Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Tony Montana posted:

It's on shows that come from the US. I can find examples but I think anyone that isn't American knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, unless it involves regional dialect that we would not have bewn exposed to. Can you link something?

Edit: I vaguely recall some reality television that may have used subs on American regional accents that are strong. Perhapsn on "Moonshiners" or the like, but I honestly think that was for effect anyway.

In the Appalachian English video there were maybe 2 or 3 words that I couldn't guess just from context or prior knowledge and I had no trouble with understanding rhe sylables despite not knowing anyone from there and never having been there or anywhere really close. I am sure there are people who wouldn't talk to them that aee dar enough up in the hills that they may habe a pretty isolated dialect that I wouldn't understand but that would be rare these days. Creole or deep south inner city are your best bets for nonintelligible dialects but southern rap music has spread enough of the latter that a lot of people can understand that as well.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LogisticEarth posted:

Interesting family anecdote: I found out that when my pretty much secular grandfather got "permission" to marry my grandmother, one of the stipulations from her family was that all children would be raised strict Catholics. Fun times. This was the early 1940s though.

That is required for a catholic to get married in the church. If they do not marry in the church, then I believe they cannot take communion. It is pretty common.

• Locked thread