Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Present and past is even more minor when I tend to write past as "present, but 10 seconds ago," which feels even more noticeable since I work a lot on discover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I'm assuming they meant writing in past tense, but not from a time after the whole story has ended. In some cases, there is a clearer sense of when in the future a story is being told from -- for example when you see asides like "I was about to be proved very, very wrong."

Not sure how that relates to mixing tenses for various times in the past, though, since the writing is still in past tense. There's not a grammatical distinction between "I climbed the stairs (10 seconds ago)" and "I climbed the stairs (10 years ago)."

Yeah there isn't a tense confusion so much, but that's what I meant. Framing wise, I don't really relate writing in past tense as strictly "this has ended". I was pretty tired when I posted that and it doesn't really make a ton of sense or matter very much either.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd cop to the argument that they aren't timeless if it was like dickens but those are all good attention getters

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I skipped it but read it with your edits. Nice.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use draft2digital to get a tidy print on demand vs using createspaxe directly since I remember it being really annoying to manage with how much busywork poo poo you had to do. Doesn't really cost you anything, they take like 10% maybe. Definitely an avenue to look at.

D2d will also [Can also] handle digital distribution to nearly every digital store aside from Amazon (cause some banned authors were abusing it to bypass it or something) but you can still have D2D generate a super super crisp and clean mobi to upload to Amazon (which is nice since a lotta other places only need epubs so its generous if D2d to still offer it, IMO)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My interpretation is that you don’t keep it THAT close to the chest where it’s a shocker but dole it out in a slow way.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
just export to word and upload to google docs????

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use obsidian, but i pay for their syncing. if I didn't, I'd use google drive to sync it or probably github.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
While the use of he/him for the neutral pronoun colors the text, it's somewhat unavoidable for a book that was written in the late 1960s, I highly recommend checking out Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness for a entire planet of gender neutral / non-binary humans reckoning with the freaky (to them) cis guy who comes from space to try and invite the planets civilizations into an interplanetary accord

Le Guin never misses.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the Annihilation books don't give anyone proper names, just titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

My noo book is out. My newb ook. My neubuk.

this rules............. i'm almost to chapter 3 (the audiobook is really great).... i love it