Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Ironic Twist posted:

Can everyone share their own strategies for writing dialogue? Besides stalking/wiretapping

I've had some luck with writing the first draft without any dialogue tags or blocking. Just their words, back and forth. I tend to get bogged down with those things and lose the flow of the conversation otherwise. Then go back and pare it down and add necessary tags and blocking for color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

don't have people answering each other's questions, have people talk over and round and through each other to get what they want. don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books.

This for sure.

Also, here's one I'm guilty of -- avoid adding action to dialogue tags.

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said, as he stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

reads much better as

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said. He stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

The dialogue should be important enough to stand on its own. And so should the action.