Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gaius Marius posted:

Does it have a dark mode

It does, and some customization on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Wungus posted:

"oh poo poo actually you know what'd be cooler"

This might be the best way I've seen this stage of the process phrased to get the concept into my own brain. Thank you.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
This might be a dumb question, but I figure some of you might know. Is there a guide somewhere on "how to research?" I've come to the realization that I never got any education on that and it hasn't been an issue with my various employment because my job usually comes after that sort of thing has been done and I'm handed a packet of references and documentation.

Google just ain't cutting it anymore, ya know?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Thank you very much the both of you. That's exactly the type of thing I needed.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
In 2022 I finally broke a years-long depressive streak that had been squashing all of my creative impulses. In the last six months I got a first draft hammered out from the rough vomit and notes that have been laughing at my from the depths of my hard drive. Then, while I was taking a break from that one, I got the rough "just get it out of you" draft of my second book done. Wrapped that on the day before Xmas Eve. Between the two I wrote 175,000 words and had more fun doing that than I've had in years. Years!

Absolutely hooked.

Used lulu to print out a paperback of the first book. I have a handful of hi-lighter pens and a bunch of those little post it flags to mark it up with while I read it this week.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I'm at an impasse on a creative decision I made in my novel.
The bulk of the story is in first person, a very chatty one with the protagonist addressing the reader on occasion. At one point in the story he gets himself incapacitated and the viewpoint shifts to another character while they effect a rescue. That section is in third person. The follow up book uses this character as the protagonist and I was planning on writing it in third person, hence the switch.
I was lucky enough to get a few beta readers over the last month. Overall the response is split 50/50 on the viewpoint shift. Half were absolutely fine with it and the other half found it jarring.

I'm split. I could keep it as is, adding more to the character development earlier so they "earn" the focus better. I could re-write it in first person, and the subsequent book as well. Or I could remove it entirely and just have the rescue, when it comes, from the protagonist's 1st person viewpoint.

1st to 3rd switches, when I've run across them, are narrative choice I've personally found quite fun. Which is why I gave it a go. Both The Martian and The Bartimaeus Trilogy use that shift well.

Thoughts?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Can you go back and ask them what they thought was so jarring? Sudden switch far along in book vs. side character suddenly getting spotlight vs. whatever?

Seems that the character to whom I go 3rd person with was developing in a way that was annoying one of the readers and they felt the character hadn't "earned" the spotlight. That's definitely something I can address along with a stronger chapter title to indicate the switch.

Wungus posted:

This. There's a bunch of folk who are going to get confused or upset or lost if you make any artistic choice in a book, whether it's shifting POVs, tense, or even just cutting a sentence short. Do what you want, and do it on purpose.

(but note that doing it on purpose means committing thoroughly to making sure there's a reason you've done it, more than just "i guess this happened with these other people for a bit")
You're not wrong there. I am constantly amazed by the number of complaints about similar artistic choices in reviews I see when searching for something to read. I have no idea how people who ostensibly like to read can be so impatient with an author who is putting in effort to entertain them. (Reads a LitRPG) Oh, I get it now.

Thanks, I appreciate the input, especially the Damon Runyon! Not sure which way I'll jump yet, but I'll probably do a couple versions and decide which one I like better from there.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
"That time I was reincarnated as a LitRPG author, I'll jump on the bandwagon and cash in on the trend!"

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Fiction Writing Advice and Discussion: Read, Prompt, Repeat.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I use scrivener too, and since it uses Dropbox to sync, there is a copy of my current stuff in that account. I sync my Mac's work directory to my Synology NAS, so a current version always resides on both my Mac HD and the NAS. The NAS backs up nightly to backblaze.

I've had catastrophic data loss in the past and I don't like it one bit.
If I move to cheaper digs, I plan to rent a storage unit to keep a spare HD and paper copies of everything there so I have physical stuff offsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Absolutely. I’ve got a notebook I take everywhere. Any idea, every idea*, gets jotted down. Even if I don’t have a plan for it off the jump.

Once a week or so I’ll type them all up into my notes doc and tag them with stuff like #joke #diologuefor(character) #ohgodnotanotherbookidea and so forth.

*I’ve said it before, but I made a rule to drop whatever I’m doing and write ideas down when I get them. No exceptions. Since then, my cup runneth over.