Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I can see that things have gotten slightly off track from the original post here, but what the OP didn't mention was the long-term value of the Nuremberg trials in suppressing possible continuation of Nazi ideology. The trial and execution of major leaders--prominent and charismatic leaders, of which Goebbels was one--very arguably helped break the spirit of potential continued Nazi resistance and guerrilla warfare, which the Nazis were already making plans for during the fall of the Reich. Imagine the propaganda value to Nazi sympathizers if a major leader from Hitler's inner circle was still alive, and could be seen as a continuation of the regime. We have to consider the utility of the killings with a view towards establishing a stable postwar German state that soundly rejects Nazism as a viable ideology. That's what we got, so it may have been worth it to string up the people we did.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Is this really the reason that we didn't have a Nazi insurgency? I mean, the Americans executed Saddam Hussein and we got an Iraqi insurgency anyway.

I would guess a bigger factor was that many Nazis hosed off to South America.

Also, Rudolf Hess was still alive, why didn't he become a figure head for Nazi remnants?

I'm not sure the complexities of the two situations are easily comparable, for a variety of reasons, but it would take a while to delve into that. What I'm trying to identify here is that after the trials there was no one left who could (or was interested in) acting as a propaganda figure, someone to rally a fascist cause behind. You would have needed someone with a higher profile than was left, like Goering or Geobbels. Who were the people loving off to South America? Too small-time to inspire loyalty, not small-time enough to avoid trials.

But to be fair this isn't something I'm 100% sure about, and so as someone who opposes the use of the death penalty as a punishment it makes me a little uncertain about the Nuremberg executions. Maybe we could have gotten away with just locking them up for life!

e: edited for clarity, should read posts better when tired

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread