Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mach 30 posted:

My wife and I will be visiting Washington DC this summer and want to make the most of it! We are staying at the Fairfax at Embassy Row, so we're fairly close to the National Mall. What do you recommend? There's all sorts of tours for sale for varying amounts of money and I don't want to get bent over in tourist traps. What things are not heavily advertised that are worth seeing? Is there public transport we can take or should we count on taxis? Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Go to a protest!

Just kidding, unless that's your thing.

Anyway, you could spend a whole week exploring the Smithsonian Museums and monuments all along the mall.

If you are into parks, Rock Creek Park is great for a stroll if it's not too hot. And there is some good history there too!
https://www.nps.gov/rocr/index.htm

Looking for nightlife? Dupont is where the "club scene" is at. Avoid Adams Morgan unless you like partying with drunk 20-somethings. U street is amazing if you like music clubs, check out Black Cat and U street music hall. Also if you are on U street go to Ben's Chili Bowl. I personally think the food there is average, but it's a DC staple rich in history so it's worth checking out if you are in the area.

If you have an abundance of time. Head to Virginia! You can get a shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy museum and see some really awesome planes. If you are renting a car, head to Annandale for some good Korean Food. Eden Center is one of the largest collection of Vietnamese shops and restaurants on the east coast:
http://edencenter.com/

I'll post more as I think of them. I've lived in the DC area for 16 years now,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

kedo posted:

I feel like you haven't been part of the "club scene" in DC for awhile. :) I haven't heard of anyone going clubbing in Dupont since the early 2000s. Granted clubbing in DC is terrible, so this is not a bad thing.

I mean I am 33 so...perhaps I am showing my age a bit as I don't get into DC all that often anymore :(

That said if you are in Dupont Big Hunt is a nice dive bar with good happy hours. I personally really enjoy Kramerbooks & Afterwords cafe. It's a hipster bookstore next to a cafe that serves delicious cake and pie with wine, and often has live music. I've heard some people think its over-priced. To which I say, It's in DC so yea of course it is, but still worth checking out.

I also really, really want to recommend H street to the OP. I've only been there twice, but had a fantastic experience both times(Dangerous Delicious Pies is worth a journey itself, I think another Goon mentioned Toki) however H street is a bit of hike if you are reliant on metro.

• Locked thread