Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

vintagepurple posted:

Anyone who's ever been trampled by some jackass in Syracuse will tell you southerners are nicer. As a texan I felt more at home in Ontario than in NY state.

As a person who grew up in Brooklyn this loving kills me. Hmm people seem to bowl you over in the streets? Perhaps they also seem reluctant to have five minute conversations with you, a stranger, about nothing?

Could it be that culturally people just value respecting someone's time over being/appearing polite and actually you did some thing to cause this?? Nope they're actually the worst people alive, you know it's true because everyone you know from your local culture zone in the US has the same social priorities as you do! How could there be any other way to live life?

To actually contribute to the thread: I moved from Brooklyn to Binghamton (also new York) for college and it was a constant battle of gritting my teeth and being forced to have conversations with random people else I'm one of those terrible rude new Yorkers!! (Made double worse by being a black female so Ive got to take extra care to not have ""an"" ""attitude"" so they feel justified in wasting more of my life :jerkbag:) Which isn't to say I've never had a random conversation about the weather with a cashier in brooklyn but I feel like I'm 80% more likely to be given a real question/conversation starter in Binghamton (or Ithaca, where I live now). It's also annoying because if it was another new yorker they would think it obvious that I do not want to be stopped/bothered/have my time wasted just based on social cues.

I guess it's worth corroborating that outside of city centers in the north there is so much racism it's just way more "polite". I remember getting taken to a state fair last summer and seeing no less than 5 Confederate flags on this one stand who's entire existence was these flags and men standing around and also displaying guns? I guess no one has been brazen enough to just call me friend of the family but there has been more than enough white people suddenly needing to throw into a conversation "oh yea and words are just words right??? Idk why all of you are so upset about this now a days!!!! Seems weird!!!!". The idea that theres totally no racist people ever in a college town in new york is hularious.

Also in terms of dialect I apparently don't have enough of a NYC/brooklyn accent to make it comically clear where I'm from but I talk fast and that apparently makes it immediately clear? :lol: I say "like" and "also" too much and I hate it! It got so much worse after I moved here from NYC and I'm not sure that's how this is supposed to work :crossarms:. But no mater where another is frok in the US I don't think I would ever have an issue understanding them, probably not even because of vocabulary (everyone knows there are weirdos who call soda "pop" like we're in a rerun on nickatnight, just nod and ignore it). Maybe it's just me being used to the tons of accents / peculiar word choices from people of different backgrounds in NYC. Idk it doesn't seem like it should be confusing for the average person though. I can't speak for the subtitles thing because having a sister who is hearing impaired means I grew up watching everything with subtitles when possible and continue to do so out of habit oops.

I think all the New York posters in this thread have described the politics aspect accurately for this region & if the OP is still interested in knowing about jobs/careers I'm a software developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a dual citizen and canadian antipathy towards the US is so silly as to be infuriating. It is indeed pretty much the same culture. Those iconic ontario accents posted are like... well a part of a clear continuum of dialects in North America. California sounds odd to you? I bet, you know who else it sounds odd to? Frikkin Minnesotans or Mainers. Welcome to the collective.

I was about to post almost exactly this, so thanks for being more articulate. I'll also add that I have a few canadia friends who I talk to frequently online and their accents feel more general to this whole area (new york state and southern Ontario and Quebec etc.). Being a person who grew up in Brooklyn but lacks most aspects of the comical Brooklyn accent I don't put too much weight in accents as a good indicator I guess. Vocabulary is much easier. It's much easier to ask a person their opinion on bagged milk to figure out if they're Canadian or American.

• Locked thread