'll always need to do research, but that's basically it.

I mean it's never gonna be my main gaming device, I have the ps5 for that. Just thought if I'm gonna shell out some dosh for the thing it might as well be at least somewhat capable 🙃 🤷 🙂

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

cumpantry posted:

if corn has a couch next to an outlet they will be unstoppable

Hmmm, yes as a matter of fact I do..!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'd be very careful about overbuying for a hobby you haven't even started. Can you concentrate in coffee shops? If not, and you don't anticipate moving around, then get a desktop. Can't work at home? Laptop it is.

Are you a plotter as opposed to a pantser (I.e., fly-by-the-seat-of-your...)? Then an additional vertical screen is invaluable at a fixed installation to look at your detailed notes.

Can you borrow a laptop for a little while and see what works/doesn't work for you while you begin outlining/making notes/writing/etc. in different locales? As we say in woodworking, buy once, cry once.

The one irrefutable piece of advice is to get a good keyboard and mouse to avoid hand issues.

edit: just for background, I can't concentrate in coffee shops and the like, and do all my writing at my desktop setup, where I have a dual monitor setup (side vertical one for notes), standing "secretary's clipboard" for transcribing handwritten notes, my thesaurus and manual of style, etc. it works for me, but wouldn't for a lot of other folks. But the opposite is true too. I just would hate for you to spend a bunch on a laptop, e.g., and find that you could have done with a desktop that can handle your games and have better specs for the same price.

I don't have any space for a desktop set up so it was always going to be a laptop. I'm not worried about the actual writing part I'm fine with that! I just haven't had a computer in a decade and would need to buy one.

I like the talk about the lenovo keyboards, think I'll try a few out in a shop and see but it's a great place to start. Thanks writing advice thread!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My Name is Red is another title that comes to mind for great POV shifts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Leng posted:

Three things to consider that haven’t been mentioned so far:

1) you can consider purpose built things like the Freewrite https://getfreewrite.com/ if you don’t actually need a computer computer. I don’t have one but I know people who swear by it

2) if you like to hand write drafts but not have to re type them, there’s also the Remarkable https://remarkable.com/store/remarkable-2 which is an e-ink tablet. Again, I don’t but I know people who do and are happy with it.

3) if you are considering self publishing in the future, this is where I will encourage you to opt for a Mac instead of anything else because Vellum is the best out of the box book formatting software around. It is a lifetime license and they will do ebook and print and for all retailers and it just works and makes pretty books. I know people who have bought old Macs for the sole purpose of running Vellum to format their books. There are other alternatives but imo they are either buggy or janky or just don’t produce books that look as nice.

Good stuff to consider. Thanks!