Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This thread is over right? Everyone agrees that Goebbels should have been hanged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's more humane to let people die quickly while they are fully conscious. Hanging or firing squad imo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Okay, let the condemned choose from a list.

But I’m going to take issue if inert gas asphyxiation isn’t an item on that list.

Sounds ok. IGA sounds worse to me because you forget that you are dying but I can see why others might prefer it. It is totally painless after all.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

This is pretty insanely sexist.

Genocidal race wars are highly problematic.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

Asserting that all men are rape monsters detracts from the abnormality and therefore undermines the scale of the atrocity of the mass rape, you idiot.

Soldiers in war are monsters. They are intentionally dehumanized through training and they are dehumanized by the atrocities they witness. War without rape is a fantasy and the inevitable rapes is one reason among many why war is inherently awful.

E: soldiers in war are not "men." Men are not rape monsters, combatants are.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Act of Killing isn't really a good example of what we're talking about because those dudes were monsters from the start. But killing people and watching people be killed and discovering massacres and constant existential fear will turn you into an unhuman.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

reignonyourparade posted:

And again if it's just about dehumanizing the enemy you haven't accounted for the mass rape of their own countrywomen either.

It's not about dehumanization of the enemy it's about dehumanization of the soldiers themselves.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JFairfax posted:

why are you denying that rape happens in war?

Hmm so you think that rape happens as a result of war?? Well how about these three outliers where it happened less than normal? :smugbird:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Stone Cold trying to advocate for the idea of a sanitary war. Extremely gross in my opinion.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Those were some highly moral wars stone cold. Extremely relevant data to the eastern front 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

If you're going to attack the literature, you should at least read it, lest you look a buffoon.

:tipshat:

You should probably read the studies before you post them.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's extremely telling how Effectronica will go to bat for the concept of politically correct war

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't believe rape is a natural and inevitable phenomenon everybody does, no.

But you do believe war is a natural and inevitable phenomenon everybody does?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica why do you think war is a natural and inevitable aspect of human nature?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

This entire line of argument amounts to an insistence that rapists are not responsible for their actions, inventing a biological theory of war as a justification.

I'm sorry about your fantasy of war without victimization.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

They were just a couple of bad apples!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Rape can be eliminated because war can be eliminated. You think that war is an inevitable part of human society because you enjoy the fantasy of just war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Is this really the reason that we didn't have a Nazi insurgency? I mean, the Americans executed Saddam Hussein and we got an Iraqi insurgency anyway.

I would guess a bigger factor was that many Nazis hosed off to South America.

Also, Rudolf Hess was still alive, why didn't he become a figure head for Nazi remnants?

There wasn't a Baathist insurgency.

But the real reason is because totalitarian ideologies fall apart remarkably fast. Naziism was dead by the end of the war in Germany and it happened like right away in the USSR after Stalin's death.

E: and Saddam's Iraq wasn't totalitarian anyway

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread