Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Commie NedFlanders posted:

well you know some one out there is gonna be like "but what about free speech'

Not really. I mean I guess some crazy people would take it that far but I think most people who believe the US' fierce protection on speech is a good thing wouldn't have a problem with what he did not being protected speech. Besides that, he was clearly a high level associate aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise so his exact role is irrelevant anyway. I guess someone could have a blanket opposition to the death penalty, but that's boring in the context of this thread. Really, his execution would logically follow from his level of crimes compared to other nazis that were put to death.

Honestly killing JG just isn't a very controversial thing. You want to make this thread interesting, let's talk about Anwar al-Awlaki.

Peetown Manning posted:

I mean, this is just one narrative I've heard about Nazi leadership...

Hitler had this general idea of exterminating many people and conducting his war across Europe, and the consensus of his high command was pretty much the same. He appointed certain members of this high command not only for their structural benefit, such as their expertise in the department they would head, but also if they were just a really good Nazi. So my point here is that perhaps Goebbels was hired more like a crony and a good Nazi, then merely just filling some function Hitler needed filled.

It was like, "I don't have a position for you, good Nazi buddy, but I'll make one up for you!"

This is a totally nonacademic reference but Hitler's high command at times sounds like Lahey from Trailer Park Boys. "Don't you want to be ASSISTANT TRAILER PARK SUPERVISOR!?"

This really doesn't fit for Goebbels because his skill at manipulation and propaganda was evident really early on and a department of propaganda is a pretty obvious thing you would want to create.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Cronyism implies nepotism + incompetence and you simply cannot make that argument work for Goebbles. There's a very obvious reason he ended up heading the department he did. Cronyism is like Trump appointing Carson to HUD just because he likes the guy. You're also not quite understanding how and why he ended up in Hitler's inner circle, which was exactly because he was really loving good at propaganda and manipulating people. Funny how that works.

Anyway I agree that his exact role is largely irrelevant.

• Locked thread