Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mach 30 posted:

What things are not heavily advertised that are worth seeing? Is there public transport we can take or should we count on taxis? Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Museums are cool as hell. Go do that. Whatever floats your boat.
The U-street corridor is a good night out. There's a TON of venues and food. Georgetown is fun *dodges rocks thrown by DC natives* -ish. There's a lot of stuff there but there's no good way to get there or get around.
I don't know what kinda of food you're into, but we've got it. Unfortunately all the good dim sum and soup dumplings is out in Rockville.

If you're looking for off the radar, H-street corridor is about as far from 'tourist trap' as you can get. Hit up Little Miss Whiskeys and prepare to be mocked. Toki Underground is phenomenal. H-street country club is lame, but go anyway because they have games that might keep you entertained, and Maketto is nearby.

Things that aren't museums or food? You're likely to stumble upon some fun stuff along H-street but this article gives some interesting suggestions: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/washington-dc/travel-tips-and-articles/offbeat-dc-20-unusual-things-to-do-in-washington-dc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LuiCypher posted:

But now there's the streetcar on H Street! :downsgun:

If you have time, I'd crawl on up to 3 Stars Brewery on a Saturday. It is a bit of a schlep if you're just relying on Metro, though. The beers are pretty good, they have a decent variety of them, and they have a decent food truck parked outside that serves good bratwurst.

Other places that are cool and good to go to include the Library of Congress. With regards to jazz, my wife and I go to Twins Jazz on U Street when we want a nice date night. They have some decent acts passing through, and the food is pretty OK Ethiopian food.

Which reminds me - DC has really, really good Ethiopian food thanks to having a very active base of Ethiopian expats. If you're feeling adventurous regarding food, it's definitely worth trying.

If you must go to a place with a decent beer selection, Churchkey on 14th Street is a solid bet.

unf I love Churchkey.

• Locked thread