Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't have personal experience, but my family hosts exchange students from around the world and I have vicarious experience through them.

I don't know what country you're in but most recently we've had a Chinese teen (16) from Bejing. The cultural things he's had to get used to in my area (the Southeast) is that you look people in the eyes when you speak with them (even when eating), it's okay to walk beside people (even if they're your "elder"), handshakes are firm, and if you want something it's perfectly okay to say so.

I've never been to Bejing but it must be horribly polluted, he expresses amazement every day about the blue sky and the fact that you can see stars at night. He also says he can breath better here.

Family meals at the table are normal in my family and he tried to avoid them at first, but after a year or so he's the most vocal talker (good thing) at the table.

Guns were a little scary to him at first, but after a couple of classes and trips to the range he got very ok with them, same with driving. He expressed amazement at how Americans actually obey all the traffic signs/laws and everything moves very smoothly.

A funny side note: He really thought that Americans eat hamburgers every day when he first arrived.

*fake edit*

He had a minor breakdown about "racism" after a few months, but that was (I think) more of a Chinese thing. I think being a "foreigner" in China is seen as a negative thing. And one thing about people here is they are EXTREMELY curious and he was getting peppered with statements (Welcome to America! We're so glad you're visiting! etc) and questions (What do you eat in China? What is the weather like in China? etc) which he perceived as people pointing out that he was a foreigner all the time. He said it was racism, I explained that it was just normal human behavior to be curious, he got over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tiggum posted:

See, that just sounds utterly crazy to me. I do not at all see how you get from the premise to the conclusion. What are you going to do, shoot someone? Are you a loving psychopath?

This is a dumb derail and not what this thread is about. Shut the gently caress up about your idiot religious beliefs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Desmond posted:

Not understanding why people own guns is not a religious thing? It's a valid question and curiosity. I grew up in the US and have no understanding of this whole gun culture. My little brother got suddenly conservative/religious in the past year and at the same time was trying to sell me this bullshit that he needed guns because of this and that. It was nothing but paranoia brought on by whatever rural backwoods propaganda "news" articles were going around that he needed guns in case of an intruder and that Hilary was tryin' to take away his guns and freedom, neither of which point had any basis in reality. Look, some people in the US have some really weird ideologies about some things, and guns is one of them. Now you are run by a crazy maniac who is a walking cliche of these crazy mentalities. Despite what you want to believe, most of the rest of the world does not like what America stands for right now. You can kid yourself, but it's an echo chamber. I was born in the US, grew up there, and moved away as an adult. I did entertain wishes to move back at times, just to be closer to family, but have no desire to now, given the kind of Trumpism that is rampant there. The country is no longer an ideal place to live. I'm currently working on Canada citizenship so that when I travel around the rest of the world I will feel safer by not whipping out that US passport.

Religion can be secular. It's whatever you believe. If a person believes that guns are bad and that people who want them are psychopaths and bad people (what the guy I responded to said) that sounds pretty religious to me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

That is not actually what any of those words mean, no

You mean the word religion? I think you're confusing the term theism with the term religion. In the United States atheist's beliefs (and the expression of) are protected by the 1st amendment of the constitution because those beliefs fall under the freedom of religion.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

The nice thing about living in the Bay Area is that we need no guns.

So your cops don't carry guns? That's pretty impressive.

• Locked thread