Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grandmother of Five posted:

I realize that most goons are US-based, so maybe this sounds like an extremely mundane topic, but a bunch of us are foreigners & the US is a weird, alien place, and both super interesting on its own, but also because your nation's cultural significance probably can't be overstated. I also imagine that, with the US being as large as it is, US-goons might also be interested in hearing about state-specific stuff, since I'm guessing most people aren't really familiar with all of the US states.

Anyway, some of the stuff I'd be interesting in hearing about is personal takes on the following;

How is the political climate currently in the state and city that you live in?

What kind of food culture does your local area have? if you're into cooking, or simply know of some local delicacy, please share a specific dish, with a recipe if you have one, of something that you enjoy making or buying yourself that would be representative of your local food culture.

How is religious life and worship for you in the states? As an outsider, it appears as if religious life might vary pretty wildly from state to state, with some US areas having markedly different religious demographics than others. I'd be especially interested in whether people experience any prejudice or bias against their religious practice, or lack thereof, in their home states, or from US society at large.

Sharing what you work with or study for, or if you have any specialized knowledge, would imo also be interesting, because it would allow follow-up questions for specific fields, like, imo someone working with law or healthcare would probably have interesting insights on those areas.

If you belong to a minority group, do you experience harassment? If you do and you are willing to share personal anecdotes, and thoughts about how your state or city might differ from other areas in the US, then please do.

How familiar are you with other US states than the one you live in? Like, how many different ones have you lived in, or visited for a shorter or longer period of time. Are some states essentially as foreign to you, or even more, than some foreign countries might be? Do you feel as if there is animosity between your home state and other states?

Have you experienced any stereotypes against your nationality or state when travelling?

If someone was to visit the US for the first time, or your state or city in particular, what sights would you recommend?

Edited occasionally to add possible talking points and questions. Feel free to suggest any talking-points or questions that would fit the OP by PM or in the thread.

It's pretty great OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Everyone where I live always takes off their shoes at the front door and to be extra polite I also remove all clothing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

"Bless your heart" is all in the tone of the person saying it just like "that's a great idea" or "wow you're not a complete dumbass at all"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

married but discreet posted:

Oh another Austin question: I'm required to get renter's insurance and my landlord recommended a person from a legit looking insurance company. I emailed him for a quote etc., but now to set up the insurance he is asking for my credit card number, expiry date etc over email. I'm extremely hesitant to do that, is this normal?

This sounds awful fishy to be honest. Send me the info and Ill deal with him for you and make sure you dont get hosed over

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hope you love lovely traffic while in Austin!

• Locked thread