Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Jake LaMotta passed away yesterday. Rest in peace Raging Bull.

I was stunned he was still alive when I saw him a couple/three years ago watching someone or other being inducted into the boxing HoF. Other than being older than dirt he was in stunningly good shape for a guy who made his living and reputation doing nothing but eating punches. Seemed to be able to walk ok, his speech wasn't terribly slurred or anything.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jerusalem posted:

Which in turn reminded me, Tua's performance against Lennox Lewis was one of the most disappointing boxing matches I ever saw, it's like his management decided to confuse Lewis by having Tua fight the complete opposite of everything he'd ever done in his career up to that point (punch people's brains out). I was a big Tua fan but I have no idea if he was considered a guy with promise or just somebody who fought bums and then got exposed the moment he fought a quality opponent in Lewis (to be equally fair, I was a HUGE Lewis fan so maybe I'm overrating him too) - last I heard Tua was still occasionally boxing which is just kinda sad really.

It's been forever but I remember Tua/Lewis as being kind of a preview of Lewis/Tyson? Except Tua managed to make it to a decision. Like Tua just could never get inside other than a few lunging left hooks from way outside and Lewis jabbed him to death. I haven't tried to go look it up to see if my memory is correct though.

Also good news, at least according to boxrec Tua hasn't fought since 2013, so at least there's that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess he might as well try to call Joshua out. Whatever momentum his career might once have had has been derailed by dudes other than himself pissing hot for a while now. And of course I can easily see him losing quickly to anyone who's actually good who manages to make it to the ring with him.

As an aside how in the living gently caress did Povetkin fail a drug test for a fight in Russia? I mean they have whole loving government conspiracies in place to prevent that from happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh Jesus Christ I'm an idiot. I've been confused all along wondering why David Lemieux was going all the way down to middleweight.

Apparently seeing Montreal just made my brain insert Jean Pascal as who was being talked about regardless of the actual name. And I even know and like Lemieux as a fighter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

Al Bernstein is a print journalist by trade and probably the best analyst in TV

Not that he was particularly good but Larry Merchant was just a journalist too wasn't he? Seems like there's been a color guy like that in the booth for the last 30 years on major broadcasts, and then a current/past boxer or trainer in addition to that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Garlic Wraith posted:

I can't stand it when keeps re-iterating that Andre Ward hasn't lost a boxing match since he was 13.

Neither have I!

Probably neither has Kellerman.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CRISPYBABY posted:

I don't know poo poo about boxing, but I try to watch Lomachenko fights because he is super cool. What kind of potential opponents could be next for him?

I guess Mikey Garcia is the biggest sort of realistic name, but he went up to 140 to fight Broner and I don't know if he cares to come back down to 135. And I kinda doubt Loma would jump all the way to 140 immediately.

I could see him doing the belt collecting thing and just cleaning out 130 before moving up to 135. Which would be impressive enough but boring as far as matchups go for the most part.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s generally true, but I don’t know of any instance where a ref has overruled the ring doctor, so for practical purposes the doctor can stop the fight.

I want to say a ringside doctor has the right to stop a fight at any time including during a round if he deems fit no matter what the ref says, but I can't remember any specific instances of this happening.

I do remember a few articles about ringside doctors who have regretted not doing so or attempting to do so in fights where someone has died.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

I'm too washed to stay up for a card that starts at 10:30 EST but Bud threw a punch at Benavidez during the weigh-in so my interest is piqued at least.

Well maybe you won't have to wait that long?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Didn't think the knockout was going to come for a while there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dogboe seems to be a very shouty person.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I like that I have to be pleasantly surprised by those cards.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's clearly winning but this does not seem as easy as normal for Loma.

e: I say right as he wins the fight probably.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wise Learned Man posted:

I do not understand how Pedraza stayed standing for so long. Or how he survived the round.

Yeah that was legit impressive to the point where I was scared for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man Pedraza threw so many punches that didn't land. That's got to be so ridiculously draining aside from that 11th round.

e: And Loma definitely looks like he's been in a fight

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2018