Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
He wasn't just propaganda minister, he was part of Hitler's inner circle and had a lot more authority over what happened in the government than his title would suggest. So yes, hang him high.

Panzeh posted:

Doenitz had the best defense lawyer there who wrote a book on the proceedings. It's why he got a rather light sentence for being Hitler's successor.

Doenitz got off lightly because senior American admirals pointed out that they had waged an identical submarine campaign in the Pacific that the Germans had in the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Does anyone have recommended reading on the inception and rise of the Nazi party or on the Nuremberg trials?

Richard Evans' Third Reich trilogy, Adam Tooze's Wages of Destruction, and Volker Ulrich's newly-released biography of Hitler are all good bets on the rise of Nazism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I didn't say any of that at all. I'm saying that the bomber strategy should have been scrapped as soon as they knew it was ineffective. I shouldn't have given specific examples, because it's entirely beside the point whether those examples would have worked or not. The failure in this case was a failure to change strategy given overwhelming evidence that it didn't work. Instead of trying to figure out something that would be effective, they morphed it into an equally ineffective but now obviously immoral and illegal campaign against civilian targets. Which, incidentally, still didn't achieve its stated goal of breaking enemy morale.

"My specific examples were entirely wrong but I'm still right despite having no proof or convincing arguments!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rodatose posted:

Why does every topic in d&d related to wwii always circle back to whether or not the us bombing the japanesse was justified

D&D hates context and moral ambiguity, both of which are things World War Two features heavily. Still it isn't as bad as the guy who claimed the United States could've beaten Japan by dropping food packages on their cities instead of bombs and that "unrestricted submarine warfare" wasn't technically a blockade.

Also for all the people bitching about the strategic bombing campaign, remember that it was the only major way for the West to strike directly at Germany for years. Even if it was as ineffective as people ITT are (wrongly) claiming, after June 1941 it was a political necessity to continue the raids because the Soviets.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 13, 2017

• Locked thread