Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
In a memoir* I read of a US soldier on the western front, it mentions at least one German family that killed themselves because they were told via propaganda how savage the invading Americans are and that they were going to rape and murder them all. Something along those lines. Turns out in the story the invading Americans helped the one survivor with her garden instead of brutally killing her.

Whether or not this particular story is true I don't know, but propaganda can certainly kill people and I can see this happening plenty of times during WW2.

*Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II

e: Also they, or he himself, deliberately added an extra zero to the end of the Dresden bombings death toll they received from the local authority which probably got more than a few allied POWs killed in retribution. 20,000 actual dead made to be 200,000 dead in broadcasts and fliers. The bombings were indeed terrible but not 200,000 terrible.

wide stance fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread