Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Collazo is one of those guys who probably no one will remember in like 15 years, but was a really solid pro. Hopefully he has gotten a few solid paydays out of all those big name fights he has been in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Kind of a fun PBC fight on right now.

Rashaun Warren vs Zhakiyanov (trained by Ricky Hatton I guess).

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

He looked to be no worse than he was in the his old, "off training camp" periods. Honestly was doing a pretty solid job in the corner, though it probably helped that his guy Friday night decided was fighting in his style.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Would be a fun excuse to fly out to Vegas and throw a ton of money on a Floyd stoppage.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think he probably is cooked at this point sadly.

I'll take Garcia. I do agree he maybe fights down to opponents a little bit, but I also like his resume a little more. Porter was a good win for Thurman, but beyond that I prefer Garcia's. Probably a close fight either way.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Given Thurman can box, I think you will see him come forward and try to engage with Garcia (unlike Herrera or Peterson). I'd argue that suits Garcia fairly well, since he does have good boxing ability, and would rather be able to counter.

I don't think it is a Porter style fight where either guy tries to make rough and physical, but I also don't see Thurman being on a bike and making Garcia look slow.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Thurman's not a dumbass though, so while I think he'll push the action, I don't think he's going to be overextending himself into counters all night.

Side note, I think you're using "box" differently than most people would.

You are right on that, i meant more of a boxer puncher style as opposed to a using the legs and boxing ability to keep distance.

I guess the overall point I am trying to get at, is I think Thurman has confidence in his abilities to win in the exchanges based on his skills (unlike probably Peterson or Herrera) and this will cause him to come forward. I am of the opinion they are actually fairly similar in terms of skill, so if he does take a more aggressive approach, it will suit Garcia, leading to close rounds.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I do think Thurman overdid his adjustments a little bit. The first few rounds were probably a little more than ideal in terms of exchanges, so the adjustment to move made sense. He just had some success with it and nearly gave the advantage away in the last quarter of the fight on his bicycle.

Having said all that, I do wonder if this is more of Thurman's style going forward. Garcia probably does have a good chin, but this is a few guys in a row, where I don't think he damaged fighters as much as he would have expected with his power.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Mikey Garcia had a fun KO if you are in to that. Breazeale v Ugonoh was a fun heavyweight fight. Pretty much the Boxing After Dark card on Jan 28 - Vargas V Berchelt and Miura v Roman.

Thurman Garcia was interesting tension wise, but not a ton of all out action. Frampton v Cruz is also probably worth a watch.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't know that a ton of people are going to be willing to pay 64.99 for it though.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think it is probably a lot like the Lemieux fight. I think Jacobs is better than Lemieux, but that doesn't change the fundamental flow of things. GGG is there to be hit, Jacobs hits hard enough for that to matter, but GGG is still more skilled and might break Jacobs face before any of that matters.

Longer it goes, the more Jacobs power fades with the punishment and the easier the work gets for GGG.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I'd also argue with GGG it is as much about who ever decides they are going to fight him first. GGG is going to fight anyone with a belt, or whoever is the best challenger he can get at the time.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

To be fair, Martinez on those legs against GGG is no way to live. I'd have told him to fight Cotto 10 times out of 10 before Golovkin.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Chocolatito more or less won that fight, and GGG didn't, so in my rankings that don't matter at all, Chocolatito is still number 1.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I would have liked to see Vargas against loma but he was tragically killed earlier this year by Berchelt

I wouldn't have minded a Lomachenko fight vs. Berchelt after he destroyed Vargas the way he did. Not going to happen, but Berchelt looked pretty solid.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Really good performance from AJ. I think you could tell Klitschko knew he was in trouble when he couldn't get it done after 7. The rally and energy spent over rounds 6 and 7 were pretty much his last stand. As soon as he reverted to clinching, the fight shifted back.

Still took Joshua applying the finish, which deserves a lot of credit imo.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Canelo can at the very least do a decent job emulating the strategy Jacobs used.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Saunders, if nothing else, is a pretty capable boxer with decent movement. He can cause Lemieux problems.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Fighting Seldin looks like it would be no fun at all.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Not often you hear guys blaming someone for running into an elbow.

AJ would get Miller out of there pretty quick, in my opinion.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2017

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Negrete gives no fucks about HBO's narratives

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Father time, remains undefeated.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Really good performance from Ali.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I remember watching a video of how Loma was able to basically use overly defensive fighters to position himself from side to side. Basically they keep their hands too high and he puts his glove up there to further shield their vision. From there he does basically whatever he wants footwork wise, and cannot really be hit in return.

I don't really see Rigo allowing him to block his view like that nor do I see him blocking off his own vision with a high guard. Will be interesting to see if Lomachenko can get away with the kind of lopsided output he normally does.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Pretty good main event on HBO tonight. Worth tracking down a replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hey, so I started volunteering for Big Brothers and my little bro likes boxing. I've never been like a regular watcher though I like just watching random old fights on youtube and stuff. Is there any online resource (free is great but cheap is fine) where I can just watch shitloads of reasonably current boxing? Any particular fighters I should learn about ASAP? I don't wanna be an impostor or anything but I'd like to not be clueless if he talks about it.

You can get a lot off youtube. Even within a few days of a fight there is usually a full fight posted. ESPN+ is going to carry a fair amount of content if you are in the US.