Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
jesus christ who are in your leagues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ChiTownEddie posted:

jesus christ who are in your leagues?

I feel like he's joined 4 yahoo public leagues with no money riding on it and no one else cares when they see trade offers

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I could use some keeper advice. My league is a 12 team H2H points league, and we do an auction draft with a $260 budget. I have to keep at least 5 players but no more than 9, here's what I'm looking at:

Todd Frazier - $20
Jonathan Villar - $10
Gregory Polanco - $5
Ben Zobrist - $9
Adam Eaton - $2
Nomar Mazara - $10
Shin Soo Choo - $10
Joey Gallo - $10
Joe Panik - $6
Bartolo Colon - $1
Lance McCullers - $2
Jon Lester - $23
Michael Pineda - $12
Zack Wheeler - $5

Right now I'm set on keeping Lester, Villar, Polanco, Zobrist, McCullers, and Eaton.

I'm not sure if the other guys are worth their prices though. I like Frazier, but I don't know if $20 is worth paying for him. For some reason I'm not very high on Mazara this year, but would he be worth $10? And I'm pretty sure if I want Gallo I can draft him for a cheaper price. I don't even know what to think of Wheeler, $5 is a reasonable price for his upside but I'm not confident that he'll stay healthy. I wasn't planning on keeping Panik but I don't think $6 is a terrible price for him. I might keep Pineda for $12 as well because I think he might have a decent year, and after the draft it's hard to find decent pitching on the wire.

And all I need is someone to tell me that Bartolo can keep it up for one more year for me to pull the trigger on keeping him for a dollar.

Also, my league has one roster slot for a minors player, are there any specific major league ready prospects I should be looking at to fill that spot? Any advice given will be appreciated.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I wouldn't keep anyone else

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I dunno that I'd keep Zobrist either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
God help me I just joined a 12-teamer H2H league with my brother and his friends with a $225 buy in.

Jingleheimer posted:

I could use some keeper advice. My league is a 12 team H2H points league, and we do an auction draft with a $260 budget. I have to keep at least 5 players but no more than 9, here's what I'm looking at:

Todd Frazier - $20
Jonathan Villar - $10
Gregory Polanco - $5
Ben Zobrist - $9
Adam Eaton - $2
Nomar Mazara - $10
Shin Soo Choo - $10
Joey Gallo - $10
Joe Panik - $6
Bartolo Colon - $1
Lance McCullers - $2
Jon Lester - $23
Michael Pineda - $12
Zack Wheeler - $5

Right now I'm set on keeping Lester, Villar, Polanco, Zobrist, McCullers, and Eaton.

I'm not sure if the other guys are worth their prices though. I like Frazier, but I don't know if $20 is worth paying for him. For some reason I'm not very high on Mazara this year, but would he be worth $10? And I'm pretty sure if I want Gallo I can draft him for a cheaper price. I don't even know what to think of Wheeler, $5 is a reasonable price for his upside but I'm not confident that he'll stay healthy. I wasn't planning on keeping Panik but I don't think $6 is a terrible price for him. I might keep Pineda for $12 as well because I think he might have a decent year, and after the draft it's hard to find decent pitching on the wire.

And all I need is someone to tell me that Bartolo can keep it up for one more year for me to pull the trigger on keeping him for a dollar.

Also, my league has one roster slot for a minors player, are there any specific major league ready prospects I should be looking at to fill that spot? Any advice given will be appreciated.

Panik and Pineda might be worth holding on to, but what pitching stats does the league track?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

God help me I just joined a 12-teamer H2H league with my brother and his friends with a $225 buy in.

Panik and Pineda might be worth holding on to, but what pitching stats does the league track?

I was leaning towards keeping Zobrist over Panik since Zobrist has OF eligibility as well and is more likely to stay healthy. I'm 50/50 on keeping Pineda, I think he's just as likely to put it all together this year as he is to be a total disaster. Pitchers in my league get points for QS, K, IP, and a penalty for H, BB, ER. In my league Pineda will probably be a slightly above average pitcher if he stays healthy, I'll probably end up keeping him and regretting it later, but I've made worse decisions in the past.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anyone is looking for a league HGH and Centaur Paintings has 2 teams available.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Panik is listed at $0 on Yahoo. You can just draft him if you want him, you don't have to spend $5 and waste a keeper spot. He might go undrafted. Same with Pineda, he's listed at $1.

quote:

and after the draft it's hard to find decent pitching on the wire.

this is 100% not true. Starting pitching is the easiest position to fill.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 6, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Last year was loving bullshit picking starters off the waiver wire. I looked at Danny Duffy and Pomeranz and was like naaah and low and behold

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jingleheimer posted:

I was leaning towards keeping Zobrist over Panik since Zobrist has OF eligibility as well and is more likely to stay healthy. I'm 50/50 on keeping Pineda, I think he's just as likely to put it all together this year as he is to be a total disaster. Pitchers in my league get points for QS, K, IP, and a penalty for H, BB, ER. In my league Pineda will probably be a slightly above average pitcher if he stays healthy, I'll probably end up keeping him and regretting it later, but I've made worse decisions in the past.

I wouldn't hold on to Pineda given those pitching stats.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Panik is listed at $0 on Yahoo. You can just draft him if you want him, you don't have to spend $5 and waste a keeper spot. He might go undrafted. Same with Pineda, he's listed at $1.

I think it's dumb to go off of what auction values are listed at, they're always lower than what they go for in the draft. Panik might go undrafted but I'm keeping Pineda at $12, which is probably more than he's worth but I doubt he'd go for less than $8 or $9 in the draft.

quote:

this is 100% not true. Starting pitching is the easiest position to fill.
Well no, not in my league. Some people might have one or two bench bats, but for the most part everyone will fill all their bench spots with pitchers. The best pitchers available post draft will probably be players like Matt Cain or Mike Pelfrey, and I'll make a trade before I rely on them if my pitchers get hurt.

Inspector_666 posted:

I wouldn't hold on to Pineda given those pitching stats.

Well I did, and after sleeping on it I think you're right. But last night was our keeper deadline so I can't change it now. Hopefully Pineda will have a good year or at least have a good enough April for me to trade him for something of value. I'm sure this decision wont haunt me forever.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

My league is migrating from checks and cash and seeing each other in-person each year for the draft. We can do everything with Paypal and spreadsheets etc. but does anyone have experience using a service like LeagueSafe?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We do Paypal to me, the co-commish, and it works fine. There are usually at least 4 teams that don't come to the auction and everyone knows in advance. We have dudes in Las Vegas, Seattle and Portland. I don't see the need to pay a percentage to anyone to hold our monies...

Your league might have a guy like ours: Bad Trade Spammer. We have an Auction Keeper League, and I have Trea Turner who I can keep for $5 in our $270 budget. He offered me Odor and Dyson today, and I didn't hesitate to hit decline without even looking at their prices. It's earlier than usual, he normally spams his bench for your studs once the season starts but we don't even have our auction scheduled until April 1...

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Need some keeper advice here. Narrowed it down to the following players to keep (Max of 2 keepers per team). 10 team Yahoo league, snake draft, Rotisserie scoring (R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/AVG/OPS for hitting and W/CG/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS plus K/BB for Pitching).

4th Round - 2B Rougned Odor
7th Round - 3B Anthony Rendon
9th Round - OF Christian Yelich
10th Round - 1B/OF Wil Myers
10th Round - 3B/SS Eduardo Nunez
10th Round - P Steven Wright (CG Category)
14th Round - OF Stephen Piscotty
19th Round - 3B Nick Castellanos

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

spanky69 posted:

Need some keeper advice here. Narrowed it down to the following players to keep (Max of 2 keepers per team). 10 team Yahoo league, snake draft, Rotisserie scoring (R/H/HR/RBI/SB/BB/AVG/OPS for hitting and W/CG/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/QS plus K/BB for Pitching).

Myers and Yelich look like the best values here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Myers and Yelich look like the best values here.

This, with Rougned maybe on the bubble.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you all think of Yoan Moncada this year. 25 sbs possible ?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

euphronius posted:

What do you all think of Yoan Moncada this year. 25 sbs possible ?

I think he is gonna spend a lot of time in AAA this year, they have no reason to rush him.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

spanky69 posted:

I might take odor over yelich. Yelich's power last year is not real. Odor is awesome and 23.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

spanky69 posted:

Who could you keep for rounds 1-3? because those are not good keepers.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
It is 4 rounds higher then last year but the players have to be on your roster by the All Star Break of the previous season meaning Scherzer, DeGrom, Boegarts and Schwarber were immediately out from the start. Plus I unloaded Puig and Franko and Pollock was supposed to be gone for the year. I literally lost 2 of my top players for the season in the first week in 2016 (Pollock was a round 7 keeper last year). With a short DL and having to keep him in round 3 in 2017 coming off an injury that would have been tough so I had to let him go.

Odor was the first player I was able to keep in round 4 and that is basically what is left.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

If anyone is interested in a 12 team $20 roto 5x5 yahoo league with a slow draft, I made one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812813&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
In a must keep 3 players situation, I have Altuve, Lindor, Springer, and Miguel Cabrera. This is the time when I begrudgingly send Cabrera out to pasture, right?

This is a goon league so no sabotage replies please. :)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

coronaball posted:

In a must keep 3 players situation, I have Altuve, Lindor, Springer, and Miguel Cabrera. This is the time when I begrudgingly send Cabrera out to pasture, right?

This is a goon league so no sabotage replies please. :)

That's really loving tough. I'd say kick Lindor but since it's a keeper league...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm finally getting to do more number crunching and analyzing for my draft on Sunday. Including Turner, 8 SS are being kept. By four teams. Ugh that will be brutal.

Does anyone create player tiers themselves? I have positional zscores and am trying to decide if I should make manual tiers or do some mathematical approach, curious what others have done.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Doltos posted:

That's really loving tough. I'd say kick Lindor but since it's a keeper league...

I'm struggling with it because

A. SS is deeper than years past
B. 1B is shallower than years past
C. After '15 I thought Cabrera could be entering his decline phase due to age/injury and '16 would likely be the last year he was keep-worthy. That obviously isn't the case.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'd make a trade to consolidate value. barring that, drop springer

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I'd drop Lindor, I think he's a bit overrated. Cabrera is awesome. And definitely don't drop Springer imo, there's huge upside there. Like he could go 40/20 this year and it wouldn't be that surprising.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Pointless hypothetical question. If Jean Segura repeats his 2016 year in 2017, where does he get ranked in 2018?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
1. (6) Bryce Harper (Was - OF) $40
2. (7) Kenley Jansen (LAD - RP) $19
3. (17) Carlos Correa (Hou - SS) $34
4. (20) George Springer (Hou - OF) $29
5. (34) Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B) $28
6. (48) Rougned Odor (Tex - 2B) $26
7. (62) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP) $22
8. (76) Mark Trumbo (Bal - OF) $15
9. (84) Masahiro Tanaka (NYY - SP) $17
10. (90) Mark Melancon (SF - RP) $14
11. (160) Marcus Semien (Oak - SS) $1
12. (175) Ryon Healy (Oak - 3B) $4
13. (202) Chris Carter (NYY - 1B) $1
14. (216) Tom Murphy (Col - C) $1
15. (255) Adam Conley (Mia - SP) $1
16. (266) Mike Montgomery (ChC - SP,RP) $1
17. (277) Zack Wheeler (NYM - SP) $1
18. (288) Mike Foltynewicz (Atl - SP) $1
19. (297) Blake Treinen (Was - RP) $1
20. (304) Matt Bush (Tex - RP) $1
21. (309) Will Harris (Hou - RP) $1
22. (313) Michael Wacha (StL - SP) $1
23. (316) Francisco Liriano (Tor - SP) $1

This draft was largely a failure in my eyes. I wasn't planning on drafting a stars and scrubs team, yet here we are. I also tried to adopt IcePhoenix's strategy of focusing solely on relievers, but then didn't have enough money to actually follow through with that plan. The only plus side is that I have no attachments to half of my roster, so I probably won't keep a player if they perform poorly, whereas I typically don't start dropping guys until at least May.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Fantasy Baseball '17: Thank you for not bidding $14 on Drew Hutchison

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hey quick tip if you have to auto draft a team:

Change the upper bid for top tier players or you end up with no top tier players and $60 left over.

See also my goon draft from today. :suicide:

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

1. (6) Bryce Harper (Was - OF) $40

3. (17) Carlos Correa (Hou - SS) $34
4. (20) George Springer (Hou - OF) $29
5. (34) Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B) $28
6. (48) Rougned Odor (Tex - 2B) $26

8. (76) Mark Trumbo (Bal - OF) $15

This is a pretty good core imo. Lots of risk but tons of upside.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

Pointless hypothetical question. If Jean Segura repeats his 2016 year in 2017, where does he get ranked in 2018?

Early second round?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Twin Cinema posted:

This draft was largely a failure in my eyes.

I actually like your team. But what are the settings?

Spoeank posted:

Hey quick tip if you have to auto draft a team:

Change the upper bid for top tier players or you end up with no top tier players and $60 left over.

See also my goon draft from today. :suicide:

Lookit Mr. Has a Life here. That's what you get.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 12, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

I actually like your team. But what are the settings?

14 team h2h
R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPB/SLG
W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP/KBB/OBPA

Twin Cinema posted:

This draft was largely a failure in my eyes. I wasn't planning on drafting a stars and scrubs team, yet here we are. I also tried to adopt IcePhoenix's strategy of focusing solely on relievers, but then didn't have enough money to actually follow through with that plan. The only plus side is that I have no attachments to half of my roster, so I probably won't keep a player if they perform poorly, whereas I typically don't start dropping guys until at least May.

I actually went a bit overboard on the relievers because I was saving money for them and suddenly there were no hitters because nobody was nominating the relievers (whereas last year a bunch went in the middle of the draft). So uh, if you're in this league I'll trade one or two for a hitting upgrade :v:

Here's my draft for posterity. Standard offensive starters, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4P for pitching starters.

1. (15) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B) $40
2. (16) Corey Seager (LAD - SS) $35
3. (35) Robinson Canó (Sea - 2B) $29
4. (38) Nelson Cruz (Sea - OF) $27
5. (46) Jake Arrieta (ChC - SP) $26
6. (49) Andrew Miller (Cle - RP) $15
7. (56) Justin Verlander (Det - SP) $25
8. (96) Wade Davis (ChC - RP) $12
9. (146) José Ramírez (Cle - 3B,OF) $6
10. (182) Álex Colomé (TB - RP) $6
11. (185) Russell Martin (Tor - C) $1
12. (194) Raisel Iglesias (Cin - SP,RP) $3
13. (197) Nomar Mazara (Tex - OF) $3
14. (199) Addison Reed (NYM - RP) $1
15. (213) Shawn Kelley (Was - RP) $3
16. (227) Max Kepler (Min - OF) $3
17. (234) Cam Bedrosian (LAA - RP) $5
18. (240) Brandon Drury (Ari - 2B,3B,OF) $1
19. (242) Héctor Neris (Phi - RP) $4
20. (252) Carlos Gómez (Tex - OF) $1
21. (275) José De León (TB - SP) $1
22. (286) Luke Gregerson (Hou - RP) $1
23. (296) Francisco Cervelli (Pit - C) $12

Cervelli was just me dumping all my remaining budget in because I just wanted to leave and go back to Horizon.

One of these days I need to see what happens if I just skip the first couple tiers of players and fill my team with a ton of 15-20-ish dollar guys.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Doghouse posted:

This is a pretty good core imo. Lots of risk but tons of upside.

This is basically my fantasy drafting M.O. I am picking up a few guys with the potential to be first-round picks next year. If Correa and Harper have the year people were expecting last year, then I am golden.

I even drafted Harper for crazy money last year, so I am not sure why I am going to that well again. My love for Harper knows no bounds, apparently.

IcePhoenix posted:

I actually went a bit overboard on the relievers because I was saving money for them and suddenly there were no hitters because nobody was nominating the relievers (whereas last year a bunch went in the middle of the draft). So uh, if you're in this league I'll trade one or two for a hitting upgrade :v:

I am in the league. After I drafted Melancon, I realized I only had, like, 15 dollars to spend on 11 players. I didn't really think your strategy through, mostly because I was too caught him picking guys at the top of the draft that I really really wanted.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Twin Cinema posted:

This draft was largely a failure in my eyes.

If I could land your team in the $20 league we're doing I'd be really happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Here's my team, same league as IcePhoenix and Twin Cinema:

1. (5) Nolan Arenado (Col - 3B) $53
2. (12) Anthony Rizzo (ChC - 1B) $42
3. (21) Zach Britton (Bal - RP) $17
4. (42) Jonathan Villar (Mil - 2B,3B,SS) $24
5. (58) Yoenis Céspedes (NYM - OF) $19
6. (75) Dansby Swanson (Atl - SS) $3
7. (87) Jonathan Lucroy (Tex - C,1B) $16
8. (89) Yoan Moncada (CWS - 3B) $1
9. (98) Julio Teherán (Atl - SP) $15
10. (105) Cole Hamels (Tex - SP) $16
11. (112) Danny Salazar (Cle - SP) $12
12. (117) Julio Urías (LAD - SP) $5
13. (132) Miguel Sano (Min - 3B,OF) $7
14. (163) Yasmany Tomás (Ari - OF) $4
15. (174) Jake Odorizzi (TB - SP) $3
16. (181) Elvis Andrus (Tex - SS) $3
17. (187) Yadier Molina (StL - C) $1
18. (201) Francisco Rodríguez (Det - RP) $4
19. (210) Ryan Madson (Oak - RP) $3
20. (231) Garrett Richards (LAA - SP) $3
21. (254) José Reyes (NYM - 3B,SS) $1
22. (261) Melky Cabrera (CWS - OF) $2
23. (264) Dylan Bundy (Bal - SP,RP) $3

I overpaid for a few guys, especially Rizzo, and didn't pull the trigger on a few others when I could have had them.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 13, 2017

• Locked thread