Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

$79 is too much but I want to get another weird 80s home micro. I already have a ti-99/4a which I've been meaning to make an effortpost about one day

i keep trying to get a Timex Sinclair because they're tiny and I don't need more large crap around my house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

welp I just BIN'd a Timex Sinclair 1000 for $29 on eBay with the 16KB upgrade

I should go buy a cheap USB capture card and do a dumb effort post with these computers.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

eschaton posted:

what does your heart tell you

post the membrane

i just clicked the buy button hours ago, I'll post it when it gets here

i already have a ti-99/4a which is probably a more interesting machine

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

blugu64 posted:

you need to find the speech synthesizer

oh I have it

I also have sent it galtse at 300 baud and made it read it aloud :getin:

e: it's in that picture ffs

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 18, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

actually while I'm here

if I want to stream these old things to twitch I imagine any random USB capture card that handles composite NTSC will probably keep up no sweat?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ok I guess I'll order a StarTech capture stick and do an effortpost finally

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

Nice computer but what is up with that fail non-crt monitor?

finding small CRTs nowadays is surprisingly hard. I have an old CCTV monitor that works but the raster lines are vertical and not horizontal so it looks all weird; and it's b&w which isn't great for a color computer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yep. if I'm getting one I'll stumble across it at the local thrift, otherwise I'll keep using the composite->vga box with an old 4:3 lcd

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

back when i was a tot in grade school we had C64s and LASER Apple ][ clones

also if either of you happen to be near the chicago area i will go take one of your CRTs off of your hands

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

Can you use those color studio monitors that are cheap on ebay?

for some computers it just needs to accept composite

for others (timex sinclair 1000/zx81) it needs to accept NTSC RF (at least without modification)

in any case they're heavy and expensive to ship.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

lol if you aren't still finding 75-300 ohm converters in the bottom of every box in the house

right, but studio monitors often don't have RF inputs

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Ro2uLFpfU

hmmmm

e: yeah that's bit flippin. according to the manual for the terminal emulator it lets you define a parity bit but it just ignores it

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 23, 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

continuing to spam this thread with an english computer instead of a welsh or american one

so i got my Timex Sinclair 1000 ( zx81 ) in.

it boots up!

but unfortunately the keyboard cable is toast. No input whatsoever, opened it up, and that brittle thing is broken.

This looks repairable, that thing's still really brittle but it's large enough pitch that I should be able to do something with it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

update on the TS1000 (aka zx81): keyboard was dead because Sir Clive Sinclair's Cheap As gently caress Ribbon Connectors Bent At A Horrible Angle got brittle and broke, that's hopefully fixed

I haven't been able to get any modern television to recognize its RF output; I'll be doing a composite mod on it in a bit

i brought the ti-99/4a home because i've been voluntold that i'm giving a presentation on computer programming to a bunch of pre-schoolers so logo it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

also i found that someone from DESiRE stumbled across a TI-99/4A in a thrift store and wrote what appears to be the first ever demo for this thing

and published it in january of this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSUhE03XFw

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=68783#c782200 posted:

Thought I'd write a little bit up on the genesis of this prod in case you guys are interested. We believe this is the first true demo/megademo on the TI99/4A, ever. Of course you have to be a little strict with the definition of a 'demo' to get that, but hey, it works for us. ;)

In 2014 I was visiting a foreign (to me) city, and found a dusty boxed TI99 in a pawn shop, buried under some hi-fi gear. I didn't buy it at the time, but I looked up if there had ever been a demoscene *anything* on it, and back then found nothing. That got me thinking. About six months later I moved to the same city, visited the same pawn shop, and haggled my way into very cheap TI ownership. At that point I asked Orbitaldecay if he was interested in something on it, and he absolutely was.

The original plan was a musicdisk (naturally my idea) or a simple scroller+effect+tune intro. The soundchip turned out to have a rather steep learning curve for me, and Orby & I were busy with some other prods. But the idea didn't go away. Sometime before @Party 2016, Orby got the ball rolling by getting RamonB5 interested and it was game on.

In the meantime 99tro by Frog got released, as well as some scene-ish but not quite "in the scene" stuff like Happy New Year 2015 by Asmusr (^^ see credits) so it was clear a simple intro would no longer cut it.

Fortunately, Orby and Ramon managed to recruit some of the best active devs on this platform, and once everyone was on board, after almost a year of hard work, here we are. Hopefully the results paid off. I personally am unbelievably proud of this thing, sure it's got a couple rough edges but for a platform first I think we set the bar at a pretty good height. Now the question is, who's gonna be the next challenger? :D

Some fun facts about the platform & this prod:
- We have the same sound & gfx chip as the MSX to work with, and a 16-bit CPU. That's awesome right? Well, the CPU is slow (3MHz) and *majorly* gimped by its 8-bit bus. It was never intended to go in this machine and it shows.
- An unexpanded TI has 256 bytes of general purpose "fast" RAM on that 8-bit bus. It also has 16k of video RAM but you can't use that for storing miscellaneous code or data. The usual add-on floppy controller gives you another 32k of *horrendously slow* RAM, and we ended up having to require that. It's there, it helps, but we still tried to avoid it as much as possible.
- The TI's built-in BASIC is slow and useless, and there's *no* ability to run inline assembly or compiled programs from disk. The assembler is supplied on a cartridge and requires the 32k RAM expansion. You can also get extended BASIC on a cartridge that is much better.
- You can run our demo direct from its own cartridge, or from disk using the "editor/assembler" cart, *or* from disk using an extended BASIC cart. That required three different loaders, but the choice is yours.
- Of the three main emulators that are around for this thing, two of them - Classic99 and JS99er - were made by members of the demo dev team, Tursi and Asmusr respectively. They have both since been updated to run all the scanline effects & general hackery that we needed to make this thing work, so go ahead and emulate. B)

• Locked thread