Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

A human heart posted:

Isn't a lot of this advice quite biased in favour of extremely formulaic genre fiction narratives with plot and characters as the main focus. like you're spending all this time talking about plot but lots of great books don't have much of a plot or its fairly unimportant?

I'm very curious to know which great books you think don't have a plot, because I'm guessing that most of them actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

So this is what people mean when they talk about posting style...

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hawklad posted:

This for sure.

Also, here's one I'm guilty of -- avoid adding action to dialogue tags.

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said, as he stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

reads much better as

"Get the gently caress out," Hawklad said. He stomped his foot and pointed to the door.

The dialogue should be important enough to stand on its own. And so should the action.

I'd argue it reads even better as

Hawklad stomped his foot and pointed to the door. "Get the gently caress out."

but they all work and at a certain point it's just splitting hairs

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Well that's definitely not a mandatory way to start a story, soooooooo....

The Snows of Kilimanjaro, by Ernest Hemingway
The marvelous thing is that it's painless," he said. "That's how you know when it starts."

"Is it really?"

"Absolutely. I'm awfully sorry about the odor though. That must bother you."

"Don't! Please don't."

"Look at them," he said. "Now is it sight or is it scent that brings them like that?"

In the Penal Colony, by Franz Kafka

"It’s a peculiar apparatus,” said the Officer to the Traveler, gazing with a certain admiration at the device, with which he was, of course, thoroughly familiar. It appeared that the Traveler had responded to the invitation of the Commandant only out of politeness, when he had been invited to attend the execution of a soldier condemned for disobeying and insulting his superior. Of course, interest in the execution was not very high, not even in the penal colony itself.

A Good Man Is Hard to Find, by Flannery O'Connor

The grandmother didn't want to go to Florida. She wanted to visit some of her connections in east Tennessee and she was seizing at every chance to change Bailey's mind. Bailey was the son she lived with, her only boy. He was sitting on the edge of his chair at the table, bent over the orange sports section of the Journal. "Now look here, Bailey," she said, "see here, read this," and she stood with one hand on her thin hip and the other rattling the newspaper at his bald head. "Here this fellow that calls himself The Misfit is aloose from the Federal Pen and headed toward Florida and you read here what it says he did to these people. Just you read it. I wouldn't take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it. I couldn't answer to my conscience if I did."

I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov

I looked at my notes and I didn't like them. I'd spent three days at U. S. Robots and might as well have spent them at home with the Encyclopedia Tellurica.

The Yellow Wallpaper, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

It is very seldom that mere ordinary people like John and myself secure ancestral halls for the summer.

A colonial mansion, a hereditary estate, I would say a haunted house, and reach the height of romantic felicity—but that would be asking too much of fate!

Still I will proudly declare that there is something queer about it.

A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

On the third day of rain they had killed so many crabs inside the house that Pelayo had to cross his drenched courtyard and throw them into the sea, because the newborn child had a temperature all night and they thought it was due to the stench. The world had been sad since Tuesday.

All of those are good, but all of those are old. Using the best openings of the twentieth century only helps so much when you're trying to appeal to the tastes of agents now. Not saying you have to go by the formula, of course, but the industry's changed a lot since Kafka and Asimov were getting their works read.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

They are classics (and ones I can easily c/p off the internet). Feel free to add some modern examples that you think are more relevant.

Sorry I never responded to this. Truth is, I don't really have a response because I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. I'm just so frustrated with my own experience of trying to get published that I'm lashing out at any kind of advice from anyone as a way to make myself feel better. You're doing a good job with this thread, so I'm sorry for coming in/making GBS threads on/walking out. Keep doing your best to help people and ignore posters like me :)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

cash crab posted:

Oh, right, gently caress. I also came here to ask a question. Speaking of FIRST MANUSCRIPT, I was going to start looking for an agent after I finish the second draft. I'm having an issue with query letters, and I am not sure if this is the right place for it. I am having some trouble figuring out the genre of this book, and therefore, which agencies/agents I should target. I understand the sci-fi market is highly saturated, and frankly, my book isn't in line with what most hardcore sci-fi readers would expect to be reading, either from a linguistic or plot standpoint. Also, from a really pedantic perspective, my book is technically "speculative fiction that happens to set in space". How would I explain this to an agency in a way that sounds less airy?

You could always try posting the query in here and see what genre people think it is based on your summarization. Note: this will only help if your summary is a decently accurate reflection of the book itself (which ideally it should be).

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I usually just google for names by ethnicity so I don't end up with Gundam-style random origins like Fareed McGillis, Gym Ghingham, or Tieria Erde

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
After going through the query process with four manuscripts and not getting much interest, I'm wondering how I can approach this from a different angle. For this most recent manuscript, I had a couple of agents go over both my query letter and my first ten pages. I got feedback saying the pages were strong, and both the query and the premise were solid, but I've gotten nothing but rejections since then. Most were forms, but one did write me back to say this: "You write well, and this is such a great idea, so I am absolutely mystified as to why I am not getting that (somewhat magical, always unpredictable) "Yes! This is for me!" feeling. I'm sorry to report that I haven't quite figured that out yet--but if I do think of anything, I'll certainly let you know."

While I appreciate hearing I write well (Hell, I'm always happy to take a compliment), I'm not sure how to proceed when the feedback I'm getting is "Looks great, pass." I've run into the same problem with contests, as well. I've had my work featured in a couple, but I've never gotten a bite from an agent off one. I did have a couple of judges who passed say 'I can't help/rep your book but I'll be first in line to buy it', which was nice, but still not super helpful.

At this point, I want to network more, but I get this weird feeling in my gut when I see stuff like the ticket price for the local writers convention being $800. I could afford it if I saved up, but spending almost a grand on a chance of meeting someone who might want to see my work and might accept it seems like a real bad idea. Kind of like falling into a gambling hole - you do one con first, then one more because you know this time will be the one to do it, and then ten cons later you're out $8,000 and no better off than where you started.

I've also joined some local writers groups, but I've run into issues there, too. Of the groups in my area, it's a mix of either open mic nights (aka poetry slams), 'shut up and write'-style groups where you don't share your work, and hobbiest groups of people who don't have any intention of trying to get published. Those are good for feedback, but they're not so good for helping me bridge the gap between finishing a book and getting someone to look at it.

I'm wondering if there's an angle I'm missing here. The only other avenue I've heard a lot is 'write short stories for recognition', but I have yet to produce a single short story I think is worth publishing. I also don't really enjoy reading short stories, so I'd feel like kind of a liar writing them and I think that probably comes through in the effort. If that really is my only path to success, though, I guess I'll have to suck it up and 'git gud'.

Anybody have any other suggestions for ways I can approach this? At this point, I'm feeling okay about my writing itself (though I have been working to simply my stories since a goon told me earlier that I need better ideas), but I'm absolutely lost on how to connect with people who could be interested. I've tried nothin' and I'm all out of ideas!

EDIT to say that I think I've made a similar to post to this before, so I appreciate you good people all enduring my whining/venting. I know I've just got to stick with it and either it will happen or it won't, but some days are a lot harder than others.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 24, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MockingQuantum posted:

This is what I'm doing and a lot of people are coming out of the woodwork telling me they have had a hard time finding a group with that focus.

I suspect this doesn't apply to Naerasa so much, but for everyone else who is thinking about starting a writing group with a professional aim-- please please please be honest about where you are as a writer. I've gotten some false starts in writing groups because the person leading it has never written, much less published, an entire novel, but wasn't upfront about that fact, and actually kind of misrepresented himself. When the group met the first time, it instantly put a bad taste in everyone's mouth that I think wouldn't have been there if he had just said that he was putting together a group for professional writers or people looking to publish, but that he himself was not published yet.

I just had a friend who runs a writing group ask me to come talk to the group about the process of getting published, and I do not for the life of me understand why she's asking me to do it. You wouldn't want to hear a minor league washout tell you how to get to the major leagues, so why would you want to hear a writer who hasn't been able to get published talk about getting published?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I like Dan Harmon's story wheel, but I've struggled with how to apply it for determining pacing. I know he says the pieces aren't all equal eighths, but it seems like the middle/bottom portions take up a much bigger chunk of the story than the wheel would suggest.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Stuporstar posted:

Ok, but what if your story ends up more like this?

1. A character is in a zone of comfort,
2. But they want something.
3. They enter an unfamiliar situation,
4. Adapt to it,
5. Get what they wanted,
6. Pay a heavy price for it,
7. Enter a totally loving freaky situation. Oh gently caress, what's going on?
8. Fuuuuuuuuuck! (character ends up changed into something they don't want to be)

If there's nothing to hint at 7 and 8 earlier on in the story, then it's likely to be a pretty unsatisfying ending. A lot can work if you set it up right, though.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Safety Biscuits posted:

Maybe your writing, on a sentence-by-sentence level, just doesn't stand out enough? Sounds a bit like your problem is that there's nothing really wrong with it, but there's nothing too special about it either. Networking isn't ultimately going to sell your book, you know?

Yeah, I know what you're saying, and it's honestly my biggest worry. I think I know how to write something that's technically good, but 'technically good' is something you can figure out with rules and guidance. Making something good stand out as special is a lot harder and there aren't any magic tricks on how to do it.

As for the networking part, I hate it and I don't want to do it either, but all the advice in my life is coming from boomers who are probably mad they can't tell me to go knock on the doors of publishing houses with a printed copy of my manuscript. I basically can't have a conversation about anything remotely related to any kind of career without it devolving into 'well have you leaned on your network????' Yeah, I have leaned on my network, but my network is full of thirty-somethings like me who have even fewer connections than I do. Jesus, my network is made of people who are stoked when they can make the rent.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
That is also true and why I'm not giving up. Maybe one of these days I'll even up my odds and write one of those strong women protags agents all seem to want, but for the moment I'll keep pushing my book with dudes.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

just do a find/replace instant gender swap.

That is gonna make things real complicated in a story about a character coming to terms with being a gay man.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Okua posted:

Here's some venting: Coming up with titles is haaaaard.
Is it even possible to come up with a fantasy title that doesn't sound cliche as hell.

Stupid Newbie's Big Spooky Fantasy Story

There, now you owe me 10% royalties of every book you sell.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

crabrock posted:

here are some fantasy titles i came up with for you:

SWORD TROMBONE
SEASONAL VESTIBULE
THE OWNER OF A VARIABLE AMOUNT OF THINGS
THE REVERSE ECLIPSE
GONE BONES
LAFFY TAFFY GOBLIN SLAYER
VALEDICTORIAN KNIGHT
WIRELESS TREBUCHET
THE JOY OF IMPROPER FOOD SANITATION
A LIFE DEFINED BY BUBBLES
HUGE JACKMAN
THE GREENTHUMB WIZARD'S GROWING DIARY
WHET HOT AURTHURIAN SUMMER
EQUESTRIAN FINESSE
UNITED STEAKS
PIG WHIP
THE PERILS OF THE FACE HUNT
THE STORM THAT WAS CANCELED

gently caress I really wanna read WIRELESS TREBUCHET and UNITED STEAKS

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Edit: 30 minutes later remembered my working title right now is Amulet of Air :lol:

Consider jazzing it up with a subtitle like "Amulet of Air: A Good Book, part of the Hell Yeah Fantastical Book Cycle"

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

crabrock posted:

it's just all articles, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions now.

"A happily, cheery polkadotted around. Red, blue. The godly ghostly underneath."

-a famous book, probably

Jesus Christ, somebody get this man a Nobel Prize for Style

fridge corn posted:

it's not my intention to write something so obviously dense and obtuse

then maybe reconsider your posting style hahahahahahah

Extremely good jokes aside, I do see your point. I think it's fair to say that you do come across less experimental prose in genre than you do in 'literary' fiction, but only because people have a tendency to put anything that seems experimental in the literary bucket even if it has elements that would put it under genre. For example, some people think of The Metamorphosis as literary fiction, but it's still a story about a man turning into a bug. A lot of this stuff comes down to both the perspective of the reader and the perspective of the current generation in the publishing community.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 30, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I wrote the first few pages of my first book on a pad of paper from the office. I've also typed out chapters on my phone. Neither method is exactly fun, but both are better than not writing at all.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

the old ceremony posted:

you all write like shitass balls and one day your novels will float out to sea and be lost

Hell, that's honestly better than I was expecting.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

Lost stories are better than the ones you can actively read anyways

Anything could happen in a lost story

More mythic that way

Anything can happen in a story that's written like shitass balls

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

anime was right posted:

thats a lot of words for "write more"

It's saying more than that, though. Not only is it saying "write more", but it's also saying that writing poo poo is an important part of learning to write well. Producing work you hate isn't a sign of failure; it's an opportunity to figure out why you hate it and work towards something you love. To condense that down to "write more" misses the point, which is that bad work isn't wasted work, but work towards future success.

Mirage posted:

I tend to think of writing as more like when schoolkids doodle in their books and turn pictures of Washington into a Japanese schoolgirl or something.

Is this what the kids are doing now?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Xelkelvos posted:

Dunno if this was posted in CC somewhere else: http://io9.gizmodo.com/write-a-short-story-about-the-economics-of-the-future-a-1800020162

I'm not involved in this, but I figured some goons might be interested and want to give it a shot. The subject is about a Universal Basic Income where everyone receives a sum of money that is budgeted to fit their basic needs (whatever that's defined to be) but it's given with no conditions on how it's actually spent. The word limit is 5,000. Submissions are due on this page by November 1 (the start of NaNoWriMo). The prize for being put on the short list is $1000 and the grand prize is $12,000 (paid in $1000 installments over 12 months).

Full Topic:

Might be worth a shot for some folks. :shrug:

The prompt is kind of weird because they're asking for a story but it's written like they want an essay instead. Also, they say they want a nuanced critique, but the whole project seems very pro-UBI in general. Is it a critique they want, or an affirmation of the theory? An exploratory essay or a fictional narrative?

I'll give it a try because I think it's an interesting prompt, but I won't be surprised if the winners turn out to be glowing non-stories about the greatness of UBI.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

If I can honestly ask, how does this synopsis read

Alex Fernandez has always lived in a world of heroes. She, like everyone else, has found herself stranded in the middle of a war that has lasted decades. Alien invasions target the Earth for reasons unknown to any, devastating and reshaping society as we know it. In recent times a benevolent alien group have arrived to fight for humanity, defend them from the horrors of space. They are the Neo Damocles, the heroes of humanity.

Only Alex knows they are not the only champions on the planet. A mysterious collection of individuals have been fighting against the alien invaders for much longer, ones unknown to the public at large. Alex finds herself thrust in the middle of the conflict between the invaders, the Neo Damocles, and this mysterious force known to her as the Lightning Brigade. She finds herself heir apparent to a power and legacy that goes beyond anything she has ever known, one that threatens to destroy her entire life.

I feel like I can't ever explain my own writing, and this just feels like poo poo to me.

I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but the one thing that sticks out here is the multiple instances of 'Alex finds herself'. On the surface, this is an issue because it's repetitive, but it's also troubling on a deeper level because it suggests Alex's actions are driven by the plot and not the other way around. Can you rewrite your query in such a way that it shows the choices Alex has to make, or does she not have control at any point in the story? If she doesn't ever have control, you may have fundamenal issues with your manuscript. Both agents and readers are looking for stories where characters' decisions have a meaningful impact on the narrative. They're not looking for stories about people being swept along by the tide.

When you're writing a query letter, consider these four points I shamelessly stole from QueryShark:

1) Who is the main character?
2) What does she want?
3) What is keeping her from getting what she wants?
4) What must she sacrifice to get what she wants?

That's it. That's what the story is. Unless, I guess, you're doing some crazy literary poo poo where you eschew pedestrian fancies like the traditional narrative arc. It doesn't sound like you're doing that, though, so you and your query should both be able to answer those questions.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 11, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

That is an excellent point. The answer is a bit complicated because the thrust of the story is Alex gaining the power to actually decide what to do for herself, at least from her POV. But I can definitely rejigger what I have with that in mind.

The last thing that happens in this story is the plot moving characters along. A huge thing with the story is consequences for your actions and characters choosing to do this or the other so I'm definitely giving the wrong vibe with that.

If your manuscript supports what you're saying, then yeah, you're right about the summary giving the wrong vibe. Is Alex the only POV in the story? From what you're saying, it sounds like she doesn't take the most active role until later. If she's not the only POV, is there someone else who moves the story early on?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

Without going too much into it

Yes, there are a lot of characters that move the story. Alex is kind of sandbagged early on as a very Audience Surrogate type, some one that exists in the world but doesn't have the power to really do much about it. Kind of, I guess, Luke Skywalker-y.

She is the primary POV character, but by no means the only one. The cast is quite large and spread out due to all of the nonsense going on. It's honestly been one of my bigger problems explaining the exact story because a lot of it is characters dealing with other characters doing poo poo or the fall out of certain actions. Within the first 50 pages, we have three other POV characters moving things along around and because of Alex. The core conflict comes down to, super boiled down, the miscellaneous alien invaders, the Neo Damocles, and the Lightning Brigade, and where Alex falls between them.

It's also very much book 1 of a series, so her full character development I have planned only really gets started here. Like I said, I'm terrible at trying to succinctly explain my stuff, it's just too wrapped up in my own headspace most of the time.

It sounds like you've got a lot going on, so I can definitely see why you'd be having trouble explaining the story succinctly. Just out of curiosity, what's your word count?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

I misused the word.

Really should have said 'another pass' if it doesn't get attention as is. So that's my bad.

You know, you can always post a chapter sample here (here being CC in general, not this thread) for critique if you're unsure of what you're sending out. Goons can be pretty ruthless, but you'll probably get as much good advice as you do ball-crushing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

cut the 'when a clue happens she's brought back line, its implicit in the rest. otherwise that's p solid imo

e:

Sunati’s absence brings Caden down a path of depression and isolation, but when a clue in the case breaks, she is brought back into the fold. when a rogue synthetic servant designed by the most powerful biotech company in the city goes berserk and kills its creators, Caden...

I don't know, change it up like that and you're looking at one long-rear end sentence.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I've been knocking around a query letter for my most recent manuscript and I've done a few passes after getting feedback from a couple of agents. In case anyone wants to see what this feedback hell looks like, I'm going to post the iterations I've done and the feedback I've gotten on each, and then finally the draft I put together today based on the most recent round of feedback. Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if I'm still floundering like a loving idiot.

Letter Number One posted:

It’s not easy to kill a mind reader. It’s even harder to stop them once they’re dead. PERMEABLE MINDS is a 95,000 word science fiction novel that will appeal to readers of Claire North’s The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August or The Rise of Io by Wesley Chu.

Gillen Lynch has spent his entire life preparing to murder his mind-reading friend, Eduardo Sanchez. That’s why he’s not surprised when the murder itself goes off without a hitch. He manages to stabs his friend, frame his wife, and flee the city within the span of sixty minutes. Everything is going just the way he planned it - until he discovers his victim stowing away inside his head.

Andrew Warner just torched a decade-long friendship with Eduardo after confessing his love for Eduardo’s wife. All Andrew wants to do is apologize and try to make things right, but his hopes for reconciliation are destroyed when he witnesses Eduardo being murdered by their mutual friend. Fortunately, Andrew manages to escape unscathed. Unfortunately, he starts hearing Eduardo’s voice inside his head. The doctors tell him the voice is just a temporary side-effect of witnessing a violent crime, but Andrew isn’t so sure he can blame this on his imagination. Most imaginary friends can’t give out new information - and they definitely don’t ask for help avenging their deaths.

With the dead Eduardo digging through their heads, both Gillen and Andrew are forced to face the secrets and fears that sent their friendships south. If they can endure his mind games, they’ll be able to atone for their past mistakes. If they can’t, they’ll go insane.

Agent feedback: 1) This isn't a sci-fi, it's a thriller. The comp titles don't work because of that, so scrap them and change the genre. 2) You're not focused enough on the main conflict: Eduardo is in Gillen's head and is trying to kill him. 3) Does Andrew need to be in this query? 4) It's too long, cut off 5,000 words.

I listened to points 1, 2, and 4, but kept Andrew because I thought I knew better. I was a little unsure about the genre change, so I acquiesed on that since I figure I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. That got me to pass #2.

Letter Number Two posted:

Gillen Lynch is a successful man and he’s not going to let his secrets hold him back. Unfortunately, his friend Eduardo not only knows his secrets, but can see every other thought in Gillen’s head. Gillen has spent years planning how to murder his mind-reading friend, so he’s not surprised when his plans go off without a hitch. He manages to kill Eduardo, frame his wife, and flee the city within the span of sixty minutes. Everything is going just the way he planned it - until he starts hearing Eduardo’s voice inside his mind. Eduardo knows exactly how he died, too, and he’s looking for revenge.

As if Gillen doesn’t have enough to handle, he also left a real problem back at the crime scene. Andrew Warner, another one of Eduardo’s friends, witnessed the murder in gruesome detail. He’s also hearing a voice in his head. The doctors tell him the voice is just a temporary side-effect of witnessing a violent crime, but Andrew isn’t so sure he can blame this on his imagination. Most imaginary friends can’t give out new information - and they definitely don’t ask for help avenging their deaths.

With Eduardo guiding them from inside their heads, Gillen and Andrew are forced onto a collision course where only one of them can make it out alive. If they want to survive, they’ll have to overcome Eduardo’s influence. If they can’t do that, they’ll be joining him in death.

PERMEABLE MINDS is a thriller with paranormal elements and is complete at 87,000 words.

I sent out pass 2. That got me about 15 form rejections, so I decided to get more feedback. This is what I got:

Agent feedback: 1) You're focusing on all the wrong poo poo. Stop wasting time on Andrew and tell us more about Gillen. 2) You're leaving too many details out. I come away from this query with more questions than answers. How does Gillen kill a mind reader? Why does he kill him? 3) The title is really bad. You should change it.

I listened to all of those points (finally realizing that yes, Andrew had no place in the query), and tried again, this time with a new title. I also ended up adding like 1,000 words in another editing pass, though that's neither here nor there.

Letter Number Three posted:

I’m currently seeking representation for my speculative thriller, LISTENER’S REMAINS, which is complete at 88,000 words. Based on your interest in_________, I’m submitting my manuscript for your consideration. 

On paper, the murder of Eduardo Sanchez looks simple. His business partner, Gillen Lynch, stabbed him with a cheese knife and fled the scene of the crime. What’s missing is the reason Gillen murdered Eduardo: his power to read people’s minds.

Eduardo’s powers have been haunting Gillen for years. The thought of someone discovering Gillen’s secrets terrifies him, especially if they learn how Gillen’s father died or how Gillen feels when he looks at other men. At first, Gillen tried keeping his mind empty through meditation, but a crucial slip-up forces him to cut off Eduardo’s power at the source. Killing Eduardo doesn’t make things better, however. Instead, it makes them a Hell of a lot worse.

In a last-ditch effort to save himself, Eduardo copies his mind into Gillen’s head. With no barriers between them, Gillen can’t stop Eduardo from digging up the secrets he’d hoped to take to his grave. He also can’t run from the police when someone else is controlling his legs. He’s scared, powerless, and unprepared to face a host of pursuers he didn’t know he had. Some are other mind readers; some have Eduardo’s copies in their heads. All of them are looking for revenge.

With his pursuers bearing down on him and his own thoughts working against him, Gillen must overcome his fears and take back his mind. If he can’t, he’ll be at the mercy of the man who has every right to want him dead.

Better, right? I thought so. Turns out, nah. Another 15 form rejections. Okay, still not working. Let's get more feedback.

Agent feedback: 1) Genre may not be right. It's more speculative than thriller, so try dropping the thriller part and shopping it around that way. 2) It's still too vague. What is Gillen's relationship to Eduardo? What happened to Gillen's dad? Don't worry about spoiling stuff. Agents are not readers, so don't leave us asking too many questions. 3) First paragraph is unnecessary. Cut it and weave the info into the rest of the query.

Well, okay, gently caress. Guess I shouldn't have listened on the genre. Or maybe the first agent was right. Who knows? It's probably a sign the book has fundamental problems, but I'm not ready to give up on it just yet, so let's give this query another shot. This leads me to what I have now. Apologies for typos, since I just finished this pass.

Letter Number Four posted:

I’m currently seeking representation for my speculative fiction manuscript, LISTENER’S REMAINS, which is complete at 88,000 words. Based on your interest in speculative fiction, I’m submitting my manuscript for your consideration.

Gillen Lynch has a complicated relationship with his brother-in-law, Eduardo Sanchez. Thanks to Gillen's sister, the two men have been friends for years, but they're both keeping secrets from each other. Gillen hasn't mentioned he's attracted to Eduardo; Eduardo hasn't mentioned he's a mind reader. It's an awkward situation made that much worse when Gillen learns the truth. Betrayed by the deception and mortified by his attraction to his sister’s spouse, Gillen decides to take out his self-hatred on Eduardo by killing him.

Murdering a mind reader is no easy task, but this isn’t the first time Gillen has killed. His other victims didn’t mean anything to him, however, and they definitely didn’t use their dying breaths to copy their minds into Gillen’s head. Now, with no barriers between them, Gillen can’t stop Eduardo from digging up the secrets he’d hoped to take to his grave. He also can’t run from the police when someone else is controlling his legs. He’s scared, powerless, and unprepared to face the fallout of his actions as he flees from both the cops and a group of mysterious pursuers who are as connected to Eduardo as he is.

With his pursuers closing in on him and Eduardo threatening to tear him apart from the inside, Gillen must overcome his self-hatred and take back his mind. If he can’t, he’ll be at the mercy of the man who has every right to want him dead.

So that's where I stand now. After this round of queries, I'm about ready to call it dead, since I'm at 30+ form rejections and probably another 15 Closed/No Replies. My supply of potential agents is dwindling rapidly at this point, which means this book's chances are just about tapped out. I'm already about 2/3rds of the way through my next manuscript, so I'm at the point where I've mostly divorced myself from this one, but I'd still like to see it through to some kind of conclusion. If anybody has any thoughts on how the query has progressed (or regressed), please let me know, because at this point I'm more or less at a loss.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Burkion posted:

One thing I might suggest, big laugh considering my own issues with this exact kind of stuff, is lead off with the premise itself.

A murderer has his last victim literally stuck inside his head, a mental ghost that is seeking to destroy his life the same way Gillen ended his.

You seem to be burying the lead a bit too much in that regard, the last one almost doesn't explain it well enough.

Why he was killed comes after, I think. How Eduardo survives in Gillen comes after. Open with the important part. Murderer must contend with his victim inside his own head.

I could try throwing a logline like that in the first paragraph like I did in the first query. People didn't seem to respond to it, or any of the similar loglines I used when I've pitched the book on twitter, but I see what you mean about putting the hook front and center.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ketchup vs catsup posted:

In the first three Gillen's spent his entire life preparing to kill Eduardo, and in the 4th he decides to do it after finding out the guy reads minds? Which is it?

It's both since he found out young and has been planning for years. I didn't think it was necessary to explain the timeline from planning to execution since it didn't seem like the most relevant detail and I'm trying to pare down the extraneous details.

Entire life is relative, since they were both teenagers at the time, so to Gillen the time from before finding out might as well not be a thing. Gillen kind of already had an inkling he was gay then, but his sister and Eduardo were already a thing, so he figured he'd bide his time and try and block Eduardo instead of killing. The blocking isn't perfect, though, so eventually Gillen goes back to the tried and truth method of murdering people who make problems in his life.

In truth, the time lapse from Gillen finding out to Gillen killing Eduardo is probably less a query issue and more a story issue, which is one of the reasons I think this isn't working on a level beyond the query letter. I'd fight harder for it, but reading the Manuscript Wish List tweets from agents yesterday really drove home how this is not a book anybody is in the market for even if I polish it, so I'm not going to sweat this one too much longer. I still think it's a cool concept and I'm happy enough with the book as a whole, but I don't know that there's a place for it right now in traditional publishing even if I make it perfect.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 14, 2017

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
If I cared about the money, I wouldn't be writing, haha. My real worry for self-publishing is that I'd be taking a book that isn't actually any good and wasting time and effort promoting it, when instead I could be working on writing more and making something people want to read. I know the publishing market is its own beast that doesn't necessarily dictate the taste of the general reading populace, but really, if they don't want to read it, why should I think anyone else does? Sure, I've had critique partners and beta readers say they liked it, but a sample size of 10-15 people isn't indicative of the population as a whole. I'd rather trunk this and try again on the next book than keep rolling this boulder up the hill so it can smack me in the face again.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Speaking of marketing, the fact that you have to do all the publicity and stuff yourself is the primary reason I haven't looked much into selfpub. I can't sell poo poo.

I've got the opposite problem, since I spent 8 years doing online marketing/brand management and now I loving hate the thought of it. Writing was the one thing that got me through a wasted decade of misery in marketing and the idea of going back to the internet marketing guru routine as part of writing makes me want to die. I know that I'll have to market myself online even if I do get traditionally published, but Jesus, at least then I can share a little of the burden. Doing it all on my own would be brutal.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

fridge corn posted:

whats a good resource for culturally ambiguous names for characters? the story im writing doesn't take place anywhere specific and i don't want my readers to think it does but i definitely don't want a bunch of dumb white people names

You don't want dumb white people names, sure, but how about you use some of these really good white people names?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
It's your story, don't be afraid to let foxes gently caress the way you want them to.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Stuporstar posted:

What do ya'll do when you notice you're using a particular word too much? I keep shoving "especially" into my sentences, can't think of any word that works better. I finally checked the thesaurus, and not a single word in there has the right emphasis or works in the same context. It's driving me crazy.

I find a new favorite word and switch one addiction for another.

That's not a joke. It's a real bad habit :/

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

CantDecideOnAName posted:

As Mark Twain once said, "Substitute 'drat' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

My problem is the same in writing as in speech; I hedge my bets with 'probably' and its ilk. I'm trying to get better with this in both forms.

Seems is another big hedging word a lot of people could stand to eschew, myself included. It doesn't seem like it at first (there's that seem again! but writing and speech have a lot of differences. The way we're trained to talk to each other, we can intentionally put distance between ourselves and our actions/who we're talking to so we don't have to shoulder the responsibility of every action. Writing is different because you're supposed to make it as up close and immediate as possible (at least, in this current literary climate).

If you don't believe me, go look over work emails at whatever company you're at (or school emails if you're not working). People who don't want to be called on their bullshit will cling to passive voice and distancing phrases like they're the lone buoys in an ocean of personal responsibility. It's not a great habit for communicating, but it's safe when you care less about effective communication and more about keeping your job.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
NaNo is the closest I'll ever feel to being a regular gym-goer the week after New Years. I don't see why you need a special event to write a book, just write a book. drat.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks for the response, this is really helpful. I think I'm having exactly the problem you're talking about, where I have a couple of scenes or a mood or beats that I want in a story, but lack a larger context for them. I think additionally I have the problem that I really want to write horror, which tends to be so mood dependent, so I get wrapped up in trying to make the story ~*spooky*~ that it doesn't work on a basic storytelling level. I obviously don't know how to write great horror, but I think that may need to come after figuring out how to write a great anything.

I think I might revisit my TD entry, pull it apart and expand it, see if I can't turn it into a story that's a little more interesting and satisfying. Maybe I'm off the mark here, but it seems like figuring out how to basically tell a story and make it satisfying might be worth figuring out with short-form work, since jumping into a novel without some foundation in fundamental storytelling is probably an exercise in frustration.

I don't know poo poo about horror, so this may be bad advice, but it seems to me like the key is to figure out your main character first, and then figure out what horror is to them. What's scary/creepy to you may not work if the characters aren't moved by it and vice versa. Make sure their horror aligns with the horror of your story and you should be in a good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

After The War posted:

There will be people there of all experience levels - not only in writing skill, but the range of their interaction as well, so be ready for that. We had just finished up a "how to get better" panel where every panelist siad "you're going to start off lovely, just keep at it" in one way or another, and were taking questions. One guy stood up and said "You way we all start off bad, but I shared my first story with the 1632 fan community and they said I was great, so what do you say about that?" :smug:

I really want to read this guy's story.