Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

TequilaJesus posted:

How do you guys decide where to put in chapter breaks? Good cliffhangers or ends of scenes? How much variance in chapter length is too much?

I write pulpy poo poo, but I always try to make sure my chapters include three things: 1.) An element of progress along the main story arc (An old mentor teaches Barack about Sauron's secret weakness: love). 2.) A smaller arc that's started and completed within the chapter, even if it's fairly insignificant (Barack orders a P'zone, it arrives!). 3.) A cliffhanger or mystery at the end that compels readers to keep reading (Barack gasps. "What's this beautiful diamond ring doing in my P'zone?!").

I almost always plan these three things before I start writing a chapter. When I've gotten them all on the page, chapter's done.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

ravenkult posted:

write is bad

Quit designing covers, son, you've got the chops to make it as a Goodreads Reviewer

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Would you say I have a plethora of words?

Truly a myriad of words

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

sebmojo posted:

you're a troll

A myriad of trolls