Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really love hearing about regional differences, but especially from people who experienced them as outsiders, so if anyone moved to or from America (or even moved to a different part of America) I would love to hear about the things you noticed that were different, things that you had no warning of and just assumed that what you grew up with was the same everywhere. Even just little things like what words mean (eg. grill/broiler) are interesting, but bigger stuff would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Scudworth posted:

I've spent many months in America staying at friends houses all over the map, getting more of a feel for day to day stuff than a usual tourist does, and I will tell you the #1 craziest poo poo about the USA -

They wear shoes indoors.
In houses.
That's interesting, because wearing shoes in houses is also the norm in Australia (or at least in Victoria, I can't speak for the whole country). Like you say of America, there are some people who'll ask you to take your shoes off when you visit, but it's pretty rare. I wonder what a map of the world colour coded by shoes-in-the-house or not would look like?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

e: As a US citizen who lives here now but grew up elsewhere, one of the weirdest things about America is the tendency for people to describe banal stuff like "the peaceful transfer of power" and "social mobility is not 100% absent" as if they were particularly American things
I'm pretty sure every country is like that. Not always the same thing, but it'll be something that's far from unique that is held up as being particularly of that country.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

OP the actual greatest thing about being american is the ubiquity of garbage disposals in sinks, those things own

Having never seen one of those in real life, they seem like a really weird idea to me. I'm assuming that they don't actually work like in movies/TV and turn your sink into a deathtrap, but what are they for? What are you putting down your sink that needs to be mulched?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

in Australia it's just Liberal and Labour and that's it. They do what you'd think they do, Liberal is smart people with degrees pushing for more private ownership and Labour is government handouts and strikes and basically lower-class rubbish, you can probably guess which side I am on)
Are you the Australian version of Jastiger?

Also, given the current makeup of federal parliament, it's pretty misleading to say that it's "just Liberal and Labor and that's it". Also, to Americans, "liberal" generally means social liberalism, whereas in Australia it usually means economic liberalism, so there's often some confusion there (especially when people assume that different countries have basically the same political parties under different names, eg. Democrats=Labor, Republicans=Liberal, which really isn't true).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Is your reference American? I am not American. See, assuming someone is going to know what you're talking about because it's AMERICAN and what else is there? is some really classic American stereotypical poo poo. I have no idea who Jastiger is, perhaps that's a reference from your culture and your culture isn't my culture. Some of it is, plenty of it is not.
I'm Australian. Jastiger is a Something Awful Forums poster.

It's spelled "Labor". I don't know why, but it is.

Tony Montana posted:

Labour is the party that wants more money for schools but aint so hot on the details on where to spend it. Labour famously decided Australia should have the NBN, which is fibre to everyone's doorstep. Which is a loving ridiculous and stupid idea and that is a lot of the reason it's still not done. Look worldwide, nobody else does this poo poo. It's a bunch of professional bullshitters playing at being in charge. Liberal on the other hand would encompass much of the IT profession (we negotiate our own salaries, get that loving union away from me, etc) and the Liberal plan was a mix of technologies, wireless, fiber and others used in the most effective way.
OK. :rolleyes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

If you live somewhere where the police response time can be upwards of 20 minutes, then it's probably not a bad idea to have a firearm of some sort.
See, that just sounds utterly crazy to me. I do not at all see how you get from the premise to the conclusion. What are you going to do, shoot someone? Are you a loving psychopath?

LogisticEarth posted:

To me, I feel like being able to get good groupings with a 30.06 at 100 yards with iron sights makes me a more competent person, and a better citizen.
Same with this one; I don't see a connection between premise and conclusion. What aspect of citizenship requires shooting stuff?

Like, I get hunting and target shooting for fun. It's not my idea of a good time, but I can understand how it could appeal to others. But a gun for self defence? You just sound like someone who should be locked up for the safety of those around you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

It's all about the ability to project lethal force in a defensive manner. No, I would not just pop some kid running away with my TV. But if you are in a situation where you may be dealing with an intruder or otherwise, you get your family together and retreat into a safe room until help arrives. To me, at least, it's perfectly rational and not at all psychotic to want to be able to defend yourself in a generally effective way. Right now firearms are the best way to do that without ouright hiring private security.
I cannot imagine how adding a gun to the situation makes anyone safer. Like, what's the scenario where you need to shoot someone to keep your family safe?

LogisticEarth posted:

Well, military service is the obvious one.
If you join the military they'll train and arm you. If you don't, that's not relevant.

LogisticEarth posted:

But also just general community defense. The ability to be dangerous when you need to be. Not violent or aggressive, but dangerous enough to be useful if you need to help protect family friends and neighbors.
From what? Are you expecting to be invaded?

LogisticEarth posted:

it's not unfathomable that the police won't always be there.
You keep talking about police response times, like as though you see the police as a gun-by-proxy, like you think the police exist to come shoot people on your behalf? Personally, I don't think the police should be carrying guns either. It doesn't seem like that makes anyone safer - in fact the opposite.

LogisticEarth posted:

Knowing how to effectively defend yourself and those around you is just as important as knowing first aid and CPR, and basic emergency preparedness. Again, this is not always about using a rifle to solve every problem, the same way you're not treating a compound fracture every day. But it helps to know how to do something when and if it's required.
But when would shooting someone ever be required?

LogisticEarth posted:

It helps to realize that most folks do not in fact want to go all Die Hard, and just consider gun ownership as a part of their everyday life.
Gun ownership I get. Gun ownership for self defence I do not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jenalia posted:

Anyway, this has gotten long and I'll stop there. Hope that's enough of a foreign perspective! Also hope I didn't make all the Americans mad, it was just a list of some of the things I found odd.
This was a great post and if you've got more examples I'd love to hear them. Also, what country are you from?

God Hole posted:

Where I'm from, it's generally expected to provide at least 15% tip for the wait staff at a bare minimum. If your waiter goes above and beyond, for example, smiling, showing knowledge about different drink specials, food recommendations, jokes, comfortably assured they didn't spit in your food, it's pretty much a given you'll provide more than that.
I don't know if this is an American thing, a people talking poo poo on the internet thing, or maybe a more universal thing that I'm just oblivious to, but it seems to me that Americans have this weird fear of waitstaff spitting in their food. Like, I've never worried about that at all, anywhere. It seems like such an unlikely thing to happen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tar_Squid posted:

I should probably google how they managed to get all the guns that people already owned pre-ban.

Buybacks and amnesties. You give people an opportunity to get some cash for handing in their guns, then you set up a way for people to get rid of them at any time without being penalised for holding onto them after the buyback period.

And of course you punish anyone you catch holding onto an illegal weapon and not handing it in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Over a short amount of time, of course, my wife familiarized herself with firearms and the fear melted away as she realized it was just a tool and not some inherently murderous object.
The "it's just a tool" argument always seems to me to be blatantly ignoring the very obvious fact that tools have specific purposes and the purpose of a gun (as a tool) is to kill things.

If you have a gun for self defence then you are planning to shoot someone. Not someone specific, but a person. That is the purpose for which you have acquired a gun.

How can you argue that it's just an emergency preparedness tool no different to a torch or first aid kit? Those are tools designed for seeing in the dark and helping people who are injured. Darkness and injuries are everyday facts of life. Needing to shoot someone is not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

God Hole posted:

It's probably safe to assume you've never been through a situation where the rule of law disintegrated for an extended period of time, like say the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina where there were no emergency services available in some areas for days.
What are you going to do, shoot someone for trying to steal your stuff? How is a gun helpful in that situation? In fact, in a hypothetical scenario where some enormous catastrophe has happened and there are no emergency services, I'd really rather no one have any guns. And again there's this apparent conflation of "emergency services" with "people with guns who will use them on your behalf". I think I'd be much more concerned about the lack of fire and ambulance services than with the lack of armed police.

And anyway, how many American gun owners live somewhere where that's a realistic concern?

God Hole posted:

If nothing else, having a firearm in such emergency situations diminishes the helplessness one would experience in securing food (yes sometimes you have to kill your food).
If you don't hunt then the chances of you being able to successfully teach yourself in the middle of an emergency seem slim, and if you do hunt and have a gun for that reason, well, fine. I've already said I understand having a gun for hunting if that's something you like to do. It's guns for self defence that seems crazy. I've got to say though, I doubt the average hunter would have much luck in the middle of that sort of crisis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

I was about to go back and quote myself from a few pages ago where I explicitly acknowledged that, yes, the ability to be more lethal and dangerous was both the point of knowing/owning firearms, and explained why that was a legitimate thing. But then I noticed I was responding to you in the first place so the point must have sailed over your head.
You didn't explain anything. You talked about keeping your family safe but then you didn't actually link that to guns in any way. You just seem to assume that having a gun makes you safe in some nebulous way.

LogisticEarth posted:

Nobody is conflating the two except you. You're putting the "gun" in the forefront, and we're putting "defense". The police are there to first and foremost enforce the law, and also protect life and property.
No they aren't. The police are primarily there to investigate crime and de-escalate potentially dangerous situations.

LogisticEarth posted:

The reason I and others keep talking about "police response times" or emergencies where there's a lack of police coverage, isn't because we expect the police to come in and blow away the bad guys for us. It's because the police have a a habit of either making the bad guys high tail it, or having enough backup to resolve things.
What is the scenario where you're calling the police to defend you? When does that happen?

LogisticEarth posted:

If they're not available, then it's up to you to defend yourself and your property until things are resolved one way or the other.
No it isn't. If you're in a dangerous situation then the best thing for you to do is try to get away from that situation.

LogisticEarth posted:

And you mentioned that you'd be more worried about disruption of ambulance and firefighter services. I completely agree. Which is why I have a first aid kit, and know CPR to do my best until the EMTs arrive. And why I have a fire extinguisher and know methods to escape a burning building until the local volunteer corps show up. Why not have the same level of preparation for personal protection?
Because fires and injuries are thing that actually happen. Armed intruders threatening you in your home is a fantasy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

To put it another way, would you lay down on the floor in your own home? Would you lay on everything you walked on today (purely from a cleanliness standpoint)?

No and no. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Every county I've voted in just used a big piece of card with the candidates/issues on it and yes/no bubbles next to each that you fill in.

So what's the deal with voting on issues? What sort of stuff do you vote on? Who determines what goes to a public vote, and how is it decided? What sort of power do those votes carry (like, are they absolutely binding or more like opinion polls?) How often do you vote on that kind of stuff?

And on the subject of voting, you vote for a bunch of different positions, right? Like, you vote for the guy who gets to run the local police force, and who gets to be a judge and a bunch of other stuff? What positions are actually voted on in that way? What are their campaigns like? Or do they mostly just rely on party affiliation?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We will also have local stuff like local tax issues, county/town charter revisions, etc.
What sort of tax issues are you voting on? What's a town charter?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In November I voted for US President, US Senate, US House, Florida Senate, Florida House, four state constitutional amendments, state and local judges*, County Council, Sheriff, Mayor, school board, a smattering of municipal posts, and a bunch of municipal stuff like revisions to the town charter.
Are federal, state and local elections always at the same time? What does a school board do? What municipal posts? The impression I get is that Americans basically elect every government employee right down to the garbage men, but that's presumably not actually the case.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Local races vary pretty wildly in how contested they are. There's a lot of getting out and shaking hands around here. The local guys really pound the pavement and do a ton of events because party affiliation doesn't seem to matter that much.
Is that just for high-profile positions, or is there full-on campaigning for pretty much everything? Like, if judges are almost always voted to stay as you say, do they bother campaigning or do they just assume that they'll be fine if they didn't have any bad publicity?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fantastic in plastic posted:

I couldn't find a record of the county election online, but we elected people like water commissioners and judges.
What's a water commissioner, and how are they like a judge?

In Oregon, we elected the Governor, Oregon Secretary of State, a Senator, a State Treasurer, and the state Attorney General.
So you directly elect the heads of your government departments? That's not true of the federal government though, right?

We elected someone in the federal election, too, as you know. In terms of how they were covered, the Portland mayor's race attracted citywide attention because there were a lot of candidates and the previous mayor was not well-liked. We also heard about the governor and Senate races, at least a little.
This was state senate? I assume that federal senate elections get more coverage?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Each state's bureaucracy is totally different, though - Oregon doesn't have a Lieutenant Governor, while many other states do, for instance. We also don't elect every department head directly -- We The People are fine with government cronies running, say, the Department of Fish and Wildlife, but when it comes to things like state treasurer, we want more control. I don't know whether that's true everywhere, but I suspect it is.
Is there any kind of standardisation to this, or does each state make up their own rules? Like, in Oregon you elect a water commissioner, but in another state that role may be filled by someone appointed by the governor or selected by committee or whatever?

And what would a lieutenant governor do if you had one? Is that equivalent to the vice president, or does that also vary by state?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why is there such a huge distance between the two sides of the road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

America has a ridiculous amount of space, so it gets taken advantage of.
It's not though? Even if there was some trees or something there (which there isn't in that picture), why not compress the roads and put the greenery on the sides where people can enjoy it? What's the advantage of those giant traffic islands? I mean, someone presumably designed that road and decided it should be that way.

• Locked thread