Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Oxxidation posted:

The national outrage model is more prominent because more productive or local conservation and regulation efforts are constantly under siege by the right.

I don't know how many developed nations have a major governmental party that has, for decades, been involved in a comprehensive campaign to destroy the government itself, but it's been a persistent issue for the US.

It's a common thread in Anglo politics generally. The UK right is equally committed to destroying as much of the state as possible, they're just taking longer over it because there was more to begin with and people get very angry at loving with stuff like the NHS so you have to carve it up subtly rather than being able to come out and say "we'll repeal Obamacare" like in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why are Europeans so afraid of guns?

It's 99% likely that I will never need a gun to protect myself, but I have one anyway just for emergency protection. It's just another preparedness tool like flashlights, radio, bottled water, batteries. I hope I will never need them in a real life or death situation, but nothing wrong with being prepared.

If you grew up in the UK after like 1985 or whenever Dunblane was, there's a good chance you've never seen a real handgun in your life. The idea you'd 'need' a handgun to protect yourself is like if someone kept a battleaxe around 'just in case' - it's an equally absurd thing to have. Guns do exist here, mostly shotguns for farmers and country sports, but depending where you live you could go your whole life and never know about that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My impression from the outside is that the major east coast cities are a lot more like Europe with dense, walkable centres and better public transport etc., and then as you move west things get way more spread out and with much less infrastructure that would support walking even short distances. This could be completely off base though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sounds like a right witch hunt.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Trump.mp4 posted:

Which days? St Patrick's day?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_walk

Every couple years one of these goes badly, although it seems to have calmed down a bit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

yeah I should've said "non-urban". the point remains though, the physical size of a country isn't really relevant to this kind of stuff because except for the tiniest countries urban space is still a tiny proportion of land area even if they house a large proportion of the population

On this note, this article is a few years old but: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

So even in the highly urbanised, densely-populated UK around 97% of the land is not built on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Dominoes posted:

Developed doesn't have to mean city; it's almost all used for agriculture.

We were talking about "urban" which is "built-on land." Vast swathes of most countries are of course developed for agriculture, but that doesn't make them urban. In fact it's pretty much the definition of rural.

• Locked thread