Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grandmother of Five posted:

I'm curious about how much of a language barrier regional US dialects represents, and whether any US dialects come across as wholly or largely incomprehensible to you as native American English speakers.

My perspective is coming from a small country that has local dialects that vary to such a degree that I can off-hand think of several that many native Danish speakers would find practically incomprehensible, but it is also sort of a running non-joke between Scandinavians that not even Danes understand Danish.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm ignorant of heavy US dialects, or whether you can actually understand pretty much anyone that speaks American English regardless of dialect. I realize that there are many distinct dialects, but nothing springs to mind to me as being comparably difficulty to understand as something like the English scouse or cockney dialects.

If people have examples of strong, regional dialects that they would think that other US citizens would have a hard time understanding, then I'd definitely like to hear clips and examples of those.

Free movement, modern transportation infrastructure and nationalism were solidly built into the American experience. We didn't have a Middle Ages (well, we did, but we genocided all those groups) so our regional dialects cover a much larger area. Mass Media and general population movements post-WWII also basically eliminated seriously hard-to-understand dialects.

For example Boontling would be incredibly hard to understand, but it has less than 100 speakers. Gullah is another dialect that is really hard to understand. At a quarter million speakers, it's one of the larger "semi-unintelligible" dialects but similar to African American Vernacular English modern Gullah speakers can always understand General American and can usually code switch so as to likewise be understood.

Some truly isolated local communities don't speak English or, in the case of certain parts of Appalachia, speak a sufficiently archaic form of English so as to be essentially a different language, but those are rare exceptions.

If you are having a hard time understanding someone, it's probably because they speak English as a Second Language and don't speak it very well because they are an immigrant or from a recent but isolated immigrant community. As opposed to being from what used to be the Feudal demesne far enough away that theoretically spoke the same language nobody would have spoken to each other until sometime after 1650 but never bothered to linguistically unify for . . . various historical reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tony Montana posted:

I'm with Tiggum.

For me, what jumps out is you actually don't think the police can protect you.

Is that part of being an American? Do you honestly believe something could go down and your police wont keep you safe?

The police are a white power organization designed to protect the propertied white class. If you don't fall into that spectrum, the cops will absolutely not protect you and are much more likely to be antagonistic towards you.

For most Americans, you are much more likely to be killed or extorted by a police officer than you are by anyone else. The recourse for this is, of course, to address your complaints to the police.

Famously, a police officer recently complained to President Trump that a particular representative was trying to take away their ability to seize assets (that is, take property up to and including all the property) of people they arrest. This is all pre-trial. If you want it back, you have to sue the police department. Good luck with that. Trump suggested ruining the career of the politician trying to take away that particular power.

It's a hosed up world man.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tony Montana posted:

It's not a hosed up world, man. America is hosed up, like really hosed up.

Fair correction and point well taken.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bongwizzard posted:

That is some absurd hyperbole dude unless you have some data to back it up.

But, making wildly exaggerated claims is American as poo poo, so I can't judge you too harshly.

We'll never know because it is incredibly difficult to collect data on extrajudicial murder by cop. If you have to hide the evidence, that's damning enough. The cops are a criminal gang out to steal your money and kill you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
As a white man, nobody ever invited me to the white privilege party! I had it rough growing up, some "privilege".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The nice thing about living in the Bay Area is that we need no guns.

During the auto-de-fe this morning, I was able to use my superior vehicle to eliminate several candidates from the employment pool. This is good and well because it continues to demonstrate that I am a worthy employee and my employer will surely see my worth.

They say that Samuel Colt made all men equal with his gun but the gun is a tool for cowards. Here in San Francisco, if you kill someone with a gun because they are better at your job, you blame Twinkies. If you kill someone with your car, well, that could have happened to anyone.

Once again, guns are for pussies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The nice thing about living in the Bay Area is that we need no guns.

During the auto-de-fe this morning, I was able to use my superior vehicle to eliminate several candidates from the employment pool. This is good and well because it continues to demonstrate that I am a worthy employee and my employer will surely see my worth.

They say that Samuel Colt made all men equal with his gun but the gun is a tool for cowards. Here in San Francisco, if you kill someone with a gun because they are better at your job, you blame Twinkies. If you kill someone with your car, well, that could have happened to anyone.

Once again, guns are for pussies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

spacetoaster posted:

So your cops don't carry guns? That's pretty impressive.

That particular gang is still armed and still actively murdering people. Though hopefully someday their reign of terror will be eliminated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/video-sf-police-filmed-unloading-barrage-bullets-man-article-1.2454453

All cats are beautiful.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I used to cut across grass and people looked at me like I was completely insane. Like, across a square people will walk 2 over sidewalk as opposed to root 2 over grass. If all you do is walk over sidewalk, then sure, your feet will be pretty clean anyway. Why not leave the shoes on.

But Americans are also funny about being barefoot in general. If I run out to grab my paper and am barefoot my neighbors look at me like I'm insane. Don't I know there could be broken glass? I mean, sure, theoretically but realistically where I live people aren't dropping bottles on the ground very often. And even if they are my feet have callouses so I'd have to be pretty impaired for them to do damage. You step on a piece of glass, you notice it, it hurts, you pull it out of your foot. That used to happen to me a lot in college (where broken bottles were pretty much everywhere) but you usually don't even bleed. You feel a prick, you pull the glass out, but because your callous protects you there isn't even any blood. Why buy shoes when your body makes them for you?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Do you pee in jars to maintain control over your essence?

What's so dirty about outside? When it's bad enough to be seriously dusty/dingy (for example, when it hasn't rained for ages) then it's dusty/dingy inside too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

honda whisperer posted:

Same shoes you wear in public restrooms. Oil from leaky cars in parking lots. Gum and bird poop on the sidewalk etc.

To put it another way, would you lay down on the floor in your own home? Would you lay on everything you walked on today (purely from a cleanliness standpoint)?

As an American I'm confused by this too.

What kinds of jacked up places do you go where so soiled that you need to take them off? I mean, if my shoes are obviously soiled I'd take them off.

What I'm really concerned with are microparticles in the air from pollution. That's why I'm always naked in my house. It's the only way to be clean.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

honda whisperer posted:

I work in a machine shop. The bottoms of my shoes are covered with tiny shards of razor sharp metal. Not gross but painful.

Before that I was a mechanic. Oil and coolant and burned transmission fluid. Straight gross.

Not bringing those shoes in makes 100% sense.

But that falls well within the "soiled" aspect most people here are talking about.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Rural/Southern "politeness" is absolutely insufferable. In the Bronx if someone is talking my ear off about nothing they are pulling a big dick move. If my grandfather wants to talk my ear off, that's his prerogative, he's earned it. Same goes for my boss. When some stranger talks to me about random poo poo I don't give a gently caress about while circumventing the point with "politeness" they are suggesting that my time is something that they have a right to and can waste. It's the rudest thing loving possible but if I ask them to get to the point, then I'm the loving monster.

There is a time and a place for shooting the poo poo but I haven't met a person from a rural/Southern space who doesn't think that that place and time are "every where and every when".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In my experience with Scandinavians (note: mostly Finnish which may-or-may-not count as actually Scandinavian depending on which skull-type chart you are consulting) if we assume that "talkativeness" follows a normal distribution for national populations the tails of the "least talkative Americans" overlaps with "the most talkative Finns". Like 2-sigma for each in opposite directions.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Upstate NY is a trash place for trash people.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I always wear orange on St. Paddy's in America.

The worst I've gotten in a pinched cheek but I can reliably get a lot of free beer at English and Scottish pubs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grandmother of Five posted:

I realize this comparison may not make a whole lot of sense, but I imagine that the US and Canada would have a sort of friendly rivalry that Denmark and Sweden has. Canada is the hoity-toity politically correct overlords, like the Swedes. And the US is basically really strong and smart, and have the best numbers system ever that is easy to use, like the Danes.

It's more like Germany/Neatherlands. The Dutch hate the Germans and build a lot of their national identity around "not being German" whereas the Germans hardly think of the Dutch at all and when they do it is vaguely positive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
:canada: Milk in a bag and throwing loonies at strippers :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When I would go to Edmonton for work, I used to like to use a lighter to heat the coins up. It would really make the girls jump!

• Locked thread