Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

The shoe thing...I grew up in the midwestern USA in a family that left our shoes on in the house during the day, but eventually at night we'd take them off....but I don't know why we did it. My mom would bitch at my dad for tracking mud into the house, but we'd all wear our shoes anyway?

But at my aunt's house you took your shoes off. Grandma's they were also off. Dad's side of the family, they were on. Some of our friends you took them off, some of them you kept them on. THERE WAS NO RHYME OR REASON. Maybe I was too young to realize who had nice carpets and who didn't (we didn't)

Then I moved to Canada and everyone took their shoes off, so I got used to that and preferred it. It has been a struggle to get my parents to take their drat shoes off in my apartment, but they usually do.

Anyway I don't know why or how it happens but it appears to entirely depend on the household in the USA. It wasn't even consistent within my own family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

In a big city there are just too many people to make eye contact with or smile and nod, you'd be doing it ALL the time and it would be exhausting. You really don't have much privacy in a city so people seem to naturally create this bubble around themselves when walking down the street or on transit as a defense mechanism.

• Locked thread