Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Kershaw at 7 in a points league is a great result for your. I'd take him at 7 over Bryant, EE, Altuve or whoever was at the top of the board at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Michael Corleone posted:

Gonna ask one more time if anyone knows if the Nuclear Plant Softball League is a go again for this year.

Otherwise, anyone have openings in a free league?

Scrape together 10 bucks and take over the unmanaged team in HGH and Centaur Paintings!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DoctaFun posted:

Kershaw at 7 in a points league is a great result for your. I'd take him at 7 over Bryant, EE, Altuve or whoever was at the top of the board at that point.

For an ostensibly super competitive league this first round was stupid...we basically shamed a Cubs bandwagoner into taking Bryant #1 so he could prove he's a True Believer, Goldy went #4 (ahead of Betts?) and then a hypernerd guy took Scherzer at 6 instead of Kershaw. He's super smart and way into baseball and I do not know what his plan was there but it is mildly concerning to me.

I'm thinking of dangling Santana for an OF....it'll be a hit in points probably but I need some help. Any thoughts on who I should go after? Was thinking maybe Schwarber or Stanton?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Outside of Kershaw, I think the first player who came to mind as a buy in a points league is Carlos Santana. The terrible average he routinely puts up drops him to the mid-rounds in normal leagues, but the power numbers and massive amount of walks really boosts him up in points leagues. Take a look at projected season points, and I'm willing to bet he compares to players ranked a few rounds higher. I think he'll put up more points than any of your hitters except Votto and maybe Beltre.
If you got him where he's ranked in a normal league, you got a good deal and I'd hang on to him if I were you.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Moneyball posted:

Outside of Kershaw, I think the first player who came to mind as a buy in a points league is Carlos Santana. The terrible average he routinely puts up drops him to the mid-rounds in normal leagues, but the power numbers and massive amount of walks really boosts him up in points leagues. Take a look at projected season points, and I'm willing to bet he compares to players ranked a few rounds higher. I think he'll put up more points than any of your hitters except Votto and maybe Beltre.
If you got him where he's ranked in a normal league, you got a good deal and I'd hang on to him if I were you.

As long as your league counts walks. It's a great point though, my league counts BBs as +1 and Ks as -1, which makes player valuation different than a lot of leagues. For instance, Chris Davis and his 40 HRs is great, except for the -130 points your getting on his K/BB difference. Someone like Santana/Votto can put up more modest power numbers and still come out on top as he only had a -7 in that category.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Have any of you dealt with adding new teams to a keeper league? How did you handle it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Have any of you dealt with adding new teams to a keeper league? How did you handle it?

Depends on the keeper rules. Easiest thing I can think of is to do an expansion draft that allows them to pick keepers from players not being kept by other teams (ie: if I have Schwarber in the 13th but am not keeping him, they could "draft" him and keep him in the 13th).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends on the keeper rules. Easiest thing I can think of is to do an expansion draft that allows them to pick keepers from players not being kept by other teams (ie: if I have Schwarber in the 13th but am not keeping him, they could "draft" him and keep him in the 13th).

It's a 25% price inflation year-over-year, with a max of 4 years kept unless you designate a "Franchise Tag" for one.

The idea was to either lower the new team's buy-in and give them a higher draft budget (with the understanding that they'll be embarking on a project here), or just cut the number of keepers down for the incumbent teams to increase the draft pool.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

weas posted:

Good tips. An additional strategy I use in this scenario is to allocate dollars to pools of positions. So maybe I need 3 outfielders and I allocate $50 to outfielders, and I need 2 starting pitchers and I allocate $25. This gives me flexibility at the draft to spot values, but also keeps me from over-focusing on specific players, which will lead to overpays.

This is exactly what I do, allocate money towards positions. I usually also have a rough idea of what I think guys are worth so I can judge values.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's a 25% price inflation year-over-year, with a max of 4 years kept unless you designate a "Franchise Tag" for one.

The idea was to either lower the new team's buy-in and give them a higher draft budget (with the understanding that they'll be embarking on a project here), or just cut the number of keepers down for the incumbent teams to increase the draft pool.

We cap the numbers for an expansion draft, let everyone keep 3 then let the new owners pick as many as they want but no team can lose more than 2. Then existing teams can select the rest of their keepers.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

I'm in a weird keeper league where you can keep 29 because the commish is a tool. Cost of keeping is 2 rounds higher, unless you can't, then it just uses the highest you can. So someone taken 1.1 and 1.2 on the same roster I can keep the 1.1 guy with my first, and push the 1.2 to my 2nd round keeper. I have been abusing the hell out of this. Do you guys agree with my cuts at the bottom? The league is standard but has walks and strikeouts for batters and losses for pitchers. I think that's dumb too but it makes C. Santana a god. Anyways, just want to double check on my 4 cuts I have to do at the bottom.

C Schwarbs (Need a 2nd guy?)
1b Votto
2b Cano
3b Donaldson
SS (Need a guy)
IF C. Santana
IF Bregman
OF Mookie
OF J Upton
OF Kemp
UT J Abreu
UT J Bats

BN Buxton
BN Marza

NA Gallo
NA Brinson

SP Arrieta
SP Lester
SP Tanaka
RP Kimbrel
RP Ramos
P C Mart (Need Closers)
P Felix
P Harvey

BN Salazar
BN Nola
BN Matz
BN C Rondon
BN T Walker

DL Gray
DL WAIVERS

Cut S. Travis
Cut J Bruce
Cut J Zimmerman
Cut A. Reyes

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I don't know about the cuts, but I'm expecting a breakout year from WAIVERS

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

Moneyball posted:

I don't know about the cuts, but I'm expecting a breakout year from WAIVERS

Yeah I kinda just copied and pasted from my poo poo to do list. WAIVERS should be great when they get healthy.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

RKRGoat posted:

Cut S. Travis
Cut J Bruce
Cut J Zimmerman
Cut A. Reyes

Who is S. Travis?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

weas posted:

Who is S. Travis?

I'm guessing it's Red Sox prospect Sam Travis.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rotoworld posted:

Jason Kipnis will be sidelined for another 4-5 weeks after a second opinion confirmed that he has inflammation in his right shoulder.

The diagnosis doesn't appear to be any worse here, as we already knew Kipnis was nursing soreness in his rotator cuff. The 4-5 week timeline does give us a bit more clarity, though, and in all likelihood it appears Kipnis will at least miss all of April. The Indians are considering moving Jose Ramirez to second base and using Giovanny Urshela and/or Richie Shaffer at third. They could also simply install Michael Martinez and/or Erik Gonzalez at second base.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Is David Dahl worth a high waiver?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I'd probably claim Dahl and stash him on my DL, waiver priority isn't super important in most fantasy baseball leagues. However, if your league historically has owners who make bad drops I'd hold onto it, Dahl is more of a flier at this point.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought our league was full but the last guy hasn't responded, so now we've become a charity case. The draft is this Sunday at 7pm EST and we still have an opening.

Please, won't you consider making a small contribution? For the price of a cup of coffee, you can get daily reminders of this fantasy team disappointing you.

Join HGH and Centaur Paintings today!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

That's an accurate representation of the talent level on that team.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Inherited a team in a friend's league. All I know about baseball is I like dingers. Please send help.

Are these the correct keepers? Do I keep Brian Dozier? I have the 4th pick in the draft if that matters.

pre:
10 team league
H2H
3 Keepers
R HR RBI SB  OBP
K W  SV  ERA WHIP

* keeper
C       Welington Castillo
1B      Brandon Belt
2B      Brian Dozier*
3B      Maikel Franco
SS      Xander Bogaerts*
2B/SS   Elvis Andrus
1B/3B   Mike Napoli
OF      Andrew McCutchen
OF      J.D. Martinez
OF      George Springer*
OF      Jose Ramirez
OF      Khris Davis
UTIL    Cameron Maybin
Bench   Starlin Castro
Bench   Denard Span
DL      Colby Rasmus

P       Jake Arrieta
P       Jacob deGrom
P       Stephen Strasburg
P       A.J. Ramos
P       Francisco Rodriguez
P       Jason Hammel
P       Rick Porcello
P       Matt Andriese
P       Dan Straily
Bench   Brad Brach

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

candide posted:

Inherited a team in a friend's league. All I know about baseball is I like dingers. Please send help.

Are these the correct keepers? Do I keep Brian Dozier? I have the 4th pick in the draft if that matters.

What are the keeper rules? It's probably between Dozier or Cutch, depending on if you think Cutch will bounce back or if Dozier's production was for real.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Inspector_666 posted:

What are the keeper rules? It's probably between Dozier or Cutch, depending on if you think Cutch will bounce back or if Dozier's production was for real.

Not sure about the rules but I found this on the league settings page for keepers?

quote:

Select up to the number of players you wish to keep for this year's draft. You have the choice to fill all available keeper slots or can choose to keep any number of them "empty". Any "empty" keeper slots equates to an extra pick in the draft. For example if your league has the option to keep only 5 players, you can choose to only keep 3, and you will get draft picks in the 4th and 5th rounds. You can change your keeper selections as many times as you wish up until the Keeper Lock Date, listed below. After that date selected Keepers are viewable to all league members.

Would skipping the third keeper be a viable option? I don't think Cutch will bounce back and I hate Dozier because of his slow start last year. Oh yeah, I inherited this team two seasons ago and kept Cutch both times. Also all of my baseball knowledge is superficial.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

candide posted:

Not sure about the rules but I found this on the league settings page for keepers?

Would skipping the third keeper be a viable option? I don't think Cutch will bounce back and I hate Dozier because of his slow start last year. Oh yeah, I inherited this team two seasons ago and kept Cutch both times. Also all of my baseball knowledge is superficial.

Skipping the keeper might be viable, but it also depends on who would be available. I assume all of the big-name guys are likely going to be kept given that there's no downside to doing so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Double posting, but one of the leagues I'm in draws to pick draft position (snake draft), and I got 6 (of 12.) Should I just stick there (I assume the first 5 will pick their slot) or what?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yeah I'd stay.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ended up with the 5th pick due to ~something~ with the guy picking ahead of me so, cool.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Ended up with the 5th pick due to ~something~ with the guy picking ahead of me so, cool.

:thumbsup:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey does anyone know why ESPN wouldn't let me draft at a particular time? I want 8PM and it only gives me the option for 7:45 and 8:15.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Rand alPaul posted:

Hey does anyone know why ESPN wouldn't let me draft at a particular time? I want 8PM and it only gives me the option for 7:45 and 8:15.

Maybe it's "full " at that exact time. Used to have that problem with fantasy football drafts on yahoo back in the day. If you waited to long to schedule your draft, you'd get stuck with only morning or afternoon slots.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

coronaball posted:

Maybe it's "full " at that exact time. Used to have that problem with fantasy football drafts on yahoo back in the day. If you waited to long to schedule your draft, you'd get stuck with only morning or afternoon slots.

Oh jeeze I never considered that. I thought Sunday nights would not be so busy, but then again every draft I've had has been Sunday now that I think of it.

Need to find some weirdos who are down with Wednesday 5:30am drafts.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know we're locked in to a draft, but Auctions kick rear end IMO.

e: poo poo I thought this was the league thread, but Auctions are still better.

kensei fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 23, 2017

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Hyun-jin Ryu is looking pretty good if he's available

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
My Yahoo league has a few spots open. Draft is set for this Sunday 7:30 PM EST. Competitive but no buy in.

QS, WHIP, ERA, K/9, K/BB, Saves, Holds
H, R, HR, RBI, BA, OPS, SB

PM if interested.

fromsinkingsands fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Schweinhund posted:

Hyun-jin Ryu is looking pretty good if he's available

Michael Wacha is also looking good.

This thread is dead this year.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Schweinhund posted:

Michael Wacha is also looking good.

This thread is dead this year.

Well, literally millions of people only watched baseball to see the Cubs win. Now they all died in peace.

R.I.P fantasy baseball.

I think Wacha is a good bet this year, great buy low candidate.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah, even my competitive main league is strangely silent. There has barely been any FA movement much less a trade.

Wacha is on my watch list. I currently have Moore as my last bench spot pitcher cause I have him pegged as much higher K upside. Surprisingly there are a bunch of pitchers I'm intrigued by on the wire still.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wacha has always had a ton of talent. his problem is health.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK so one of my leagues only just kicked back in at the last minute here and I'm finalizing my keepers.

On the pitching side I've got Thor ($13), Verlander ($8), Maeda ($2), Urias ($4), Taillon ($10), Carrasco ($10), Lester ($24)

Position players I've got Posey ($34), Sanchez ($10), Stanton ($42), Bogaerts ($15), Hosmer ($25), Odor ($10), Eaton ($8), Yelich ($8), Kinsler ($17).

7 keepers, total draft budget is $260.

Right now I have Thor, Verlander, Carrasco, Maeda, Sanchez, Bogaerts, and Odor selected as keepers.

I love Urias and Taillon, but the inning limit and cost respectively are pushing me away from tagging them this year. I guess my question is am I going too pitcher-heavy with this? Should I drop Maeda or Carrasco and keep Eaton/Yelich? Swapping Maeda for Yelich is very tempting.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 25, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

OK so one of my leagues only just kicked back in at the last minute here and I'm finalizing my keepers.

On the pitching side I've got Thor ($13), Verlander ($8), Maeda ($2), Urias ($4), Taillon ($10), Carrasco ($10), Lester ($24)

Position players I've got Posey ($34), Sanchez ($10), Stanton ($42), Bogaerts ($15), Hosmer ($25), Odor ($10), Eaton ($8), Yelich ($8), Kinsler ($17).

7 keepers, total draft budget is $260.

Right now I have Thor, Verlander, Carrasco, Maeda, Sanchez, Bogaerts, and Odor selected as keepers.

I love Urias and Taillon, but the inning limit and cost respectively are pushing me away from tagging them this year. I guess my question is am I going too pitcher-heavy with this? Should I drop Maeda or Carrasco and keep Eaton/Yelich? Swapping Maeda for Yelich is very tempting.

I was thinking Yelich so you could go that way. Thor/Verlander/Carrasco is a pretty sick 1-2-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I was thinking Yelich so you could go that way. Thor/Verlander/Carrasco is a pretty sick 1-2-3.

Yeah just swapped out Maeda for Yelich. I'm not sure why I wasn't more torn on that until just now.

• Locked thread