Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jBrereton posted:

um what about Speer and Rudolf Höss

Speer deserved the rope and his autobiography is one long self-serving lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Panzeh posted:

To take a slightly different tack, do any of you think any of the acquittals or light sentences were justified?

Not Speer, probably not Doenitz but the prosecution's case against him was incredibly dumb because it allowed allied navy commanders to provide his best defense, Papen should have had prison but everyone at this point knew that he was probably going to be a harmless moron rather than a powerful moron.

I don't buy the acquittal of Riefenstahl and I think too much has been done in film nerd circles to whitewash her (similarly I think Celine should have been shot but only wasn't because of his nobel in litterature, his postwar output is the lovely whining of an unrepentent nazi angry that he got a slap on the wrist anyway). I don't absolutely think she deserved to hang but I don't think she deserved to walk either.

Admittedly my standards (anyone who volunteered for the Waffen SS, among other things) are iirc more extreme than the soviet union's.

• Locked thread