Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm from the south, lived in France, Ontario, and Colorado as well and been to most of the states.. I just wanted to chime in that "we" don't all love jesus and hate non-hetero-wasps. The south has a higher proportion of rural and suburban areas but otherwise it's the same divide as in every state. A Dallas liberal and a Seattle liberal will sip lattes and trash talk the hicks, a west Texas conservative and an east Washington conservative will sip beers and trash talk the city slickers. And of course in reality even the reddest counties have at least 20% liberals usually, and vice versa.

Especially lol at the Boston guy saying he'd be friendly with a new yorker but be philosophically distinct from a texan.. Dude you'd take Austin any day over Watertown, NY. Hell most people I know would take loving Lubbock over Watertown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh boy a gun debate. So many hot takes itt, no rehashed useless talking past each other here no sirree

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Is there any kind of standardisation to this, or does each state make up their own rules? Like, in Oregon you elect a water commissioner, but in another state that role may be filled by someone appointed by the governor or selected by committee or whatever?

And what would a lieutenant governor do if you had one? Is that equivalent to the vice president, or does that also vary by state?

It varies quite a lot. Here in Texas the Lieutenant Governor could be argued to be more powerful than the Governor as they control Senate proceedings. In simple terms the Lieutenant Governor functions as a PM while the Governor is more ceremonial, like a european monarch. You also elect them separately, so you can have a Governor and Lieutenant of different parties. The current Lieutenant Governor is a christian talk radio host and pretty damned awful. He only won, I suspect, because of the R by his name.

Texas is also unfortunately almost a one-party state. In my home district in the 2016 election, we had no democrat running for the House of Representatives- it was a Republican vs some third-party chumps. For State Senate there was a republican incumbent with no opposition. Then about two pages of local offices- Hillary Clinton was the only democrat on the ballot besides some state judges.

I'm looking forward to going back to Colorado.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 22, 2017

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Aw, bless your heart.

Bless your heart is something mostly said in good faith by old people that non-southerners think is some kind of insidious insult because a northern comedian said so

Anyone who's ever been trampled by some jackass in Syracuse will tell you southerners are nicer. As a texan I felt more at home in Ontario than in NY state.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 22, 2017

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GenericGirlName posted:

As a person who grew up in Brooklyn this loving kills me. Hmm people seem to bowl you over in the streets? Perhaps they also seem reluctant to have five minute conversations with you, a stranger, about nothing?

Could it be that culturally people just value respecting someone's time over being/appearing polite and actually you did some thing to cause this?? Nope they're actually the worst people alive, you know it's true because everyone you know from your local culture zone in the US has the same social priorities as you do! How could there be any other way to live life?

I am a goon, I'm not talking about conversating with strangers. Thanks for confirming stereotypes though. Like lol if you think Torontoans have the same social mores as rural southerners. I also wasn't talking about your precious city, there's actually a whole state out there.

My main cities have been Dallas, Denver, Toronto, Montréal, Kingston, and Syracuse, plus the town I'm from, and yeah, the NY staters are odd ones out, typically. They're flat-out rude, I'm sure it doesn't seem that way to them but to me and my Canada-born girlfriend it was extremely offputting. If two people are on a crash course they won't move, they'll insult and yell at strangers, they'll judge you from your accent or your plates and tell you about it. There were also a bunch of drunk assholes stumbling around by like late afternoon on weekends. In beloved Dixie and the great white norf everybody tends to confine daydrinking to the porch.

FWIW I saw vastly more Trump paraphernalia in upstate NY and nearby states than in my hick hometown, who mostly thought "at least he ain't crooked Hillary". Still dumb but at least not aggressively so.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shayl posted:

In a big city there are just too many people to make eye contact with or smile and nod, you'd be doing it ALL the time and it would be exhausting. You really don't have much privacy in a city so people seem to naturally create this bubble around themselves when walking down the street or on transit as a defense mechanism.

Y'all keep making this about cities, how is Toronto or Montréal or Dallas less urban than Syracuse or goddamn Watertown, NY? I dare you to find a Watertown tinder user that doesn't have either an army uniform or a dead animal in their photo but they are still rude Trump lovers.

New York staters and New Englanders are also really fond of hammering their car horns. 95 and related highways are just always traffic jams, knock it off. No one feels the need to honk incessantly as 401 crawls past Toronto or A20 becomes a terrifying Final Destination clusterfuck around Dorval and Montréal. Same for Dallas and Denver but out their everyone finds some traffic zen and just zooms around bumper-to-bumper at 80mph.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread