Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
RE: Village chat, in New England there are often neighborhoods in towns referred to as villages. They're not an official moniker, and they don't appear on any official paperwork of any kind. They're just a way to add a little character to one part of a town. Everyone else is correct that even 20k+ population communities are called towns. Usually cities are designated as such due to the services or commercial activity they provide and typically include far more high-density housing.

There's a part of my town called "Machine Shop Village" for no reason. The signs just popped up last summer and nobody knew where they came from. The town must have just decided 2016 was a good year to start designating neighborhoods with signs.

Jenalia posted:

I've actually had someone say "oh right, asian" to me before when taking off shoes and it's just really bizarre to me. Do you just track dirt around and vacuum more? Do you wear your shoes to bed? In the shower? Do you keep the shoerack next to your bed? I just cannot understand why you'd want to keep your shoes on inside. You can wear slippers instead, which are warm and way more comfy. Do you just never buy slippers? "You can have my shoes when you pry them from my cold dead feet" seems to be a way more universally accepted sentiment in the US.

I'm not sure how often you walk through mud and poo poo to get the impression that wearing shoes outdoors immediately makes them dirty, but you might be shocked to hear that shoes don't actually track in dirt like 95% of the time. That's what welcome mats are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Scudworth posted:

Shoes worn outdoors aren't clean, dirt is dirty, that's what is on the ground outside. And it's on your shoes.

Again, have you ever heard of a loving welcome mat? lmao it's not like they've been around almost as long as human civilization has built enclosed living quarters or anything.

If you're that obsessive about the potential for stuff that was once outside to end up being inside, I hope you don't have any windows that open and you better just seal the doors with Quickrete

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 21, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I think the idea that the United States is one complete country is kind of a thing on paper only. Our federal government does tie us all together, but each state has the power to enact enough of its own laws that you could live in one state, drive to another, and the laws can be totally different. It's not unlike the EU/Schengen Area, but instead of independent entities, we're all just subjects of the federal government.

A good example of how polar opposites states can be is Massachusetts/New Hampshire. Massachusetts is a liberal haven which the laws reflect, but in New Hampshire you don't need a permit to concealed carry a firearm, you can drive without a seatbelt and operate a motorcycle without a helmet. There also is no sales tax in New Hampshire, so MA senators are constantly trying to figure out ways to entice people near the border to shop in Massachusetts instead of driving 15 minutes over the line to buy things. Technically, buying stuff in another state to avoid sales tax is smuggling, but no police officer would be able to enforce it.

Cities and towns further add to the legislative clusterfuck, too. You can live in a town where you have to be 21 or older to buy tobacco products, but if you drive 3 minutes to another town you could legally buy them at 18.

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 22, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

God Hole posted:

Not only is it not enforced, it's actively disregarded by both the populace and in advertising. I live in eastern PA and I hear radio commercials from Delaware jewelry stores on an almost daily basis encouraging people to cross the border and buy their jewelry there to avoid an exorbitant sales tax. Also right inside the Delaware border are tons of alcohol and tobacco shops advertising their tax-free vices.

I just talked about this on the radio not too long ago. I think it's hilarious that New Hampshire businesses can get away with legally advertising their shop as being located "in tax-free New Hampshire" on Massachusetts radio stations. But hey, I mean, if it saves me a hundred bucks or so in tax when I go buy a TV or something, I'm all for it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Where I live, "God bless 'em" is said a lot more than "bless your heart" which makes sense because I'm not from the south.

Nothing punctuates a story where somebody has something funny or lovely happen to them better than a quick "God fuckin' bless 'em"

• Locked thread