Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy hell, Wilder sounds pumped. Man I should just quit reading fight city in favor of bad left hook, the former is like 80% old articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Teddy Atlas has given Vasyl the moniker "No Maschenko".

Edit - the Bad Left Hook article says the fighter made the joke himself in the post-bout interview. Ah well.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

whats the best way to watch the fight now its over?

First thing I did this morning was find a no sound recording on youtube on the first page of search results. It wasn't great but I wasn't able to watch it live and it least it keeps me in the conversation of my favorite sport.

Edit: Regarding Loma's Pound per Pound status, Andre Ward was cagey, citing the lack of opposition. At this point I have to wonder if it's not becoming more and more acceptable for fighters to quit against this particular guy. I mean, when you know the last 3 guys quit, that's got to make it easier for you to do it right? I haven't looked into it; did the last 3 guys absolutely tank their careers or have they gotten good fights since?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 11, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought Rigo's counter footwork looked good for the first couple rounds, but either he got tired doing it, or Loma started to anticipate it, or both.

But at first, his pivots and leans and cut backs were keeping Loma from landing clean hits, but I think he was working hard just to break even and it wasn't sustainable.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Next Loma fight needs a ridiculous penalty fee for quiting .

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy hell, they let Mercante Jr talk like that and keep his job? (yeah yeah boxing). I'll remember this the next time I think Robert Bryd stopped a fight too early.

"Suck it up champ!" *man without a knee cap makes a limping shuffle step like a horse trying to avoid the glue wagon.

*man who can't use foot work eats a combination.* "Good job son!"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
SIR are you suggesting the heavy weight title will become more unified?? Google tells me this guy is the WBO champ.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was screwing around on you tube and watched an old vlad fight and was surprised at how nostalgic I got when he dropped a beautiful right hand.

Course the whole point of the clip was that Emmanuel Steward spent 10 rounds begging Vlad to please hit the guy so~

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This would be after Manny fights Horn again right? So assuming he looks good there (and wins) Manny could make more of a case for this?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice chalk outline showing where Ali's legacy died.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm watching every Manny Pacqiao fight in order. I've just gotten through del la hoya, and even though I saw it on ppv live I have a hard time seeing how we get from here to the mayweather fight. Of course, I think at this point in my chronology I'm almost as far from the mayweather fight as I am from his first fight 2008 to 2015 is a loong time.

Still, I went into the marathon largely ignorant of Manny's career and seeing him grow has been fascinating. Pac man circa 2008 is unbelievable.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Spoilers!!! But yeah, it's been a blast seeing him grow from having a one trick left straight into p4p best. Makes the decline I know is coming a bit sad.

His face is getting old slower than I thought, maybe that happens in a hurry, though losing the frosted tips was an immediate and dramatic change.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo what is this?? I've got it on now, it's an undercard. This is awesome!

Edit: these guys are exhausted.

Edit2: Not bad infighting in the final round, I can only imagine how many punches those guys threw if that's how they were in round 10.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 3, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Watching every Pac Man fight in order is going well, I've learned a lot. For instance, before undertaking this I had no idea that the Manny Pacquiao who fought Floyd Mayweather was, in fact, a ghost. It's true: apparently Juan Manuel Marquez killed him in the last second of their last fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great article thanks. Ouch though: "When the fight ended and Pacquiao was being stitched, Jinkee sat with her husband and several of her friends read Bible verses aloud. Most of them had to do with infidelity"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can hear lederman now " ok jim it turns out if the fighters head is punched clean off the judges should score it a 10 8 round, but there's no rule in the Nevada State athletic commission that actually requires them to do so. Back to you!"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any details on roach leaving? Money? Doesn't want to see Manny fight anymore? His own health? I crave boxing gossip.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"At the heart of the deal, Hearn and Matchroom Boxing will stage 16 shows in America, which will be streamed exclusively on DAZN in the States, while 16 of his UK shows will also be shown on the platform...DAZN, who are hoping to emerge as ‘the Netflix of sport’, already operate in Canada, Japan, Germany, Austria and Switzerland but they have huge plans to take over America too."

Easy streaming that will let me support the sport legally, no HBO-style premium cable service required?? It's looking good boys.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh, yeah, but such a better version lost to Joshua. Let Joshua take Fury's head off and close the book on this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think that wrestling is an underappreciated part of boxing, and infighting in general is too quickly stopped, and the refs should more often let the fighters work out of clinches.

Mayweather doesn't merely clinch because he's a shady dude that will approach cheating to win, which might be a popular perception of him, he clinches because he's actually a very good wrestler (within boxing) and his opponents can't stop him from man handling them.

Im also not any sort of trainer or good boxer, but just for encouragement I'll say that you should get your coach or someone else to help you work on your infighting. The first time one of those longer boxers clinches and learns that you're getting your hands free and hitting them with short hooks, things are gonna change for the better (for you).

Link! https://youtu.be/zbVHQHpHWqw

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The tiers fighters can be placed into, which is some combination of their talent/training, their age/arc of their career, and the preparation/motivation for a particular bout, is a fascinating topic I'd love to see explored in more detail.

For example you've got Buster Dougals vs Tyson compared to Buster Douglas vs Hollyfield. You've got the gatekeepers that never claimed a championship but still make a hard test for anyone trying to surpass them. You've got former top tier light heavyweights who have now aged into the heavyweight division, now badly outgunned.

Edit: YouTube is filled with videos where over hyped upstarts finally advance past club fighter tin cans and run into men who are on the way down in their career but who nonetheless still posses, perhaps only in flashes, formidable skills and talents. The indignance with which these "has beens" dispatch the hype train is always a pleasure.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 7, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah who the heck is Trevor Berbick anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My only question would be whether he knows it's nothing more than a cash grab for two has beens or if he thinks people would actually rate the fight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel kind of weird rooting against Canelo because I actually really like his head movement and versatile combinations. It really was a good fight, the last round in particular deserves another viewing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sorry I missed what was apparently a good start, but I came on during the 6th and saw something memorable in the 7th.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love teddy atlas, read his book twice. Gonna listen to that asap.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This bothers me, but not as much as it might have five or ten years ago. Either they got worse or something about me changed, either way I dont get the same feeling from hearing Jones and young man what's his name talking about a fight vs Foreman/Steward with Larry Merchant.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Troy Queef posted:

and of course OKAY JIM!

Fffffff ok now I'm feeling it. I'll never again know how Harold Letterman, our unofficial judge, has it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Nope.

We’ve probably seen the last of Lampley and Lederman.

I'd pay a small fee to get their great commentary riff tracks style.

Edit: actually, does anyone do this? I don't follow enough to know if, like, modern mixed martial artist does. I know Mexican MA does it for UFC, but I dont really follow that sport.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm too dumb to have a real oppinion other than that Wilder has the most room to suddenly get a lot better, right? In that his technique isn't really at all what you'd expect from a world class boxer?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, a bit out of left field but did anyone else find the their love of boxing complicated by an increased awareness of concussions and the long term health effects? It's been weighing on me lately.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think the best argument against "these guys know what they're getting into" is that most of the top guys start when they're literally children and don't actually know the risks really. I was watching a fight the other day where Abner Mares and Holyfield were commenting and they said they started boxing at ages 7 and 8 respectively. Mayweather started boxing at like age 5. Alvarez was a pro fighter when he was 14. Your brain is still developing until you're in your early 20s.

Right, that's an excellent point, along with the conventional wisdom that says boxers come from poor backgrounds and wouldn't be putting themselves through it otherwise. And even setting aside consent, the more aware of it I become the more it colors the events I watch

Joyce Carol Oates, "On Boxing" posted:

If boxing is a sport it is the most tragic of all sports because more than any human activity it consumes the very excellence it displays-its drama is this very consumption. To expend oneself in fighting the greatest fight of one's life is to begin by necessity that downward turn that next time may be a plunge, an abrupt fall into the abyss.

"On Boxing" would be my number one recommendation to anyone who wants a book on the subject. I was in my early 20's when I first read it and, while it certainly left an impression on me then, it's speaking to me even more today. When I watched the Fury/Wilder fight, specifically the final round when Fury got up from a huge shot and absorbed a few more punches, and I just can't enjoy it so uncritically. I still love the sport but I'm personally more affected by the damage they're taking than I used to be. I mean, I'm noticing things like this are showing up on youtube along side highlights.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 15, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked Wilder-Fury, how can you not like the classic "big puncher goes after more a technical, defensive fighter". There's tension the whole time and, almost certainly, moments of real crisis.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yesssss, I can't wait to read that.

Edit: good, but a lot of the "only judges can judge" boils down to "no one else is close enough or paying enough attention". They have some good arguments supporting that but I was expecting something more than "they're embarrassing and shameful" regarding the judges that clearly don't have any business doing it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I should have said that, while they back up their claim with some decent enough points, I'm not really convinced that no one else watching a fight is able to tell who's winning.

I mean, regarding their "his cards diverged more as he got farther away from the table", isn't it a small sample size and wouldn't you have some variance in judgments from person to person inherently? Because that's literally what judging is?

Man now I'm day dreaming about a 538 article about this.

Edit: yeah, I thought the same thing about the ref, but I imagine their counter argument would be that the ref's mind is occupied with enforcing the rules.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Will Khan struggle any to make the weight, do you think?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's in his thirties, I just thought he might be getting heavier as he ages. I mostly asked because a bad cut supposedly makes a hard knockout even worse.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW, I was talking last night with the old boxer that attends our jiu jitsu/mma gym and he said the fight will come down to which Broner shows up, because apparently when the boxer met/saw him he looked like weighed about 200 lbs in the "off season", seems he doesnt take good care of himself and has inconsistent results in his camps. Is that a known thing at all? Anyway, while the age is the big question with Pacquiao I don't think theres any doubt that he'll have a disciplined camp and come in as good of shape as his body allows.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whats the one fight from Jacobs I should go watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Get back to me on ppv when me and all the other goons can each pay $10 to access a private stream with chat.