Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

UltraRed posted:

That's suburbia, not rural. You can even see the housing divisions in the background.

This is closer to what Rural America looks like

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...9!4d-79.8073205

edit-this is still only about 20 minutes outside of a city. However, that is the standard, if you go more than ten minutes outside of a city you'll see stuff like this.....or even more sparse. Also, this is decently off rural. Poor rural is a whole other meth-infested bag.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

System Metternich posted:

You're taking the piss

In case you aren't: Jesus, just how empty is your area? :stare:

Nah, that sounds right, the US has a LOT of just open nothingness and farmland.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Louisiana is the only place where you're guaranteed to encounter people speaking a dialect that's completely incomprehensible in most of the country. That area (New Orleans especially) was heavily settled by the French or colonists descended from French-speaking colonies, which has a resulted in a number of people speaking in a downright foreign dialect. Some areas of Appalachia will have thick accents and mealy-mouthed speakers that are difficult to understand, but Louisiana Creole is a mixture of several languages.

There's also Cajun English, which has its own colloquialisms wrapped up in an unusual accent.

Nah, just go out into the country here in NC, you've got people here whose accents are so ridiculously thick that unless you grew up in the area you will have literally no clue what they are saying. Think Boomhauer crossed with Slingblade and you have yourself a good idea. I've lived my entire life in this State, but since I'm a city boy when I meet these people I just kind of have to smile and derive from context clues of the people around me whether I should laugh, smile, look concerned or any other emote because I sure as gently caress wont be able to have a conversation.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Louisiana Cajuns and Creoles beat them because it's one of the few cases where English goes straight into an alternate dialect instead of just a thick accent and some different slang. Some Creoles speak a completely different language altogether despite being many generations born and raised in the United States!

No disagreement that it is far more exaggerated in Louisiana, I'm just trying to point out that Louisiana is not the only place where you will encounter people whose accent is completely indecipherable to non-natives of that region.

• Locked thread