Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Chairchucker posted:

First person present tense worked p. well in Hunger Games.

I read the Hunger Games when it came out and I don't remember being bothered by it.

I recently read Red Rising and it definitely bothered me in that. But that's also a garbage book for garbage people.

Currently reading Handmaid's Tale and the first person present tense is very off-putting. The book has wonky rear end prose in general. What the gently caress is this yoda-rear end sentence in chapter 2: "Late Victorian, the house is, a family house, built for a large rich family."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Stuporstar posted:

stream-of-consciousness style writing

awww crap, this is one of those?

hated reading Faulkner in school

funny how stream-of-consciousness writing results in the exact opposite style of reading in that you have to reread the same passage multiple times to figure out what the gently caress the author is talking about

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Argh it's killing me, but stupid Gone Girl, which I've never picked up because I know, I KNOW, it's not the kind of book I like... but those opening lines are killing me. I'm probably going to have to read it now, and I'm not going to like it. And they aren't snappy; they aren't description, description, verb. They are just loving weird. A KERNEL OF CORN, wtf.

I haven't read Gone Girl but know the just of it - the whole shtick is the dudes' super creepy and the reader isn't sure if they should trust him/unreliable narrator etc. So that's a pretty good tone setter no?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm on my seventh novel (I'll get published some day!!! :suicide: ) and I'm having the same issue in the final stretch as every other one; I'm really anxious about finishing the first draft because working on this has been my waking life for 6+ months. My first took me two years. When I was done I fell into a depressive episode.

:ughh:

In my experience that's just how creative endeavors work for a lot of people: it's super depressing when it ends.

I used to do monthly live sketch shows with a comedy group and while the show was always a rush when it was over it was like falling down a hole. It's just so much work and energy and excitement and then it's over. From friends who work in TV it's a similar thing with wrap parties. Everyone is trying to have fun and celebrate but it's super depressing.

I don't know what the answer is. It's part of the work I suppose.