Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Grandmother of Five posted:

How is the political climate currently in the state and city that you live in?

What kind of food culture does your local area have? if you're into cooking, or simply know of some local delicacy, please share a specific dish, with a recipe if you have one, of something that you enjoy making or buying yourself that would be representative of your local food culture.

How familiar are you with other US states than the one you live in? Like, how many different ones have you lived in, or visited for a shorter or longer period of time. Are some states essentially as foreign to you, or even more, than some foreign countries might be? Do you feel as if there is animosity between your home state and other states?

If someone was to visit the US for the first time, or your state or city in particular, what sights would you recommend?

I live in Boston, so it's probably much closer to a European political climate. We're, um... Bothered by the Cheeto-in-Chief.

I can't really think of any non-Dunkin Donuts foods that I'd really call "Boston-y", except for my habit of eating hot dogs with celery salt, which is more of an RI thing. I suppose in general the coffee culture around here is the strongest you'll find outside of Seattle, which makes sense considering we're one Gulf Stream shutdown away from being a frozen hellscape.

Tensions in America traditionally run North-South and Coasts-inland. While I may have a friendly rivalry with someone from say, New York, I'd have serious philosophical and political disagreements with someone from, say, Texas, or the rural parts of the Deep South, or some state that nobody's heard of, like North Dakota. While we wouldn't have a language barrier, my accent and word choice would definitely finger me as an outsider. There's definite ill will between various states.

The north and coasts tend more liberal, the south and midwest tend more conservative. Certain parts of the culture down south (such as the veneration of police officers, and the high stakes placed on High School football) would be completely foreign to me. That said, the ease with which I live with large, crowded areas and my obsession with the Red Sox would probably seem crazy to them.

As for tourism, go to Boston and walk in a random direction. Eventually you'll hit history. Or the river, which is also cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I never wear shoes in the house.

I never really thought about my logic, shoe-in-house-wise, before. I'll take them off if I'm staying the night (or planning to) or if I'm a regular visitor at your house, and I'll take them off in my own house unless I'm planning to go out again relatively soon. I'll also take them off (or at least ask) if a place has wall-to-wall carpeting.

I feel like, to an extent, taking off my shoes in your house assumes a certain intimacy of the friendship, and that in some ways it'd actually be rude to take off my shoes without your permission.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Ditto this. For regular shoes, anyway. If you have muddy/snowy shitkickers than obviously yes please take them off. But if you're an acquaintance or whatever, taking your shoes off indoors is moderately wierd unless you're hanging out for a long time.

Eastern PA for reference. Also we love our hotdogs with mustard-onion-pickle and fried. You can keep your goddamn flavorless boiled street cart dogs you goddamn New Yorkers.

P.S. New York sucks.

Let's tae a poll on how many sports teams have thrown snowballs at Santa

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

How the gently caress are you from here and when someone says "Boston food" you don't immediately go with lobsters and clam chowder?

Legal Seafood has been the official seafood of the presidential inauguration for decades.

I guess I just think of that as "food". It's not really all that special. Lobster's the most boring seafood known to man, but clam chowder is pretty delicious.

• Locked thread