Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I think p4p is kind of dumb in general but you definitely put a lot of effort into putting together the list and op so I just wanted to applaud you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

That fight was awesome

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I think Thurman will win in a fairly easy fashion, and the fight will be less competitive than the Porter win. Danny is a good counter puncher, but his feet are slow and I think he will have problems with thurmans power and athleticism. I also think that Danny lost to Herrera and arguably lost to lamont Peterson (and would have definitely lost if the fight had been in the 15-round era). I think Thurman will give Danny the same kind of problems that Peterson did except with a ton more power.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Lionel Richie posted:

Canelo being lineal middleweight champion is all Sergio Martinez's fault for not taking his beating off Golovkin like a man and fighting Cotto instead, which also started this trend of middleweight champions who don't actually want to be middleweights

I would argue that it goes back to Martin Murray getting robbed in his fight vs Sergio

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I wouldn't count on a ward kovalev rematch

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Any good podcasts for a casual fan who's looking to learn more and stay up to date with ongoings? Or just your favorite boxing podcasts

Tha Boxing Voice

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'll give ward credit, I never thought he would actually agree to a rematch.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

That was incredible

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

The difference is that Jacobs is 6'1 and canelo is like 5'7.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

i don't really get what people don't like about kellerman

They are dumb. Kellerman is the best part of the hbo broadcasts.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

If the fight is at 130 I don't see Rigo faring well. Has he ever even fought above 122?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Salido was just a dirty experienced fighter and lomachenko wasn't ready for it. I and a lot of people still think he won the fight anyways and it's safe to say that he would destroy salido in a rematch.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm still on the Daniel Jacobs is really good and pointing to that fight as evidence of ggg falling off is misguided train. But with that said, it isn't crazy to think that a fighter has lost a step at 35. In any event, ggg will probably have to stop canelo to win because of all the bullshit judging in canelos fights.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was worried about whether this would be a "big" enough fight or whether it would be eclipsed by Mayweather-McGregor, so I'm pleasantly surprised by how much casual interest I've run into for this one. Almost everyone I talked to has GGG winning, even the Hispanic guys are pulling for Golovkin. Branding himself as a "Mexican Style" fighter and coming out to the west coast has won him a ton of fans here. At Lomachenko's event I saw a ton of people wearing the "Mexicans for Golovkin" shirt too. I don't even think it's that people are against Canelo, there's just something about Golovkin as a fighter that is getting people supporting him.

Canelo is obviously very popular with mexicans, but he is also extremely divisive and there is a large contingent who hate him.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

For reasons outside of boxing?

Part of it is a generational divide, with the JCC generation having some resentment towards canelo as a result of him being "anointed" at a young age.

I'm sure many of you have heard criticism of GGG based upon HBO really pushing him, like he was a created star rather than earning it. Canelo is actually in the same situation.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

For some reason I remember reading about the IBF recently getting rid of the same day weigh in rule, but I can't find any confirmation of that now so maybe I just imagined it.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Wilder Ortiz is off because Ortiz got popped. Who could have seen that one coming

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I was pretty surprised at Crawford being fighter of the year. He only fought twice and they weren’t really notable. I probably would lean towards lomachenko as well.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

So you think it’s more likely to be fixed for canelo if it’s on may fifth??

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Ggg can fight a dude off the street and I’ll go watch it at the stubhub. This is the best thing that could have happened from a lovely situation.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I would love a ggg Andrade fight but yeah that’s not happening on short notice. I’m only replying though because you made me chuckle when you called him young

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Technically it’s for not facing his mandatory, but in general the ibf is retarded as gently caress when it comes to stripping dudes. Fury was stripped of the ibf belt because he was going to comply with a mandatory rematch with klitschko.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Adames was not impressive

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Garcia and Thurman will avoid Spence, but porter will immediately take that fight. You can’t include him with the others

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Charles Martin fuckin sucks what are you guys going on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah no doubt the fight will be really bad until the one glorious moment where Wilder catches fury.