Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Doctor Zero posted:

Chat GPT will do grammar checking, but Word is better TBQH.

The best use of "AI" I've found so far is Eleven Labs voice AI to read your work back to you. I catch things I miss by reading my own work, even reading it out loud to myself.

Plus you can make cool celebrity voices and have Sir David Attenborough or Tom Hiddleston read your stuff to you.

A word of warning. If you put your writing into AI it will be stolen and used to feed the algorithm. I recommend against this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Put it aside. I've had something I was working on for a while, but the problem is that too much of it focused explicitly on two characters interacting. I needed more characters, but they all came in later and I couldn't figure out how to put characters in to pad out the cast earlier. So it's shelved.

I have about 100k of a story that just kind of petered out. It needs another 50k to "be done" but I don't want something that long. If I feel like going back, I'll mercilessly hack the boring parts out. I tried to make a cyberpunk space opera and I think I need to do one or the other.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres some interesting tension between cyberpunk and space opera, like cyberpunk is cynical and often focused on how people are trapped, where (at least the most classic formulation of) space opera is romantic and often about freedom (lots of exotic locations, untamed planets etc), and both genres are 'enabled' by technology.

Right, mine was people living in a cyberpunk life on a huge space station and then getting picked up into the wider galaxy that was more space opera and trying to make a point something like Cyberpunk for those Without, Space Opera for those With.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

If we're also going to speak about the nuts and bolts of typing, TRY OUT THE KEYBOARD BEFORE YOU BUY.

Like, really. I bought an iPad with the Magic Keyboard figuring that would be my "wiring machine" and it worked great until it made my RSI flare up so badly I could barely use my hands for three days. Personally I like the action on Apple laptops, and Lenovos.

Seriously. Try a Lenovo Carbon X1. You don't need to shell for the latest generation, but I would buy one that can run Windows11, so maybe one that's not much more than 4 or 5 years old.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Note: Mac has a good keyboard now. If you’re shopping used, the “butterfly” keyboards from around 2015 to 2019 were very very bad. Apple.