Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Andre Ward P4P #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So Ward's been talking about fighting at cruiserweight or even heavyweight. What do you think his odds are there?

Virgil has even suggested Ward could be Anthony Joshua, which, lol

I'm sure Ward could hang at cruiser, despite his actual physical attributes being pretty average. Not really sure why he would want to go up there though, considering that even though cruiser is as deep as it's ever been, it's still primarily a European weight division, and all the top guys are going to be tied up in the World Boxing Super Series tournament for the next 2 years.

175 has the Adonis Stevenson fight, which is still a big fight, the winner of Joe Smith Jr/Sullivan Barrera, the winner of Marcus Brown/Sean Monaghan, plus Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Artur Beterviev (these last 2 guys have about the North American name recognition of any top cruiserweight right now), and a few other up and coming undefeated Eastern European types.

I'd rather see Ward take a few more fights at 175 and then fight the winner of the Cruiserweight World Boxing Super Series Tournament. Assuming Ward stays relevant over the next 2 years, that could be a huge fight in 2019 or 2020.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 27, 2017

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of ESPN fights:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/30/15898278/lomachenko-marriaga-crawford-indongo-set-for-espn-in-august

Vasyl Lomachenko has an ESPN show for August 5th in what looks to be a showcase / stay busy fight. Also he's fighting within literal walking distance of my house so I'm definitely gonna go see it.

And Terence Crawford will actually be fighting Julius Indongo, also on ESPN on August 19th. Both fighters are undefeated and between them they have all 4 major world titles at 140 lb, making this a true unification fight where the winner can call himself the undisputed champ at light welterweight.

Crawford/Indongo is the best fight that can be made at 140. That should be a great fight to showcase Crawford on free TV, unless Crawford wins a very boring decision or something.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The World Boxing Super Series is starting to fill out its rosters for its 200 and 168 pound single elimination tournaments.

On the Cruiserweight side, they are looking to have all 4 major titlists in Usyk, Gassiev, Breidis, and Dorticos. Plus former titlists Huck and Wlodarczyk have signed on, and Glowacki and Kudryashov are expected to fill out the 8 spot tournament. This is a fantastic lineup that will produce a more-or-less undisputed Cruiserweight champion with all 4 belts. Denis Lebedev (who owns part of the WBA title) looks to be the odd man out here, but at 38 years old, I don't think it's a huge loss for him to not be in the tournament.

The Super Middleweight side is much less inspiring so far: Titlist George Groves, prospects Erik Skoglund and Jamie Cox, and almost 39 year old former titlist Juergen Braehmer. Hopefully guys like Gilberto Ramirez, James DeGale, and Badou Jack join, otherwise this will be a pretty flimsy tournament.

On July 8th, all the fighters and the fights will be announced. The first round of fights happen this September and October.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

168 has to be he weakest division in boxing right now. Other than the DeGale-Groves rematch (which will probably happen anyway) there's really nothing to glean from a tournament in terms of building someone to get excited about.

Gilberto Ramirez is worth building up.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's too bad the best 168 pounder isn't participating (Zurdo, apparently he's fighting the undefeated Jesse Hart in September), but it ended up being a pretty solid tournament nonetheless. It also would have been nice to see James DeGale in the tournament but it sounds like he's still pretty busted up from the Jack fight (suffered several injuries during it) and he's been talking about only having a few fights left before retiring, so sounds like he really just wasn't up for running a gauntlet of top Super-middleweights. He's also been ordered to fight Andre Dirrell when he returns, so watch for that.

I'm actually psyched for the Cruiserweight tournament. There's only been a handful of relevant Cruiserweight fights in the division's history (Holyfield-Qawi, Toney-Jirov, maybe Haye's last fights against Mormeck and Enzo Mac), and now we get an entire tournament with all of the best fighters in the division save an old Denis Lebedev. The winner of the tournament should provide Andre Ward with a very intriguing reason to move up to Cruiserweight in a couple of years. Or maybe the winner moves up to try his luck at heavyweight.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Hopefully Eubank gets sparked by that Turkish dude but because the everything sucks he's probably going to the win the WBSS and like somehow beat Andre Ward afterwards(which I guess wouldn't be the worst).

The 168 tournament is interesting in that there is no clear betting favourite. Eubank could definitely win. The other betting favourites are George Groves, who vulnerable, and Callum Smith, who's totally untested.

I don't think he's really all that good though.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Apparently a Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz fight is in talks for November 4th. While that would be a great fight, I can't see how it actually happens. Bermane Stiverne is (inexplicably) Wilder's mandatory, and he's already challenging this fight. Plus Ortiz is the highest risk/lowest reward fight in the division. Not exactly Wilder's MO.

If it does happen I think Ortiz probably knocks Wilder out.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

thehappyprince posted:

garcia's really good.

Garcia was appearing on pound for pound lists before his career hiatus, and he's still only 29. He's probably still at that level.

I don't know if Terence Crawford (assuming he beats Indongo) vs Mikey Garcia can be made, but it's the only fight that really matters at 140. Hopefully it can be made.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Wlad will be cracking top ten lists for a while just for how long he stayed at the top. But yeah his competition wasn't always the best and imo he lacks a really career defining fight or win that would keep people talking about him.

Considering how many title defences and years at the top he had, I think it's impossible to keep him out of the top 10. He's almost certainly better than guys like Evander Holyfield and Joe Frazier, who typically round out the top 10:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Lennox Lewis
4. George Foreman
5. Larry Holmes
6. Jack Johnson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Rocky Marciano
9. Wladimir Klitschko

Or something like that. I'd also be tempted to put Vitali at 10, as everyone else on the top 10 list defined their era of the division, and Vitali ruled the division in tandem with Wladimir, and was most likely the better fighter of the two as well.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Still B.A.E posted:

I was going to ask who you guys thought would go down in history as 'the better Klitschko'. Like, Wlad is probably the bigger name, but Vitali had an incredible chin and most people seemed to think he'd handily win a fight between the two.

Vitali was easily the better actual fighter but these types of lists tend to be about legacy and Vitali retired for years in the middle of his career and didn't fight nearly as much as Wlad did, who was the undisputed heavyweight champ for around a decade.

In a "who beats who" list, I'd have Vitali top 3 and Wlad would barely be in the top 10.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

thehappyprince posted:

loma vs rigo could be happening. please, god if you're out there..

Sounds like he's either going to fight Rigo or Salido at the end of the year, which would be great. Hopefully he ends up fighting both. Him and Rigo are arguably the two best pound for pound boxers on the planet (as well as maybe the two best amateurs ever), and it would be nice to see Lomachenko avenge his defeat to Salido, which he easily would in a rematch.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Danny Jacobs is a great fighter and an absolutely massive middleweight. Kell Brook is also an elite fighter. You can't say GGG has lost a step because they hit him a few times.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

willie_dee posted:

Why are we not doing Joshua Vs Wilder?

Joshua has to fight Kubrat Pulev, his mandatory, first. Which he is doing this month. Supposedly Joshua vs. Wilder will be made in 2018.

Wilder was supposed to fight Luis Ortiz, but it doesn't look like that is happening anymore with Ortiz' failed drug test. With Ortiz out of the picture, I imagine Wilder will have to fight Bermane Stiverne again instead.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

This may be better suited as a pm but I'll post since it may lead to discussion.

Demetrius Andrade is returning on the 21st as the cofeature to Jezreel Corrales. He's officially moving to 160 as well so, if they both win, do you (mostly @ Cigar Aficionado but whoever) rate him as someone who could challenge Danny Jacobs since it seems that what HBO is trying to build up to now that both are signed to multi fight deals on the network

EDIT: In non one on one posting Showtime Sports just uploaded the full Joshua-Klitschko fight to their youtube channel. Joshua-Wilder confirmed ????????? I know it's because they are airing the Pulev fight on the 28th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hq09rPv3hs

I always considered Andrade to be the only guy from 140-154 who could beat Floyd Mayweather Jr in the last few years of his career. He was massive at 154, and even at 160; standing 6'1 with a 74" reach. He's also an Amateur World Championship gold medallist, and is physically gifted and technically sound as well, so he's just about the total package.

Unfortunately, his career has been badly mishandled, and he's only fought 4 times in the last 4 years. I didn't think he was at all impressive against the limited Jack Culcay in March, so I'll have to at least see an impressive performance in his next fight before I'd be comfortable tapping him over Jacobs. I still think his theoretical ceiling is higher than anyone at 160, and that includes Canelo and a 36 year old Golovkin, but he's barely fought in the last few years and he's now moving up to a new weight class. He's gone from a pure elite blue chip prospect to a bit of an enigma in my book.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
And that stoppage in the Eubank Jr/Yildirim fight was too fast, Yildirim was trying to get up, but I don't think it would have mattered. He got absolutely smoked and even if he got up, Eubank would have finished him in that round.

Not sure the fight says much though. Eubank looked great of course but Yildirim was custom made for him and was also exposed as not an elite level fighter.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It's preposterous that Miguel Cotto is going to go out fighting Yoshihiro Kamegai and Sadam Ali. They're both totally anonymous. I don't really believe this will be his last fight.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 12, 2017

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Saw an article on BadLeftHook about Mayweather hinting at yet another comeback. I've always taken Floyd's "retirement" with a grain of salt, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him return, but regardless of whether he sticks to retirement or not, just be mentally prepared to see more articles like this for the next ten years or so.

Floyd is almost 41 and looked absolutely terrible against McGregor. Unless he's training for a rematch with McGregor, I can't imagine he comes back. Any of the top guys at 147 or 154 beats him at this point in his career, and none of them have a big enough name to really warrant Floyd coming back for them.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean I'm obviously being harsh on Lemieux, who I love dearly. He's improved a lot since his first losses and Saunders has arguably gotten worse over the last year, but I just find it a little weird that people are acting like Saunders getting KOed is a foregone conclusion. It's true that Saunders is not as good as GGG, but I don't have reason to believe Lemieux is that much better than Eubank or Lee. Saunders is a good boxer and Lemmy has been troubled by boxing before.

I like this fight precisely because it's a pretty even match up imo, assuming they both make weight and show up in their best forms.

I think Saunders would be the betting favourite though.

I love Lemieux but he's a perfectly one dimensional fighter. Saunders isn't great but he does a lot of things well and he's technically superior to Lemieux, who's losses to Joachim Alcine and Marco Rubio show that he's not and never will be a truly elite guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect Saunders to win a boring decision here.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

One fun thing about Saunders-Lemieux will be seeing both fighters gas out after 6 rounds.

It's almost certainly going to be a lovely fight unless Lemieux sparks him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gassiev just flattened a dude in the WBSS, the semis for cruiserweight are now Gassiev-Dorticos and Usyk-Briedis

Great semi finals. Gassiev/Dorticos especially is a true pick 'em. Usyk should get a decent test from Briedis but he should ultimately win a UD.

Also, Max Kellerman is great.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Terence Crawford is officially moving up to 147. It's the right move, 140 is cleaned out and 147 is talent rich with some name opposition to take on.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I'm not sure if the fight was fixed, or Stiverne was just looking for a paycheck, but that was a joke.

I imagine Whyte or Breazeale are next for Wilder, both of whom could beat Wilder. I'm hoping he doesn't get derailed before a fight with Joshua, but it could absolutely happen. Wilder is still basically the same awkward, flawed beanpole he was 20 fights ago.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lol if you really think whyte or even breazeale could beat Wilder.

Dude has his flaws, but he's very good and I feel like he fights to his opposition level.

He was arguably losing to Gerald Washington before he stopped him, and he's been dropped by literal club fighters like Dustin Nichols and Harold Sconiers. He'd be the favourite over anyone in the division outside of Joshua, but he could absolutely lose to some inferior dude before he gets to a Joshua fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
If anyone could PM me a way to watch the HBO card it would be appreciated.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jarrell Miller looked incredibly ordinary. He doesn't have anything for the elite of the division.

Danny Jacobs looked pretty good against an undefeated, crafty, but ultimately limited guy. He should easily beat the winner of the Saunders/Lemieux fight. I'd like to see Jacobs against Jermall Charlo or Demetrius Andrade.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
2018 is really shaping up nicely. We could get Golovkin-Canelo 2 (signed), Usyk-Gassiev (signed), Joshua-Wilder (rumoured), Lomachenko-Pacquiao (rumoured), and potentially even Thurman-Spence. Those are 5 of the biggest fights that can be made in boxing. Plus, we should see a unified super middleweight champ with talks of Gilberto Ramirez fighting the WBSS 168 lb winner, very interesting 154 and 175 lb divisions, Terence Crawford's new campaign at welterweight, and Tyson Fury and Andre Ward potentially returning. There's a lot to look forward to.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 12, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Despite his latest TKO wins, Sergei Kovalev looks finished to me at the elite level. He's consistently looked gassed early in fights since the Chilemba fight, he looks even slower and more hittable than usual, and he's almost 35 and I'm sure the drinking and smoking did him no favours. He did not sound confident in the post Mikhalkin fight interview either, and seemed to feud with his new trainer during the fight as well.

He loses his next big fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Lomachenko/Linares is set for May 12th :) (at lightweight)

I think Vasyl is going to take his soul, but it's still cool to see him fighting legit championship competition.

Lomachenko is moving up a division to immediately fight the best fighter in the division. Very awesome.

I don't think anyone below 147 touches Loma besides maybe Mikey Garcia, who's talking about moving up to 147 already. Hopefully Loma can get a Garcia fight before Mikey moves up yet again, as that's really the only major fight for him out there, besides him getting to execute a washed Manny Pacquiao.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lennox Lewis is correct, the WBO was a fringe belt, ala the IBO today, during the 1990s. It was only first held by a heavyweight in 1989 (by some Italian nobody), and then was held by the likes of Tommy Morrison, Michael Bentt, Herbie Hide, and Henry Akinwande during the 90s; fringe contenders all. It was only legitimized because Wladimir held it throughout the 2000s - after Lewis unified with Holyfield in '99.

Isn't Mauro Ranallo more of a WWE and MMA guy? What does he know about boxing?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Despite his latest TKO wins, Sergei Kovalev looks finished to me at the elite level. He's consistently looked gassed early in fights since the Chilemba fight, he looks even slower and more hittable than usual, and he's almost 35 and I'm sure the drinking and smoking did him no favours. He did not sound confident in the post Mikhalkin fight interview either, and seemed to feud with his new trainer during the fight as well.

He loses his next big fight.

Kovalev has signed to fight Marcus Browne next, an undefeated American Olympian, likely on June 23rd. Browne is mostly unproven, so it's not a big fight per se, but Kovalev could definitely lose this one if Browne is legit. Browne's 8 years younger than Kovalev and in his prime at 27, and is faster, longer, fresher, and on the up. Browne passed up a mandatory title fight with Artur Beterbiev for this, so he didn't have to fight Kovalev for a title shot, but he took it, assumably because Browne likes his chances. Will be a fight to watch.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Snowman_McK posted:

I can assure you that Ranallo is loving terrible on MMA as well.

Despite Showtime putting on better fights than HBO lately, their announcing crew remains decidedly second rate to HBO's.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So uh Canelo is "temporarily suspended" after failing two tests for clenbuterol, has to interview with the Nevada commission on April 10th, and the fight could potentially (however unlikely) be cancelled outright.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/22889219/canelo-alvarez-temporarily-suspended-nevada-state-athletic-commission

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Lionel Richie posted:

One of Joshua or Wilder is going to do something stupid and get themselves KO'd against some shithouse and ruin that fight for good aren't they

Despite how lacklustre Joshua looked against Parker (a talented, legit top 5 heavyweight), I can't see him losing to anyone who's not named Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury (assuming Fury is in shape physically and mentally and has had a tune-up or two). He's too big and too good.

Wilder could easily lose to a few guys out there, however. I think a Dillian Whyte fight is pretty dangerous for him. One day he's not going to be able to bail himself out with one shot. Hopefully he gets to a Joshua fight before that happens.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Also can someone tell David Price he needs to retire already? Yeesh. Povetkin did not look amazing either, though. Joshua would take him out, but it sounds like they'll try to make a Povetkin/Whyte fight if Whyte can't secure Wilder.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Two past their best boxer/punchers and natural 140 pounders. Should be fun.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Roach probably told Manny to retire or at least think about it, and I guess Manny didn't take kindly to that. Roach did basically say flat-out in public that he thought Terence Crawford would beat him, I don't doubt he was even more honest behind the scenes.

But it's an easy call. Manny is 39 years old and has had 68 pro fights over a 23+ year career. He should have retired already, but apparently he's broke so he's going to be heading into Roy Jones, getting knocked out for cash, territory very soon.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jermell Charlo (the 154 pound twin) is fighting Austin Trout on June 9th. Trout is a solid pro, but has settled in to more of a gatekeeper type of fighter at 154 pounds, and Charlo should have limited trouble in winning the fight. Assuming he gets past Trout, a fight with Jarrett Hurd would be one of the top 5 fights in boxing to make significance wise; a unification bout involving 3 of the major belts between the top two junior middleweights in the sport. Hopefully it happens before the end of the year.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
O'Sullivan declined the fight anyway. At this point, the May 5th date is in jeopardy. Better to push it out and fight Saunders, if they can make that happen.

Ideally GGG would have fought Andrade on May 5th but no chance he's taking on a long slick young blue chip guy on short notice.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
drat he's already 30? He's frittered away most of his career, and only fought 5 times in the last 4 years. Tragic.