Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I enjoyed that read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Ninth Layer posted:

The argument against GGG is that he's never fought a pound-for-pound fighter before, so the most you can say about him is that he has dominated a weak division.

My argument against that is that he has called out every pound-for-pound fighter who competes anywhere near his weight, and they pretty much universally avoid him.

This "dominated a weak division" stuff is generally weak argument anyway which verges on circular logic. The division looks weak because of how easily GGG beats the poo poo out of them.

It's like saying that vintage Tyson wasn't that good because he was putting fighters down inside two rounds. It also reminds me of the times when similar things were said about Anderson Silva - "He's not great because his division is weak, and the evidence of the division being weak is that he's not that great and he easily beat them."

Yes, I love GGG. Why do you ask?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I'm not 100% admant that GGG must be #1 - the arguments for him, Ward, Lomachenko, and Cocolatito are all strong. I just think that the weak division one is circular logic, because in fight sports you're invincible until you're not. If he's getting the wins and smashing motherfuckers left and right, it's simply wrong to hold that against him.

For me it's a question of whether I value Ward's close Kovalev win with a bunch of uninspiring decisions more than GGG's gigantic heap of twitching bodies. There's a tendency to overrate the skill of "pure boxers" in these discussions, too, and to underrate guys who are perceived as punchers, possibly as a means of giving credit to fighters who are getting the wins but not in emphatic crowd pleasing fashion.

The way I see it GGG is getting the wins as well as Ward, he has been more active, he's also a hell of a technician (even if it's not "pure boxing") and he gets the finishes, even against durable opponents - so I give the edge to Big Drama Show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Monday Bandele posted:

The problem with p4p is that if you put too much weight on records you end up with a list full of +35 year olds.

That's why I try to weigh equally record (the wins and losses), results (fast finishes vs close decisions), performance (how do they look relative to the norms for that weight class), achievement (the names), and activity (which includes avoiding specific obvious opponents), with a greater weight toward the last two or three years.

I don't make spreadsheets or anything of course (though I could... hmm...) but this is what I roll around in my head when analysing about a fighter. Mayweather had good showings in all of these categories, though "results" would likely have been his lowest, and "activity" a bit behind that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Peterson had the better trunks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm like the only person who doesn't mind Broner

Anyway I have no clue who won that fight

Broner is annoying but I think he'll win the decision because a) hometown, and b) I hate him so I tend to overrate his opponent's successes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Lemieux knockout gives GGG some p4p points.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How long til the punchmen start punching?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Hello friends I really like MMA but would like to start watching boxing too but it seems very hard to get into as a sport compared to MMA. I've the GGG card from this weekend waiting for me at home but what fighters should I be getting familiar with? I've rewatched old Tyson fights (around the Berbick era) fairly constantly the last few years.

The pound for pound list in the thread's OP is a good place to start for who's who in current fighters. An updated version will put Ward and Lomachenko front and centre. This thread usually has a pretty good signal to noise ratio, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re: p4p discussion-

I now have Ward #1, and you may remember a month ago I was making an argument for GGG. GGG's general domination and cruel, decisive victories were the tiebreaker for me in his favour, but that mystique is gone, and Ward's win over Kovalev is now in my mind the most impressive thing in current boxing.

Ward just needs to get more active now.

Re: Boxing's resurgence-

I have only one person outside of this thread with whom I discuss boxing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is a fun fight. I was half watching it from across the room and only realized it was Lemeiux when I turned it up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chavez is fighting as if his daughter has been kidnapped and she'll die if he somehow manages to win the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Andre "Smacker of Groin" Ward

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Did it take you like, 3 days to think of that?

Three days of furious thought, a box of pencils, and four reams of loose leaf.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

big money big clit posted:

Owning restaurants has generally not been a great plan for ex athletes.

Or for current ones. Or for anyone else, for that matter. The only type of business with worse margin:risk is a bar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jose posted:

Paulie has dropped out as Mcgregor's sparring partner because his team put out a video of paulie being pushed down edited to look like he was knocked down lol

Wrong thread and that was like a week ago.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rasta_Al posted:

Chocalatito is done

:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

algebra testes posted:

Can someone talk me through the implications of that fight?

All time great lost in controversial style, then in rematch he's shot and gets destroyed?

Before Gonzales fought Sor the first time, he was something like 46-0 and by some people regarded as the best boxer in the world not named Floyd Mayweather. Most of his fights were crazy wars and brutal beatdowns at the same time.

Then this random Thai guy comes along and beats him in a close fight the first time, and in the second time KOs him, so yeah. Pretty much. He's shot and that's sad. What's extra sad about it is that he's a small guy from a poor country and he was good enough to start pushing into mainstream fame, but his body gave out on him before he could really enjoy it. The majority of his fights were in obscurity and for very little money. I think he fought on major HBO cards like 4-5 times at the end of his career (or what I really hope is the end of his career after how long he was down).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder if the May-Mac is somehow responsible for the parade of good bookings. Maybe freak show inspired shamed boxers and promoters to stop loving around and make the good fights so that the freak shows don't have a chance to steal the spotlight.

e. fixed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

He died as he fought - with a decision few people saw.

Nice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ward has a great legacy that will look better and better with age. He went into the Super Six a huge underdog in a stacked contest and came out of it as undisputed, undefeated champion at super middleweight. His win over Carl Froch in the tournament finals is a huge legacy win, he's arguably the only guy who beat the Cobra clearly and without controversy. Beating undefeated Chad Dawson was a great win at the time that has only lost its luster in hindsight because of how drastically Dawson's career cratered following that first loss. I still feel both Kovalev fights were competitive, but with distance taking the sting out of that bad second fight stoppage it's a lot easier to give Ward credit for pulling away against a tough opponent. He undoubtedly won the second fight and that will ultimately matter more than any lingering arguments over the first fight's decision.

See, I'll never suggest that I know more about pro boxing than you do, but there's no way I can agree with this. I'm a Kovalev fan, and I'm more willing to concede the decision in the first than the stoppage in the second. Every time I see a replay of that finish it looks worse and worse to me, and my feeling is that Ward only began to pull ahead when he realized that he could punch Kovalev in the dick without being penalized. Is it the reffing equivalent of 118-110 Canelo? Probably not. But that doesn't mean it was good reffing or a clean win.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

balancedbias posted:

So...has anybody mentioned that Kovalev's own trainer thought Ward would take him to school with body shots because Kovalev was getting too egocentric? I know the ending was bad, but it didn't seem out of nowhere.

That would be worth mentioning if the low blow at the ending had been the only low blows in the fight, which they weren't.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't think that there's any thread on PSP/RR in which people will get mad if you post a rad KO.

The worst I can imagine would be a "B-League thread is that way" kind of thing in the UFC thread, which would come right before the poster watches the gif 20x.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Hurd v Trout has been great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Care Bear Stairs posted:

That was a war, Trout had nothing left, his corner did the right thing

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

Excessive emptyquoting :mad:

Seriously though that was an unexpectedly great fight. Hurd is far from perfect but Trout wasn't going to hurt him and probably didn't have the legs to box him for 12 rounds.

:agreed:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

Holy gently caress

I was tempted to empty quote again because that's easier for me to do without sitting up, but I looked away for 1/4 second to read a post while the round was slow and then I missed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

such a strange angle of contact. None of the cameras even had a clean view of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lara is really good. And now I'm going to bed with two rounds remaining in the fight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

What kind of idiot would put Lara in the main event?

More like what kind of genius. If we had to sit through that fight between the other two, many of us would have missed either the crazy brawl or the scary KO because we would have turned it off or fallen asleep. As it is, we got the best fights and we were able to go do something else, satisfied that we had seen all of the content.

Always put your worst fight on last so that people can leave and beat traffic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ElGroucho posted:

Lemieux has the weirdest boxer's body out there right now

He looks like someone out of the 1890s

It's like he eats 4 pizzas poutines after weigh in and then has a little pot belly

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are many subjects about which it is possible to speak well without having first-hand experience.

If forced to choose between the two, I'd rather listen to an announcer who has been trained as an announcer and watched 5,000 fights and researched the sport but never trained as a fighter than a guy who has been punched in the head a whole bunch but never trained as an announcer. That the audience primarily does not speak or understand boxer jargon makes a non-boxer probably a better choice too. Of course the ideal is someone who is trained as an announcer who trains for fun and watches fights obsessively, which is why Joe Rogan has so much staying power with the UFC, despite his flaws.

The reason all of those HBO and Showtime guys are annoying is all of the cross-promotion poo poo. Their employer has a vested interest in which fighter wins.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MysteryNad posted:

What do you mean? Max Kellerman has a long and storied history of boxing fandom and knowledge to draw upon

https://streamable.com/hq6ev

Holy poo poo.

The best part is that it's well above median quality for combat sports musical projects.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quizzlefish posted:

I'm no connoisseur but I watched the last few Wilder fights and he just doesn't look like a professional boxer to me. His punches look like schoolyard garbage.

Again when people say Joshua is slow I also don't get it. He looks quite quick and light on his toes and can put in a pretty fast combination.

Buuut I'm British so maybe I'm just being a homer.

I think Wilder's straight rights are long and smooth and beautiful.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GGG won that fight and he'd be insane to give Canelo and Golden Boy another chance to steal a crooked decision.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2018/02/20/nieky-holzken-replaces-jurgen-brahmer-callum-smiths-world-boxing/

Replaced by Nieky Holzken lol. I don't know how to contextualise this for boxing, but Holzken was an unimpressive champion in a weight class that had no money in it for decades. I follow kickboxing religiously and I had no idea he was going to be on the undercard.

There was a short period when I was really impressed by Holzken. He had a streak of performances up to and including his first win vs Daniels that made me fall in love with his style, which at the time seemed to me like pressure boxing + surprise knees.

And then it all went south.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think the other thread tends to recommend Ringside IMF Tech gloves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well USADA/WADA finds the Chinese/Mexican beef excuse to be valid enough that they allow it as an excuse provided the athlete's clenbuterol levels are below a very very low threshold.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ocrassus posted:

Appreciate the advice thanks. Didn’t know there was a workout thread but, in my defence, I’m also curious about what the actual spectator opinion of clinching is like. Since it seems to draw such strong reactions from both sides?

E: also some vid recommendations outside of like.. a bullrushing Tyson, would be ideal if you know any since I’m looking for fights to learn from.

I think that boxers should be allowed to hold and hit, and that kidney punches should be allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Adonis Stevenson in critical condition in hospital

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/adonis-stevenson-quebec-city-1.4929317