Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I live in Mississippi, on the gulf coast.

Everyone I know owns at least one gun, including me, but only a quarter of them are real freaks about it and own several that they can't stop talking about. Most people like me just put a pistol in their nightstand, maybe a shotgun in their closet, and forget about it.

We have a bigger ratio of minorities here than most states, so race is a constant factor even when you're not dealing with people who are up front prejudiced, although people like that are definitely more common than I've seen elsewhere.

Dialect and language barriers here are interesting, since it's mostly black and white with a small but longtime southeast Asian population. I work in a very high volume public-facing sales job, so I deal with everyone from all backgrounds. As a white guy from here, the more rural black dialects can rarely give me a very little of trouble, but typically we code switch to meet each other at a kind of shared middle dialect. The Filipino and Vietnamese with strong accents (almost all older folks) are very gracious about my requests for them to repeat themselves if I don't catch it the first time.

Racism in the south is weird as gently caress. An older guy I know uses racial slurs whenever, has stupid opinions about black people on government programs, but also has a young black couple living with him rent free just because he likes them personally, and is super amiable with them.

We have good seafood and soulfood like anyplace else within short range of the world's greatest food source, New Orleans.

There is a really weird animosity here towards the country's city centers like New York or Los Angeles, mostly deep down about the idea that life is somehow easier there. They just don't realize the incredibly low cost of living, mostly. Like, I rent a 2br 1ba house, not apartment, in a nice neighborhood for 800/mo.

That said, OP, if you're considering moving anywhere in the US, I wouldn't, unless you're white and very wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Can you tell me why you have the gun?

I'm just interested how your head gets to 'I should put a pistol in my nightstand'. That sounds crazy to me, but I'm not you.

I don't now, but I've lived in areas you'd have gunshots once in awhile, once even in an adjacent apartment. I also lived here during hurricane Katrina, and that could happen again any given year, where you can't really count on the police to be able to get to you in an emergency. I get not understanding. I'd never own an assault rifle or whatever except for fun, but a lot of folks feel like they need an armory for some reason, and I think they're crazy.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

It's not a hosed up world, man. America is hosed up, like really hosed up.

Healthcare is hosed
Guns are hosed
There is no real police force

This isn't the world, England and Australia are nothing like this.

I'm waiting for some other American to come in here and call you all bullshitters, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. What a crazy loving place. It doesn't make it less crazy, but I kinda understand some of that insane middle eastern American hate, because America invades countries to promote the American way of life.. but the American way of life is a loving disaster.

Hey, now you get it. I'm a white guy and I still haven't ever called the cops because I'm worried they'll just roll up and shoot the first person who startles them. There are plenty of Americans who trust the police, but they own a lot more guns than I do and have ideologies that'd probably make you sputter more than the posters in this thread have.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Also, this is a thing I've heard said almost everywhere at least a couple times. Mississippi's crazy low cost of living is that way for a reason.

Yeah, it's a bizarre place to live. I was very lucky to have two college-educated parents, one of whom came up from extreme poverty, who decided to settle on the gulf coast rather than someplace further north in the state, since I'm sure I'd be a very different person today if I'd been raised even forty miles north of here. I've been able to get a job that's not remotely prestigious or related to my own bachelor's degree, but that's let me sock away a lot more money than average Americans because I'm good at my job, have habits leftover from when I've been broke, and have avoided having any kids or major illnesses. Really, don't come here except as a brief visit to eat good food and check out civil war sites.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah but like, what is art?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

This was a great post and if you've got more examples I'd love to hear them. Also, what country are you from?

I don't know if this is an American thing, a people talking poo poo on the internet thing, or maybe a more universal thing that I'm just oblivious to, but it seems to me that Americans have this weird fear of waitstaff spitting in their food. Like, I've never worried about that at all, anywhere. It seems like such an unlikely thing to happen.

It's, at least I think, more something you joke about than anything else. I've never gone out with anyone who thought it was a legit concern, but I also don't hang out with assholes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

If I'm living someplace, I'll take my shoes off if there's carpet, leave them on for hard surfaces. If I'm visiting someone and know I'll be on carpet, I'll ask if they want my shoes off, otherwise I'll leave them on unless requested. I don't think it's a generational thing since my parents are still sticklers for taking them off but none of my grandparents ever cared at all. I don't think it's a class thing either, since one set of grandparents were uneducated and incredibly poor and the other were solidly middle class.

Also nobody here in the south calls anything a village, but I think that's a thing people do in New England pretty regularly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Grandmother of Five posted:

Thanks again to people who have taken the time to answer questions btw.

A new topic of interest have popped up, and I'd be curious to hear about what kind of sex ed people have received. Like, how much time was spent on sex-ed in your school, and were there any areas of omission or bias, thinking back? How strongly was pre-marriage abstinence advocated? Were LGBT issues openly discussed?

In the context of sharing experience on what kind of sex ed you may have received, it'd be interesting to know of how long ago it was that you received sex ed, I think, and whether you went to a public school or not. I'd imagine that the content of sex ed might vary drastically depending on it.

Junior high school, public, grade 7 or 8, 2000 or so, Mississippi. In our health and safety class, we had exactly one period, one day, for sex ed. So about an hour out of the whole year, and if you missed that day, you didn't get sex ed. Aside from the brevity, I don't actually have any complaints or ideas about how I'd do it differently. "Hey you guys shouldn't be having sex at your age, but IF YOU DO, here are some pictures of some of the nasty things that can happen to your genitals and face. The best way to avoid that is not having sex at all, but IF YOU DO, the way to avoid those nasty things is by always using a condom. Here's how those work."

This may have been an exceptionally frank class for the south since, to hear others tell it, a lot of people just got basically "don't gently caress until you're married or your dick will fall off or no man will ever want you"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I had basically the same experience in Florida, except that health class was a normal class and not some weird yearly one off. Not all of health class was spent covering sex ed, though.

I knew I wrote that out kinda awkwardly. The health class was a full length class, but the sex ed stuff only took place on a single day.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm from Mississippi but have a much less pronounced accent than a lot of people here since I live on the coast. When I lived up in Winnipeg for a bit, people still had trouble understanding me even when I made an effort to speak slowly, and generally guessed I was from Texas because I guess that's their idea of what a southern accent is like, even though Texans definitely aren't southerners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

:canada: Milk in a bag and throwing loonies at strippers :canada:

Oh poo poo I never thought about Canadian strip clubs. Do they throw their loonies, bigger bills, or have some kind of change belt on the dancers?

• Locked thread