Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
A more brutal combo you'll rarely see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
drat. Watch Saucedo v Hooker if you can.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The dudes arms are insanely long, your defense has to be flawless or you gotta knock the dude out quickly. Saucedo was almost there at first, with that knockdown, but once Hooker got the right distance on his mile-long cross and effectively managed to string together like 5 of them without leaning too forward and falling into a counter, it was done.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Ahkmidaleav is exciting

Edit: Zarate too drat tough for his own good

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 25, 2018

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Pascal is being way out classed. Just hang em up dude.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It's going to be a terrible fight and Wilder is going to win. Take it to the bank.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Why are any of us acting like this is going to be an actual good fight and not like 2 drunk cats slapping at each other.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Lol the fight is going to absolutely loving suck, wish I could take bets on it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Heavyweight division an absolute trash fire as always, what a loving awful fight.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

i think he just wants to be really mad at boxing and the participants in the fight for not being good enough for his discerning taste

This. Not an empty quote.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Dogboe got absolutely hosed up.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have no loving clue why anyone thinks the Wilder Fury fight was good other than the drama of 2 "top" guys fighting each other.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

i'm curious though what do you actually like about boxing?

If you think Wilder Fury is all boxing has to offer wooo boy.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

You are like an infant child that can only express dissatisfaction and frustration by crying

Just lol.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I wouldn't rule out anyone who can actually move and punch against any of this crop of heavyweights, except for huge height disparities. None of these big guys have showed great chin or ability to withstand sustained, well target assault. I don't know if Usyk is the one to do it, but I think the possibilities are way open.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

He’s right lol

I'm sorry me saying a thing is bad is a personal assault on you.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The only motherfuckers making this thread about my opinion is you loving babies lmao, I made 2 posts about it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

swimsuit posted:

ive just picked up the sport this year and have been training for just 6 months but still have no clue about the professional scene, are there any good sources you guys can recommend for me to educate myself?

To watch fights? YouTube and daily motion have a bunch. To get a grip on who's who I'd suggest just trawling the top 10 lists at boxrec.com, the most complete record of professional boxing there is.

There's a good site called AllTheBestFights.com that posts new fights as they happen and even gives a star rating for if it's really worth your time to watch. They gave Wilder Fury 4 stars lol but generally anything 3 or above is worth watching.

I'd say watch full fights instead of highlights and clip reels, boxing is very much about what happens in between the exciting bits as much as the action itself.

Anything in particular you want to know more about?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I don't know about relevance but Frampton v Warrington is prolly gonna be a scorcher m8 don't miss it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

willie_dee posted:

I always knew Amir Khan was a complete poo poo, but this kind of proves it.

https://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-if-brook-real-man-he-admit-hes-gay--134744

Was gonna post this. What a loving shithead. I hope he never fights again, glass jawed moron.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Lol if you're only watching one of the British cards.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 22, 2018

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Both fights were good but I was admittedly paying attention more to Warrington Frampton. Chisora and Whyte seemed like 2 huge waves crashing into each other, they both got good shots in on each other in between big body clashes. It seemed likely one would go through and really turn the tide of the fight, especially as both got really tired. That hook was pretty standard for what Whyte was throwing all night, it just landed clean and at the right moment and went from hard to hellacious. I was genuinely worried for quite a bit, even after they got Chisora up on his feet. Stevenson was also pulled up onto his feet and "standing" and that didn't mean poo poo. But he looks like he'll be fine.

Warrington Frampton wasn't quite the war we probably all expected but had lots of good action, some real points of absolutely insane exchanges. Warrington out worked Frampton pretty much all night, especially to the body when they were in the phone booth. Frampton had plenty of good moments, even potentially fight changing ones but Warrington was unphased. Good fight, Warrington definitely deserves his success.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What the gently caress

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
An amazing fight in Mexico just ended on a bullshit draw on Azteca and for comparison all the commentators are calling it a robbery, a farce, a disrespect to boxers putting their lives on the line, boxing is worth nothing if judges like this preside over the sport ect and Julio César Chávez was literally yelling at them that the judges were rats and pigs and what they did was crap.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
There will be an actual good card on New Year's Eve with Masayuki Ito, Ken Shiro and Takuma Inoue, try to check that out instead.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This is so loving stupid. This dumb, totally disappointing non fight will be on Dailymotion 15 minutes after airing and it will be bad you shouldn't watch it.

If you have ESPN+, the Ito fight will be on there, watch that instead.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone who thinks it's strange that a small dude would fall to getting punched by a dude who is 1.amongst the best boxers to ever fight and 2.almost 30 pounds heavier is seriously loving stupid.

The legs thing is that he was trying to save himself from falling using some kind of leg strength/spring back up type of reaction and failing miserably. What's so hard about this.

This "fight" was so loving stupid.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Y'all give the Yakuza way too much credit. This is just regular moneymaking business, they're way worse than the Yakuza.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
By that metric, we should return to the ref being one of the judges. He has the best seat in the house!

edit: yeah I'm not entirely convinced by her arguments. Yeah, we all know that some punches that look good didn't actually land and that the crowd cheers are things that aren't there, we're not dumb.

Also the TV camera angle is seriously really good. Half the camera operators are literally standing ringside next to a turn buckler, they're literally closer to the action than the judges are. Like kimbo said, 8/10 for TV angle is a great record.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 2, 2019

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think the real issue in most pretty bad decisions is that what you look for/count in a real close round is entirely subjective. A fight with a bunch of close rounds will always have a strange outcome.

For me, i think of judging like a volume dial, you start in the middle (5 lets say) which is dead even for both fighters. As a fighter does some work, you turn the knob towards them, as the other does work, you turn it back towards them. How much you turn the knob/how big of a jump you make depends on the type of work their doing. Huge hits, effective punches, good combos ect jerk the dial a whole bunch towards that fighters side. Nothing at all and the dial isnt turning. Effective ring bullying, combos that keep your opponent off you, pushing him back with punches or just shutting down his offensive gets you a slow steady turn towards that fighter.

In good close rounds, you may end up with a person who you think won, in a close round where both guys are doing more or less the same things to each other, its like net zero gain for either fighter and those rounds are REALLLY hard to score. Its time like that that you'd use the mythical 10-10 round but literally no one ever does that so thats why you get lovely judging on those rounds cause someone HAS to win.

Like the judge who thought Lara beat Hurd, and not just by one or two, but by like 3 or 4 rounds. There were alot of rounds were Hurd was super inactive and not doing much, but neither was Lara. Then Hurd would shut down Lara's attempts with some good movement or some offensive arm punching to push him back. Did he ignore all that or just not think that was worthy?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Khan is an absolute scrub and trash person. He has absolutely zero business fighting a p4p top guy like Crawford. Against Vargas he looked like some middling club fighter, and Vargas could have laid him out if he had like 10% more talent. Khan should fight Kell and retire and thank his lucky stars he was ever given the opportunity to make all this money from this sport cause a bunch of stupid British bacon men remembered him from his career highlights which were all in the early 2010s.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah buddy don't you know? All we care about is what are "good fights for his career" and "a smart move" and "lucrative deal for the promoters" and "bound to draw in big numbers" we don't actually care about compelling match ups between fighters who can maybe both beat each other and are trying to prove they're the best against good competition. Its actually cool that fights are only ever put together to dupe to the most people who don't know anything about boxing and only know 2 or 3 big names out of the most money.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Who tf buys ppvs Jesus Christ

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Get back to me on ppv when me and all the other goons can each pay $10 to access a private stream with chat.

we can do that easy for the next fight with rabbit.tv. also for free