Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I have lived in various New England states all of my life, but primarily in Mass and RI so my focus will generally be there.

Politically, New England is what you would expect, with New Hampshire being the one outlier which sometimes goes red depending on its mood. I do want to emphasize something though. Yes, we tend to lean blue very hard up here, but the more you travel outside of the cities and into the more rural areas the demographic changes quite a bit. I saw 100 times more Trump signs this election season just because I spent most of my off times in these areas and the sheer number of support he received up here was surprising to me.

Another misconception is that New England (and the northeast in general) is a racist free haven that caters to all and treats all equally and is free of prejudice and injustice. Wrong. The racism up here is just different, that's all. It's more covert and institutionalized and just as prevalent as ever. As someone who is mixed raced and 'passes' as white, I only have a scant few racial incidents I've experienced first hand. To quote one of Boston's best comedians Patrice O'Neal, "I have never met a racist." And it's true, you won't ever run into an outspoken racist person up here, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Rhode Island gets the reputation of having the worst drivers in the country and it's the one stereotype I can say is absolutely true. But RI also has a lot of farmland and is really quite diverse for such a small area of land. You can drive from the ocean to a small horse ranch surrounded by miles of trees in about an hour, depending on traffic.

The food here is great. Mostly Italian and some British/Irish influences. I grew up eating home made spaghetti & meatballs, lasagna, meat pies, corned beef, etc. My family isn't even Italian but we love their food all the same. RI has more of a Portuguese/Hispanic population so their food reflects that as well. These days because my week is so busy I usually just make whatever is fast and easy. Usually chicken of some kind. If I'm thinking ahead I'll put something in the crockpot on Monday and eat that for a few days.

I work/study in the medical field so most of my days are spent around people who are not locals, most of whom weren't even born in this country, so there's definitely a switch between professional and social time. That's mostly because people who didn't grow up here find us to be very abrasive and rude, and that's true to an extent. We are assholes but we're funny about it. Black comedy (not the Chris Rock kind) is universal but I feel like in America it's centralized in and around Boston. I have extended family on the west coast and Texas who I have visited for several weeks at a time and it wasn't until then that I realized how nice everyone is outside of my home, lol. I love it here.

If anyone were to visit, first of all, you gotta go to a Red Sox game. I know baseball is boring, but if you're already here, just go. Also check out a comedy show in the city, you may catch a glimpse of the next Louie or Bill Burr. Other then that, I guess make sure you come during the fall to check out the foliage and beaches. Summer beaches are overrated, cold winter beaches are where it's at. Go camping up in Maine. There's a lot of cool poo poo to do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread