Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
TLDR: Give up writing nobody reads anyway. Put all your effort into narrating audiobooks. Which isn't writing. You're just telling stories. Totally different you know what just give up and go play Skyrim some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sebmojo posted:

In a sense video games are the new books but you dont write them: you play them.

oh good I feel a hell of a lot better then.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey there, fellow writers who'd rather not be writing.

I found this pretty good article on the 60 rules to writing Science Fiction Short Stories. I'm sure it'll be eviscerated here but hey, for those of you who should be writing but want to blow time reading about writing instead, have at it!

http://www.terrybisson.com/page2/page2.html

edit: this guy is amusing.

quote:

Small talk in SF is like carbonation in wine. It detracts.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 28, 2018

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh hey speaking of tenses, I just finished a book that alternated POV with tense and perspective(?)

Like - first person past tense, third person present tense, so you always know which person is represented in the story, and also the third-person present tense actually reads like the first-person past tense is recounting what the other person did, "Jane goes up to the door and says 'hey prick open up'".

It struck me as really odd for about two chapters and then it really fell into place. Can I remember the title of the book? No. I want to say "The Silence" maybe? But I could be wrong.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I will say this about that -- the writer in me protested much longer than the reader, as is the case with a lot of books. It's really hard to shut up your writer-brain.

The book I'm reading right now* shifts POV so often within chapters it's mind boggling, at least until I stopped screaming like a baby about the rule-breaker and his lovely writing, and then oh poo poo, I actually like the story.

*Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 9, 2018

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Djeser posted:

I've read a story told in non-linear epistolary format with paragraphs from two sources interleaved so it alternated between an article about the protagonist's birth and the protagonist's death. And that was in a sci-fi book, which everyone knows means it was genre garbage for babies.

House of Leaves or S?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Scrivener for mac is great. iOS? No idea.

But mac? It kicks rear end. Had it for five years now. Love it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Covok posted:

I've been dabbling with an LGBT+ erotic novel. How do you make sex not boring? Because, sex is kind of monotonous activity that is only good when you're like doing it. I've tried a lot of metaphors and textile descriptions...and fetishes...but I think it's kind of boring. Anyone got any advice on how to write that kind of stuff?

Two words: Scat Goblins

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Thanks for all the scrivener advice everyone :)

I think I maybe need to change my system to bashing out words on the commute but then organising myself properly with a pc regularly. My desktop is an old gaming rig that is prone to unexplained crashes so I’m way of using that, I do have a laptop my employer gave me for work that I suppose I can use, at least to organise stuff in Word. I’d like a Mac but they’re super expensive and we’re saving hard to buy a house right now.

Macs are awful pretty and great if you're going to do graphics-intensive stuff, but for Gosh sakes don't buy one so you can do writing. I mean, yeah, do that for your second novel.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just like my struggle in dating, I'm having problems with length, it's just too much for the thunderdome.

Past three weeks I've signed up, and only finalized one of the three, not because I suck in general, no, but because I suck at finding the nugget that'll tell the story I have in mind.

Conversely, if I try to write a short blip of a tale about a single moment, turning moment, in a bigger picture tale, it's full of fluff and no story.

How in the poo poo do you make a tale that captures the events necessary for the payoff, without either lopping off most of it so the story is just confusing, or giving up because you're just too long. I mean the story - the STORY is just too long.

feedmyleg posted:

Does offline Google Docs perform better than online? Because with the online version, anything of real length starts slowing it down significantly and glitching out pretty hard for me.

Break your story into chapters/scenes, of 3-4K words each.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

feedmyleg posted:

Do you mean just have separate documents for each chapter, or do I not know about some feature of Docs that lets you do this all within one document? Because Docs organizational tools are extremely poor and having 30 chapters in 30 documents is a nightmare. That's why I use Scrivener, but I hate its lack of cloud storage, lack of Android app, and lack of syncing across devices—outside of using a third-party, which I do, but it means that occasionally I wind up with conflicts when it bugs out.

Yep. Different docs for different chapters, put them all into one directory, name/number them accordingly. It's not pretty, but it's backed up.

OR keep your scrivener files on Dropbox. Backups go there. I kind of fluctuate between the two. Google Docs for first run ideas rough notes and then scrivener when I'm ready to who are we kidding I haven't finished anything creative in four years.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for breaking down the critical spots in a TD/flash-fiction tale, that helps a lot.

Also, I film my stories as interpretive dance and then once it's in good enough shape, I transfer it to cassette via morse code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ccs posted:

Does anyone here do novel exchanges? I've been getting chapter-by-chapter critique on Critique Circle which is a great website with a great inline system, but there are large gaps between when chapters get posted and the same people are not always around to read each chapter. So while critters can point out line and chapter-specific problems, it's not great for getting feedback on the whole plot or character arcs.

If anyone else has a fantasy or sci-fi novel under 100,000 words and wants to exchange manuscripts for critique I'd be interested.

It sounds like a writers group I used to be involved with - there were five of us and we'd swap out chapters weekly. It was HUGELY helpful in getting my book finished and onto the NYT Bestseller list. ANd by that I mean I put my book on top of the list and took a photo.

Unfortunately I don't have anything worth reading right now, but check around your area. They always met at the library.