Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm sure I'll look stupid for saying this two days from now but I do think Joshua has stepped up too big too early against Klitschko. Even at 41 Wlad would probably beat out 95% of heavyweights without problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

I know this will never happens for financial reasons, but humour me in this hypothetical world.

Let's say we manage to cook down the alphabet soup of boxing promotions to just one promotion. One belt per weight class. Would that make it harder or easier for the actual good fights to happen?
Because currently it seems like a lot of guys tend to hide from good fighters behind mandatory challengers who usually aren't very good.

Boxing is too big for this to happen without a group with NFL-level funding and enough investors interested in establishing long-term associations that can outbid the current promoters across the line. There are just too many fighters (17 divisions, 4+ "world champions," dozens of regional organizations) with too many ways to make money for themselves fighting on local TV markets at home. For any one organization to dominate the current landscape of the sport you'd need the kind of money that can secure not only the Canelos and GGGs of the world but also the other 80% of the top ten in every division, and could also buy out 80% of the current TV dates used by other promoters.

You would need an organization that is basically the NBA of boxing where no fighter within the top 200 p4p would ever dream of fighting in another organization, and probably some local team structure to support fighters, put on local fights and build up fans that don't go away when individual fighters retire. The money and benefits would need to be really good to convince a lot of fighters to take a mandated schedule, instead of fighting mediocre competition as the "WBC world champion" on German TV.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 2, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Canelo looks like he's completely negated any size advantage Chavez Jr. might have.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

HBO seems pretty confident about Canelo/Golovkin happening at 160 lb instead of some other goofy weight limit, let's hope that's the case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mikey Garcia will be fighting Adrien Broner next, making it the first time in the last three years that I'm interested in seeing Broner fight again. If Garcia wins we might see him transition quickly into the welterweight division.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sounds like it'll be at 140 lb. Having the winner fight Crawford would be great, but I'd bet TC's getting set aside for a Pacquiao fight later this year.

Yeah I have a feeling most people will be sleeping on Broner coming into the fight. It's really amazing how far that guy's star has fallen in the last few years.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It was too dumb not to happen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At -800 Floyd is almost worth betting on, at least it's better than justifying a four digit bet that at best returns ten cents on the dollar.

Really if I'm going to bet on the fight it'll be a stoppage bet.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

drat that came up quick for some reason I thought the rematch was happening in July.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ehhh Canelo will be okay. I have a feeling most of his fans (and most boxing fans for that matter) don't give a poo poo about Mayweather-McGregor. I feel bad for Miguel Cotto though lmao. It really does seem like Mayweather picked the day that would most gently caress over Golden Boy Promotions.

Honestly I think Mayweather-McGregor does nowhere near the Pacquiao numbers that people are projecting. I'm sure there are plenty of casual fans dumb enough to think this is some kind of super competitive fight, but I have real trouble believing there's anywhere near the same level of enthusiasm for this match as there was for MayPac.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Writing something up for Ward-Kovalev 2. I'm really surprised by how little buzz this fight seems to have, even before the Floyd/Conor announcement. Even though the first fight was close with a lot of people picking Kovalev, I haven't heard of anyone picking him to win the rematch, most people I've talked to or heard from think Ward will win the rematch fairly wide.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Eh I lied and won't have time to write anything up. My feelings about Ward-Kova 2 are pretty similar to Lionel's to be honest. Kovalev was a step short in the first fight and it's kinda hard to see him closing that gap without Ward deteriorating.

Also from what I hear Kovalev has a guaranteed purse of $0 and all his money will be made from PPV and ticket revenue.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You're the hero this thread needs, I'm the hero this thread deserves.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After thinking about it for a few days I'm less upset about the overall outcome of Ward-Kovalev 2 although I still think the stoppage was poo poo. Ward did plenty of good body work and I'm unconvinced that Kovalev was so badly hurt just from low blows. If Weeks had stopped the fight ten seconds later after Ward had landed some big headshot bomb it wouldn't have been a great refereeing job either but at least the stoppage would have made more sense. The right guy won though and I think Ward was on his way to a clear stoppage.

Pacquiao-Horn will not only be a free fight but it'll be on ESPN instead of HBO. Very interesting and could be a sign of things to come.

I've also heard rumors that Roc Nation is closing the lights on their boxing division and that Andre Ward may be going to Top Rank soon. Not too unexpected, Roc Nation way overpaid Cotto for what they got out of him and Cotto's already left for GBP anyway. I'm still trying to find out if Cotto's Aug 26th fight here at StubHub is going forward because I'd like to get tickets to see him but not if he reschedules out of competing with Mayweather.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There was a shot fairly early in the eighth round that I thought was very low but I've had trouble finding it on replay. I don't have an HD recording of the fight yet and all the clips I've seen online have been some combination of very short, poor resolution/blurry frames, or ambiguous about what part of the round the clip was from.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I asked around and it sounds like Miguel Cotto will indeed go forward with his fight against Kamegai on August 26th. This puts me in a bit of a bind, as I live in Los Angeles about twenty minutes away from the StubHub Center. I'm a Cotto fan and have even seen him before live against Manny Pacquiao back in 2009, and it's a rare opportunity for me to see him cheaply since he's typically fought out of New York. Also on moral grounds I'd rather pay $100 to see a living legend live than spend $100 on Floyd's victory lap. But the odds of me convincing anyone else to go with me are pretty loving low, the few people I've talked to with any interest in boxing still want to see how it plays out live. So I'll probably end up watching McMay instead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So Ward's been talking about fighting at cruiserweight or even heavyweight. What do you think his odds are there?

Virgil has even suggested Ward could be Anthony Joshua, which, lol

It'll be tough going. The jump from light heavyweight to cruiser is 25 lb, it's even bigger than that for heavyweight.

Andre Ward is 6'0" with a 71" reach.
Sergey Kovalev is 6'0" with a 72.5" reach.

At cruiserweight:
Oleksandr Usyk is 6'3" with a 78" reach.
Tony Bellew is 6'3" with a 74" reach.
Mairis Briedis is 6'1" with no information on his reach.
Murat Gassiev is 6'4" with a 76" reach.
Beibut Shumenov is 6'2" with a 74" reach.

At heavyweight:
Anthony Joshua is 6'6" with an 82" reach.
Deontay Wilder is 6'7" with an 83" reach.
Joseph Parker is 6'4" with a 76" reach.
Wladimir Klitschko is 6'6" with an 81" reach.
Tyson Fury is 6'9" with an 85" reach.

Andre Ward could conceivably win titles in these weight classes but it would require very careful matchmaking and probably some luck too. Everyone I named here besides maybe Briedis has at least 3 inches on his reach, plus whatever power advantages their extra weight might provide. I think Ward is good but I don't know if he's Tyson good on the inside. (BTW, Tyson was 5'10" with a 71" reach.)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Three days of furious thought, a box of pencils, and four reams of loose leaf.

This is an actual image made by someone at boxingscene. You could have done much worse.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Honestly I have no problem with Arum & crew talking that fight up, I'm just happy to get a free-on-cable Manny Pacquiao fight in the summer.

edit: obligatory "Pacquiao's gonna take him to summer school" joke

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Speaking of ESPN fights:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/30/15898278/lomachenko-marriaga-crawford-indongo-set-for-espn-in-august

Vasyl Lomachenko has an ESPN show for August 5th in what looks to be a showcase / stay busy fight. Also he's fighting within literal walking distance of my house so I'm definitely gonna go see it.

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th. Both fighters are undefeated and between them they have all 4 major world titles at 140 lb, making this a true unification fight where the winner can call himself the undisputed champ at light welterweight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice. Ive got a big group for the fight, definitely helps that it's free to watch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got tickets to the Lomachenko fight in August. I've never been to the Microsoft (formerly Nokia) Theater for a fight before, but I think I got some pretty good seats considering I'm eligible for accessible seating tickets. I'm not expecting some great fight or anything but I am looking forward to watching Loma style on a guy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

As long as Lomachenko is with Top Rank I don't see either of those fights as especially likely.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seemed like it was a matter of time. From what I've heard Bradley is well looked-after financially, made good investments after the money he made from the three Pacquiao fights and Marquez. He could realistically come back for a few million-dollar paydays but not without taking on some very risky opponents, and there's no sense in him risking his health for money if he's already financially set.

In the end I think there's not much left for Bradley to prove anyway. Three Pacquiao fights have proved he isn't the best fighter of his generation but I think he also did enough to prove he was pretty drat good, and between his Marquez win and Provodnikov war I think it'll be a matter of time until he's in the Boxing Hall of Fame. Retiring with Pacquiao as your only clear loss is not a bad career at all.

Even as I think Bradley would be competitive with any other welterweight active today including Errol Spence and Keith Thurman (though he'd likely be the underdog in both fights), at this point I don't think either of those fights add a lot to his career. As a boxing fan those are matches I want to see, but as a Tim Bradley supporter I'd rather see Bradley retire in good health and stay involved in the sport as a commentator or trainer.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure, as a fan I don't want him to leave the sport entirely though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Wlad will be cracking top ten lists for a while just for how long he stayed at the top. But yeah his competition wasn't always the best and imo he lacks a really career defining fight or win that would keep people talking about him.

I'm getting pretty hyped about seeing Loma up close in two days, got great seats for the event.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Juan Manuel Marquez also announced retirement today. Marquez hasn't fought since beating Mike Alvarado in 2014 which all in all isn't a bad win to close your career out on. He'll always have that fourth Pacquiao fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I agree that Vitali was probably the better fighter of the two, certainly I enjoyed watching him fight more than Wlad who was often too complacent against lesser fighters.

In other news...
https://twitter.com/amirkingkhan/status/893457703061921792

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My sister's getting married that day. :(

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

being a boxing casual i had never heard of this guy. if you've got 10 minutes, i suggest watching this. bad, bad dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRJls-dC2E

Edwin Valero was a nutcase. Who knows how far he could have gone in the pros, but he had a few too many loose screws. I try to pretend he never existed tbh

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's been discussed in the ESPN thread but with Rigondeaux fighting Lomachenko this may be the best year for fights we've had in a long long time. Sounds like ESPN was able to put up the big purse Rigo has been holding out for.

As it stands I think I'd have to pick Lomachenko to win, think his movement and activity will close the gap against Rigo, but with two really talented guys you never know how it'll turn out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm already tempering the expectations of friends who have asked me about the fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

thehappyprince posted:

i'm super pumped for the golovkin fight. when it was announced i had it like 70-30 golovkin but i think it's more 60-40 now due to reflections on ggg's recent fights.

Yeah same, used to think Golovkin was the heavy favorite but now i think it's a very even match that I'm just rooting for GGG to win. I think Canelo has gotten better with every fight and is a lot better prepared for Golovkin than he was a few years ago.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This story understandably got buried on Saturday by Mayweather-McGregor news, but ESPN and Top Rank announced that they have a minimum 4-year deal made between them. ESPN is now the exclusive carrier of Top Rank fights, will be showing both their big event cards as well as the smaller cards Top Rank used to develop their fighters that previously got buried on Spanish only channels, and will also be broadcasting PPV fights for the company. ESPN is also getting access to Top Rank's fight library of classic fights.

Several fights for the network coming up including Oscar Valdez, Jesse Magdaleno, the Pacquiao-Horn rematch and Lomachenko vs probably Rigondeaux in December.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's a Variety story on boxing. I don't even trust them to cover regular news.

alansmithee posted:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm just kinda getting back into watching boxing the last couple of years so I have some catching up to do.

I find it funny that Salido won how he did. One of my friends during both of the last Loma fights was aways saying how if he was in the ring against him he'd be trying to throw low blows and elbows and clinching and whatever rather than just get styled on and peppered with shots constantly. Apparently that's a legit strategy.

Also the ESPN-Top Rank deal is really good. There's no central body governing things, but getting good matches on regular cable can only help boxing's exposure.
Fouling your way back into fights is a legitimate talent in boxing, and can be really effective in sapping a faster/stronger fighter's strength and stamina. How successful you are in part falls upon how competent or biased the referee is. It's not seen as sportsmanlike when done excessively and fans do take notice. Bernard Hopkins was a notorious fouler, and arguably a master at his craft; timing his low punches for moments where the referee's view of the shot was obstructed. Andre Ward's sort of inherited that mantle today, but at times I've also heard guys like Tim Bradley, Abner Mares, and even Floyd Mayweather get accused of frequent fouling too.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I dunno about you guys but I'm starting to get real excited about Canelo-GGG. I'm a big fan of both guys and I just have a feeling this is gonna be a great one.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Even for me, I'm picking Golovkin but it's a toss up from my perspective.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm gonna try and get a thread out for Canelo-GGG, if it's not up by thursday someone else can go ahead and do it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was worried about whether this would be a "big" enough fight or whether it would be eclipsed by Mayweather-McGregor, so I'm pleasantly surprised by how much casual interest I've run into for this one. Almost everyone I talked to has GGG winning, even the Hispanic guys are pulling for Golovkin. Branding himself as a "Mexican Style" fighter and coming out to the west coast has won him a ton of fans here. At Lomachenko's event I saw a ton of people wearing the "Mexicans for Golovkin" shirt too. I don't even think it's that people are against Canelo, there's just something about Golovkin as a fighter that is getting people supporting him.

I'm also gonna say this: I think Mayweather-McGregor being a well-watched fight that was fairly entertaining has brought in some renewed interest in the sport. People liked what they saw, it was a good look for boixng as a sport and a very public reinforcement of why fans call it the "sweet science." I don't know if this will translate to PPV numbers so soon after that one (are people really gonna spend $165 on boxing in a three-week period?) but it may at least translate to a bigger general awareness of this matchup, and if Canelo-GGG delivers on the hype then that will definitely create more long-term boxing fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I haven't talked to anyone who outright hates him or at least not for a while. I know a few guys who really appreciated the rear end whooping he put on Chavez Jr. and most of the cherry picking talk has died down with this Golovkin fight happening.

Also for what it's worth nobody has given me a pick to win the fight with any confidence. Everyone's just like "yeah I'm rooting for canelo / GGG and hope he wins." Goes to show how evenly matched people think this one is.