Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Peetown Manning posted:

I mean, this is just one narrative I've heard about Nazi leadership...

Hitler had this general idea of exterminating many people and conducting his war across Europe, and the consensus of his high command was pretty much the same. He appointed certain members of this high command not only for their structural benefit, such as their expertise in the department they would head, but also if they were just a really good Nazi. So my point here is that perhaps Goebbels was hired more like a crony and a good Nazi, then merely just filling some function Hitler needed filled.

It was like, "I don't have a position for you, good Nazi buddy, but I'll make one up for you!"

This is a totally nonacademic reference but Hitler's high command at times sounds like Lahey from Trailer Park Boys. "Don't you want to be ASSISTANT TRAILER PARK SUPERVISOR!?"

instead,

"Rudolf, you are such a good Nazi, please be my DEPUTY Fuhrer."
I'm not sure what the point you are trying to make here is(?), but Goebbels was deeply involved with the Nazis from the mid-20s onward. He wasn't just some random guy who got lucky by being chums with Hitler, or by taking over a position that someone else created - he was head of their Berlin branch from an early phase and carved out a role for himself as propaganda chief.

Given the evident role played by his propaganda in preparing the way not just for the Holocaust, but for the countless other Nazi atrocities, is he guilty? Incitement, assisting, or encouraging a crime - in particular one as monstrous as genocide - is undoubtedly a crime in my view. There is no question of ambiguity with respect to his intent and he has both moral and legal responsibility for the consequences of his actions.

As to whether he deserved to be executed? That depends on your stance on the death penalty I guess. I'm more or less against it on principle, but for literal Nazis who deliberately undertook the slaughter of millions? Its hard to argue that imprisonment is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread