Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Los Angeles, CA

Grandmother of Five posted:

How is the political climate currently in the state and city that you live in?

LA and environs has a population that is slowly getting angrily woke while the actual power positions are held by corporate shitheels. Anything progressive that happens down here is caused by statewide mandates or mass movements forcing our politicos' hands.

quote:

What kind of food culture does your local area have? if you're into cooking, or simply know of some local delicacy, please share a specific dish, with a recipe if you have one, of something that you enjoy making or buying yourself that would be representative of your local food culture.
Been working 60 hour weeks recently, so I live on cheap burgers. Given a choice, my favorite things to cook/eat are lasagne (my own recipe, nowhere near authentic but p. tasty), Indian food, and ramen (the kind you get at restaurants, not the lovely diy squares). I eat Mexican food a lot too, but I'm not very good at cooking it.

quote:

Sharing what you work with or study for, or if you have any specialized knowledge, would imo also be interesting, because it would allow follow-up questions for specific fields, like, imo someone working with law or healthcare would probably have interesting insights on those areas.
I'm an A/V technician/self-taught audio engineer; I've worked in theatre, film, and A/V for my entire (still short) career. The weirdest thing about it that I've noticed is that the trade slang is divided both by region and industry.

quote:

If you belong to a minority group, do you experience harassment? If you do and you are willing to share personal anecdotes, and thoughts about how your state or city might differ from other areas in the US, then please do.
Not a minority, but many of my relatives Latino (Mexico and Venezuela, primarily) and they get hosed with by the cops waaaay more than I do. I think the Venezualans catch less hell because they're paler.

quote:

How familiar are you with other US states than the one you live in? Like, how many different ones have you lived in, or visited for a shorter or longer period of time. Are some states essentially as foreign to you, or even more, than some foreign countries might be? Do you feel as if there is animosity between your home state and other states?
I've lived in Idaho while I went to school. The people were OK, the weather was hell, the politics were godawful. Mormons out the rear end, and most of the older people will ask which church you go to while you're introducing yourself. When the answer is "I don't" they look at you like you have two heads and many will immediately try to rack up a win for God by inviting you to their church.

quote:

If someone was to visit the US for the first time, or your state or city in particular, what sights would you recommend?

Wait a couple years; the exchange rate may be a lot better for you by 2018.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Also he was trying to say "hi" to people walking down the street.

I think this is a thing in low-population states. People did this to me when I lived in Idaho and it took me a long time to figure out that they weren't looking to beg from me, rob me, or sell me something.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's not really a distinct word for "a group of five or six houses and a store of some sort" in American English. Some parts of America are so thinly populated that that counts as a town. My parents retired to a rural area where the local "city" has a population of about 25,000.

When I lived in Idaho, I couldn't help but think of Boise as a town, because it was so dang small and sparsely populated.

Los Angeles, New York? Yeah, those are cities.

• Locked thread