Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yahoo! opened up today so fantasy baseball is officially back.

Put your keeper questions, sleeper questions, jeepers and creepers questions. They all go here. If you ask a question, you better put your league settings or else it'll probably get ignored.

News/Advice Stolen word for word from Last Year's OP weas, "Draft Mookie" genius
Razzball - I typically draft using Grey's rankings, and I actually pay money for access to their Stream-O-Nator and HitterTron tools. Grey's daily summary posts are the first thing I read each morning during the season. In my opinion, this is the best fantasy baseball site out there.
FantasyAlarm - Ray Flowers gives very good advice and his rankings are typically solid. Can also follow him on Twitter @BaseballGuys, where he is very active during the season.
FanGraphs - The site you should all be using for your baseball stats. Lots of good articles as well, and the host of Ottoneu (see below.)
Rotoworld - General injury/transaction news geared towards fantasy players.
FantasyPros - Fantasy rankings aggregator (Spoeank Note: They are branching out into writing too, some good stuff there).
Ottoneu - I started playing Ottoneu last year and I love it. It's 12 team, 40 player MLB/MiLB dynasty with a $400 salary cap. If you are interested in doing a $50 FanGraphs Points startup league, let me know and I might start a goon league with enough interested parties.
Pitcher List - Amazing pitcher info, amazing pitcher .gifs.

Good Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter
CBS Fantasy Baseball Today
ESPN Fantasy Focus (not that dumbfuck Matt Berry anymore)
Flags Fly Forever (Baseball Prospectus)
Sleeper and the Bust (Fangraphs)
MLB.com Fantasy 411 is technically good but I boycott it because they're no Cory Schwartz or Mike Schiano

GOOD AND COOL AND FUN STATISTICS YOU SHOULD USE
BABIP - Measures good or bad luck. League average is somewhere near .300, but different batting profiles can sustain higher or lower BABIP. Look to a player's career average. Look for high pitcher BABIP and low batter BABIP for sleepers, basically.
K-BB% (pitchers)- combines K% and BB%, which are better than K/9 and BB/9 for various reasons, and makes them into one number.
LOB% (pitchers) - A high LOB% with a low K% probably means the pitcher got really lucky and may be due for ERA regression.
Hard% in conjunction with ISO (hitters) - they have a strong enough correlation, and if someone has a good Hard% but a bad ISO, that could be bad luck (WELINGTON CASTILLO I'M LOOKIN AT YOU)
WRC+ (hitters) - easy to sort by to start from to figure out who is really good. It's a decent enough short hand.

I write an article every year about pitchers looking at BABIP, K-BB% and unusually high ERAs. Last year I predicted Rick Porcello, American Fuckin' League Cy Fuckin' Young Winner, would have a good year.
But then again I said the same thing about Ian Kennedy so what the gently caress do I know.

Here's the article for this year: http://theinscribermag.com/fantasy-baseball-sleeper-pitchers-and-advanced-statistics/
Nola is my fave baby this year out of that list.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kennedy did have a good year

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

IcePhoenix posted:

Kennedy did have a good year

Huh you're right. His June and July were such a mess it clouded my judgement on him (I haven't finished reviewing last year's numbers yet).

So I guess... that's another reason to look at those stats in conjunction!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chris Davis is the #15 1B off the board per FantasyPros. That's kind of silly for two reasons.

One: his AVG fluctuation is 100% BABIP driven in Baltimore.

AVG

BABIP

Two: even if he has bad AVG, his worst season in Baltimore pro-rated to 162 games is 33 dingers, 83 R, 92 RBI. His average since coming to Baltimore is 39, 88, 92. So even if his average craters, he's between great and elite in the other three categories.

He's a prime CI option at 82 overall.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Good stuff.

I don't think I can get on the Juan Nicasio train of pain again though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone is really high on Trea Turner.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I followed Grey's pitching rankings and imploded. I don't blame him though, last year's pitching was unbelievably random.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Here's an early mock draft to chew on. From Rotoballer (not familiar with this site tbh. Also, keep in mind it's a snake draft. i.e. Blackmon went 2.1, not 2.12):

And here's ADP from the National Fantasy Baseball Championship: http://hosted.stats.com/mlb/adp.asp?pos=all

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Hot take: I'd draft Kershaw at 1.1 in standard leagues. Borderline game-breaking talent and I would be loving thrilled if he dropped to me in the late first round.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cano late 3rd round oh wow.

This is a very interesting draft year, so many high upside late ranks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hot take: I'd draft Kershaw at 1.1 in standard leagues. Borderline game-breaking talent and I would be loving thrilled if he dropped to me in the late first round.

Nooooooooooo

I got Hendricks super late in my draft and he ended up being the best pitcher last year. Three years ago I went super pitcher heavy, which was nice, but having dead bats is the most frustrating experience, even moreso than dead pitching.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

Cano late 3rd round oh wow.

After Trevor Story lol

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Death to all pitchers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is Yahoo not doing pro leagues for baseball this year or did they not put them up yet?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
They're just not up yet.

I'm in Missouri though and I have no idea if I'll be able to do pro leagues, because of some new regulations on fantasy sports :shrug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
poo poo, I've been counting down to ST without even realizing it means fantasy baseball time is here again! I learned a lot over the course of last year and ended up coming in 2nd, which of course means I will step on my own dick and totally gently caress myself in the draft and cellar-dwell all season now.

Then again, I have some cheap-rear end/good pitching I'll be keeping, plus I picked up El Gary as soon as he got called up :getin:

EDIT: Also PitcherList is a pretty great resource, especially when looking at streaming options in their daily updates.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Death to all pitchers

Yup. I actually targeted them last season and hovered around .500. It was sad as gently caress, I hate them all.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

How to play fantasy baseball:

1) bats
2) bats
3) dingers
4) bats bats bats
5) baaaaattttsssss

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Teemu Pokemon posted:

1) bats
2) bats
3) dingers
4) bats bats bats
5) baaaaattttsssss

Totally wrong

1) dingers
2) dingers
3) dingerssssss
4) people who hit home runs
5) draft mookie betts

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I came in 2nd last year in a pro h2h 12 5x5 5-teamer, with kenta maeda and random streaming pitchers :grin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

1) bats
2) bats
3) dingers
4) bats bats bats
5) baaaaattttsssss

You mean... MASHERS?!

http://theinscribermag.com/fantasy-baseball-draft-strategy-m-a-s-h-e-r-s/

(forgive the formatting, they transferred the backend and hosed everything all up on old posts)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doghouse posted:

I came in 2nd last year in a pro h2h 12 5x5 5-teamer, with kenta maeda and random streaming pitchers :grin:

I got Maeda for $1 in one of the last rounds of the draft and I still feel pretty fuckin :smug: about it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I would take Kershaw 1.1 in a points league, because often times a stud pitcher is unfair in that format, but otherwise take all the bats take bats, bats bats bats, all bats all the time bats

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My league is the opposite in that EVERYONE drafts pitching and then just streams off of their bench. There is almost never a decent pitcher available to pick up. But on the other hand, you can usually find a serviceable hitter no problem since most people only have like 1 or 2 bench bats at the most.

And now that I'm thinking about my roster, I'm once again bummed about losing my best keeper Jose Fernandez :(.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I usually like to draft one league at the start of spring before the rankings are adjusted, I just finished that draft. I had the 12th pick.

Here's what I ended up with:

Yahoo 12 team H2H standard 5x5

C: Kyle Schwarber
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Jonathan Villar
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Trevor Story
OF: Trea Turner
OF: Andrew McCutchen
OF: Stephen Piscotty
UTIL: Javier Baez
UTIL: Aledmys Diaz
BN: Hunter Renfroe
BN: Yoan Moncada

SP: Carlos Martinez, Aaron Sanchez, Alex Reyes, JA Happ, Marco Estrada, Blake Snell, Lance Lynn
RP: Seung Hwan Oh, Tony Watson, Brandon Maurer, Neftali Feliz

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's... a lot of Blue Jays pitchers

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Spoeank posted:

That's... a lot of Blue Jays pitchers

Yeah, that was unintentional. I didn't do much mocking before this to prepare.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Schwarber has catcher eligibility??????? I'm not in any Yahoo leagues this year but that's HUGE

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Schwarber has catcher eligibility??????? I'm not in any Yahoo leagues this year but that's HUGE

Yes, I was shocked too.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

gently caress I traded him because I thought he'd lose it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I still think going after Schwarber for your catcher position is hurting your value. Schwarbers going in the 4th/5th in most drafts this year probably and Grey from razzball has him projected as a 81/26/90 guy with a bad average. I'd much rather wait a bit until the 9th or 10th round to go after Lucroy or Posey and just lose out on a handful of dingers.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Doltos posted:

I still think going after Schwarber for your catcher position is hurting your value. Schwarbers going in the 4th/5th in most drafts this year probably and Grey from razzball has him projected as a 81/26/90 guy with a bad average. I'd much rather wait a bit until the 9th or 10th round to go after Lucroy or Posey and just lose out on a handful of dingers.

I got him in the 6th.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I don't know if that beefy lummox is going to play enough games to justify going that early.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Personally I'm waiting on Realmuto, you can get him like 11th round or later. Last year he had double digit sbs and hrs with ~ .300 average. Yeah I'll take that at the catcher position and at that price.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I had Schwarber as like a 16th round keeper but I was offered a great haul for him in May and took it but then I didn't win the championship and now I'm angry

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Is Xander really not getting that much hype this year? I see him going in the third in yahoo and I thought I'd have to spend an early 2nd on him.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Doltos posted:

Is Xander really not getting that much hype this year? I see him going in the third in yahoo and I thought I'd have to spend an early 2nd on him.

Well, he's got 5 other shortstops ahead of him: Machado, Seager, Turner, Correa, Lindor.

That being said, some idiot in the league I drafted already took him in the first round.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Well, he's got 5 other shortstops ahead of him: Machado, Seager, Turner, Correa, Lindor.

That being said, some idiot in the league I drafted already took him in the first round.

I think he's going to be better than Seager the Younger this year because Corey's BABIP was way too high for me to trust him again. I just wish Xander could hit more HRs but I guess that's why I'm targeting Story this year.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I have no willpower and drafted another league just now.

I waited too long on pitching, I am aware of this.

yahoo 12 team H2H 5x5

C: Stephen Vogt
1B: Matt Carpenter
2B: Rougned Odor
3B: Manny Machado
SS: Carlos Correa
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Andrew McCutchen
OF: Mark Trumbo
UTIL: Aledmys Diaz
UTIL: Eduardo Nunez
BN: Randal Grichuk

SP: Greinke, Harvey, Keuchel, Reyes, Paxton, Estrada, Eickhoff, Glasnow
RP: Oh, Watson, Maurer, Bedrosian

I think I like my other team better, not crazy about this pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Anybody looking to do a goon league this year/any with openings? Prefer H2H cats over roto or points but I'll play whatever

• Locked thread