Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
video
vlc
color
flux
advertisements
1080p
color temperature
ads
moving pictures
sony
amiga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

minivanmegafun posted:

finding small CRTs nowadays is surprisingly hard. I have an old CCTV monitor that works but the raster lines are vertical and not horizontal so it looks all weird; and it's b&w which isn't great for a color computer

my parents still have the 15in Amdek Color-I Plus composite monitor that we got with our Apple //c, they kept it when they sold the //c because I had my NES connected to it

I just tried it this Xmas and it still works great after not having been powered up for probably 25 years, there's a little tear in the antiglare fabric but it's otherwise in great shape

they're looking for a good home for it, PM me if you're interested

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have lots of Apple composite CRTs from when I resold apples on eBay

I also use a Genesis controller with my Amiga no problem op

my first computer was a Color Computer 2 and I still haven't beaten Dungeons of Daggorath

I also use a yospos approved CRT with the brand name LASER on the front for my Amiga and Atari ST

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

finding small CRTs nowadays is surprisingly hard. I have an old CCTV monitor that works but the raster lines are vertical and not horizontal so it looks all weird; and it's b&w which isn't great for a color computer

Can you use those color studio monitors that are cheap on ebay?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

back when i was a tot in grade school we had C64s and LASER Apple ][ clones

also if either of you happen to be near the chicago area i will go take one of your CRTs off of your hands

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

Can you use those color studio monitors that are cheap on ebay?

for some computers it just needs to accept composite

for others (timex sinclair 1000/zx81) it needs to accept NTSC RF (at least without modification)

in any case they're heavy and expensive to ship.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

minivanmegafun posted:

for others (timex sinclair 1000/zx81) it needs to accept NTSC RF (at least without modification)

lol if you aren't still finding 75-300 ohm converters in the bottom of every box in the house

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

flakeloaf posted:

lol if you aren't still finding 75-300 ohm converters in the bottom of every box in the house

plus, they're only like, what, $1 at your local surplus store if you somehow run out

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

right, but studio monitors often don't have RF inputs

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

most RF-only systems have either a kit or schematics for extracting composite (or sometimes better than composite)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

papa_november posted:

most RF-only systems have either a kit or schematics for extracting composite (or sometimes better than composite)

they also just make standalone RF demodulator boxes, including ones like this which are meant to feed campus tv systems or whatevr https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Composite-Stereo-Demodulator-Version/dp/B0191A2GU6

there's also old standalone tv tuners that'll take rf in and spit out composite or sometimes even s-video

you could also find a lot of them sold as devices to make your high end 80s tv cable-compatible, from the time period when analog cable wasn't widespread enough for many tvs to be able to tune it properly. they work fine with most rf-only devices as the 3 major standards for cable frequencies tended to put the channels 2-6 at the same place they were in the broadcast bands

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 21, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

minivanmegafun posted:

back when i was a tot in grade school we had C64s and LASER Apple ][ clones

also if either of you happen to be near the chicago area i will go take one of your CRTs off of your hands

the Amdek Color-I Plus that's in my parents' basement is actually in the Chicago area

PM me and I bet I can set something up

(you don't touch the Macs though, they're mine all mine all mine all mine)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tormod has dragon drivewire adapters ready to ship btw.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04012008

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Tormod has dragon drivewire adapters ready to ship btw.

Link?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
http://tormod.me/products.html

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
can't wait to see that dragon

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

this isn't even the tip of the iceberg

these guys bought out every atari warehouse on the west coast when they went under and have been selling new in box games and computers for over 20 years

new in box Atari 825 printers for $199

new in box Atari 1040STs for $400 (lmao)

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 22, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The lengths to which they've made a terrible website is still impressive to this day.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The lengths to which they've made a terrible website is still impressive to this day.

i ordered a new keyboard for my 1040ST from them and it came in an inside-out clorox box fully encased in official atari tamper-evident masking tape

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

that's an 80% discount from release date once you include inflation. :smugdog:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

everything about this is amazing

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Ro2uLFpfU

hmmmm

e: yeah that's bit flippin. according to the manual for the terminal emulator it lets you define a parity bit but it just ignores it

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 23, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sounds about right

but can you play canyon climber???

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

minivanmegafun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Ro2uLFpfU

hmmmm

e: yeah that's bit flippin. according to the manual for the terminal emulator it lets you define a parity bit but it just ignores it

I want this voice on my voicemail, this is what the future was supposed to sound like

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

greenpos ftw

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

continuing to spam this thread with an english computer instead of a welsh or american one

so i got my Timex Sinclair 1000 ( zx81 ) in.

it boots up!

but unfortunately the keyboard cable is toast. No input whatsoever, opened it up, and that brittle thing is broken.

This looks repairable, that thing's still really brittle but it's large enough pitch that I should be able to do something with it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

:laugh:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

This looks repairable, that thing's still really brittle but it's large enough pitch that I should be able to do something with it

I don't think I'd bother repairing the original cable, it's not that many pins so you could just solder in a permanent ribbon cable or something with a connector in the middle if you want to be fancy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if the keyboard is the same as the zx81 then i'm pretty sure someone makes brand new membranes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
hey so it seems the california digital site isn't working anymore so maybe you can't still buy the computers.

or maybe you still can by emailing them at catalog@cadigital.com idk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

hey so it seems the california digital site isn't working anymore so maybe you can't still buy the computers.

or maybe you still can by emailing them at catalog@cadigital.com idk

u bought the last one. congrats

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

An interesting video on the rise and fall of the Dragon 32/64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifDQ_OlUhTc

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akadajet posted:

u bought the last one. congrats

nah A Yolo Wizard bought one after me and there shoulda been 7 left after those 2 purchases went through

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

minivanmegafun posted:

i just clicked the buy button hours ago, I'll post it when it gets here

i already have a ti-99/4a which is probably a more interesting machine

Pretty sure I played on one of those when I was in kindergarten. Learned typing, and played some kind of space game.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 7, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
when i was a child, my dentist had one of those in the waiting room. my favourite memories of the dentist

p. sure it just had basic and the speech synth cart

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my dad has fond memories of making the TI computers at Epcot with speech synthesis say curse words in 1983

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

update on the TS1000 (aka zx81): keyboard was dead because Sir Clive Sinclair's Cheap As gently caress Ribbon Connectors Bent At A Horrible Angle got brittle and broke, that's hopefully fixed

I haven't been able to get any modern television to recognize its RF output; I'll be doing a composite mod on it in a bit

i brought the ti-99/4a home because i've been voluntold that i'm giving a presentation on computer programming to a bunch of pre-schoolers so logo it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

also i found that someone from DESiRE stumbled across a TI-99/4A in a thrift store and wrote what appears to be the first ever demo for this thing

and published it in january of this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSUhE03XFw

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=68783#c782200 posted:

Thought I'd write a little bit up on the genesis of this prod in case you guys are interested. We believe this is the first true demo/megademo on the TI99/4A, ever. Of course you have to be a little strict with the definition of a 'demo' to get that, but hey, it works for us. ;)

In 2014 I was visiting a foreign (to me) city, and found a dusty boxed TI99 in a pawn shop, buried under some hi-fi gear. I didn't buy it at the time, but I looked up if there had ever been a demoscene *anything* on it, and back then found nothing. That got me thinking. About six months later I moved to the same city, visited the same pawn shop, and haggled my way into very cheap TI ownership. At that point I asked Orbitaldecay if he was interested in something on it, and he absolutely was.

The original plan was a musicdisk (naturally my idea) or a simple scroller+effect+tune intro. The soundchip turned out to have a rather steep learning curve for me, and Orby & I were busy with some other prods. But the idea didn't go away. Sometime before @Party 2016, Orby got the ball rolling by getting RamonB5 interested and it was game on.

In the meantime 99tro by Frog got released, as well as some scene-ish but not quite "in the scene" stuff like Happy New Year 2015 by Asmusr (^^ see credits) so it was clear a simple intro would no longer cut it.

Fortunately, Orby and Ramon managed to recruit some of the best active devs on this platform, and once everyone was on board, after almost a year of hard work, here we are. Hopefully the results paid off. I personally am unbelievably proud of this thing, sure it's got a couple rough edges but for a platform first I think we set the bar at a pretty good height. Now the question is, who's gonna be the next challenger? :D

Some fun facts about the platform & this prod:
- We have the same sound & gfx chip as the MSX to work with, and a 16-bit CPU. That's awesome right? Well, the CPU is slow (3MHz) and *majorly* gimped by its 8-bit bus. It was never intended to go in this machine and it shows.
- An unexpanded TI has 256 bytes of general purpose "fast" RAM on that 8-bit bus. It also has 16k of video RAM but you can't use that for storing miscellaneous code or data. The usual add-on floppy controller gives you another 32k of *horrendously slow* RAM, and we ended up having to require that. It's there, it helps, but we still tried to avoid it as much as possible.
- The TI's built-in BASIC is slow and useless, and there's *no* ability to run inline assembly or compiled programs from disk. The assembler is supplied on a cartridge and requires the 32k RAM expansion. You can also get extended BASIC on a cartridge that is much better.
- You can run our demo direct from its own cartridge, or from disk using the "editor/assembler" cart, *or* from disk using an extended BASIC cart. That required three different loaders, but the choice is yours.
- Of the three main emulators that are around for this thing, two of them - Classic99 and JS99er - were made by members of the demo dev team, Tursi and Asmusr respectively. They have both since been updated to run all the scanline effects & general hackery that we needed to make this thing work, so go ahead and emulate. B)

• Locked thread