Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Mach 30 posted:

My wife and I will be visiting Washington DC this summer and want to make the most of it! We are staying at the Fairfax at Embassy Row, so we're fairly close to the National Mall. What do you recommend? There's all sorts of tours for sale for varying amounts of money and I don't want to get bent over in tourist traps. What things are not heavily advertised that are worth seeing? Is there public transport we can take or should we count on taxis? Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks for any and all recommendations!

How long are you going to be in DC? What are your interests? Public transport is widely available, pick up a SmarTrip card at any metro station, also works on buses. There is no entrance fee for museums along the mall and places like Arlington National Cemetery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
For your interest in history, if you want to get out of town for a half day, I would suggest taking a trip to old town Alexandria then touring the estate at Mount Vernon, home of ya boy George Washington. You can take yellow or blue line metro to King Street to get to Alexandria. If you go by road from Alexandria to Mount Vernon (you can also take a water taxi), you can stop by the site of PO Box 1142, an old timey Spanish American War fort and WW II interrogation camp.

• Locked thread