Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Scudworth posted:

I've spent many months in America staying at friends houses all over the map, getting more of a feel for day to day stuff than a usual tourist does, and I will tell you the #1 craziest poo poo about the USA -

They wear shoes indoors.
In houses.

No not all of them do, not 100%, and the small percentage that doesn't will be quick to say so, but most of America does, they don't think it's weird or repulsive. When I come back home (to Canada) each time no one believes me. They can't conceive of it. My friends in other countries go nuts when I post photos of this poo poo on facebook as proof.
I will never get used to it no matter how long I'm down there.

So is this a cultural thing? I grew up in the northeastern US, then lived all over the world for 20 years before settling in the midwest, and outside of asians, I've only ever met one other person (an american with a european immigrant wife) who insisted I remove my shoes before entering his home. He did have some beautiful hardwood floors so maybe he just didn't want them to get scuffed.

So what's the deal? Is it some kind of hygiene thing (tracking in germs)? I'm curious.

Just so you know, I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like walking around without shoes unless I'm at the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Namarrgon posted:

How does voting work? Like, the physical aspects, the gritty details. How many voting offices are there? Are there really these long queus? How do the ballots look? How do you fill them in?

There are as many answers to this question as there are states.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I'm not sure how often you walk through mud and poo poo to get the impression that wearing shoes outdoors immediately makes them dirty, but you might be shocked to hear that shoes don't actually track in dirt like 95% of the time. That's what welcome mats are for.

Yeah, I mean of course I'm going to take off my shoes if they're muddy, dirty, I stepped in something nasty, etc. I live in the suburbs and work in an office so it's not like I'm trudging through cow poo poo all day.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Namarrgon posted:

In the light of the (obviously false) voter fraud claims; is their any measure that ensures you can only vote once? We get mailed a physical voter card about a month in advance with your name, which has to correspond with your id when you show up, and you don't get the card back.

I live in Ohio. The only time we get mailed anything is when our polling place changes (which in my precinct, has happened about 3 times in about 10 years). We have to show ID at the polling place, and sign a book. Voting is done on a touch-screen machine.

The only time I ever had to wait more than two minutes was in this past election. I showed up at 6:30 (when the polls opened) and waited in line for 40 minutes.

• Locked thread