Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is from my experience travelling from the U.S. but I think if you've travelled across western Europe a bit you won't be in for a huge culture shock if you're visiting a large city. Stuff is different, but mostly understandable for "Westerners". Big cities have lots of different kinds of people generally or at least are used to visitors so don't be too apprehensive if you're nervous. My most recent travel experiences have been to Germany in a few places and two months in Prague and I didn't find it too difficult.

Of course I went around Stuttgart with a young US Army guy and he was amazed and astonished at just about everything. He had never been outside the U.S. and was from some southern state which I don't remember. It obviously was a culture shock for him. Also he was trying to say "hi" to people walking down the street. The Germans didn't realize they were being talked to (especially since he was speaking English, c'mon). Also people generally don't say hi walking down the street in any city I've lived in, haha.

My point is your experience will vary depending on how used to stuff being different is. It's not that much for someone who's travelled a bit but if you've never travelled at all you might be surprised.

Now if you were thinking of working / living here I can't really say. There are a lot of foreign workers here in Seattle for the tech companies so I guess they get by well enough.

In terms of politics actually inside the individual states it varies a lot. States are categorized as "red" or "blue" but may have large divisions within. The state I live in, Washington, is a "blue" state but is actually sharply divided between the more populous cities and the more rural / farmland areas. Many states are like this. The rest of the west coast (Oregon, California) are too.

Here's an image from November's election to give you an idea of what I mean.

I'm a white male so I don't have any big insight into racism.
I can say more but I'm tired now :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'll say it's OK, to be polite, but actually I really want you to take off your shoes. :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've never lived somewhere where I thought I would need a gun for anything nor would I ever want to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's really more a question of vocabulary & legal jurisdiction. Village isn't really in common usage in American English in that sense. A lot of states don't use the word village at all. I don't think any place on the west coast is called a village unless they're trying to be quaint. However apparently 20 (of the 50) states do have villages as a legal entity...it depends on how they're viewed in government hierarchy rather than size. Sovereignty over it's territory / citizens factors in all legal definitions of city versus town, village, etc. City is usually the largest and most autonomous. A town or community may be mostly administrated by the county, etc.

In terms of general conception, maybe a city has tall buildings? There really is no recognized universal definition.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shbobdb posted:

Do you pee in jars to maintain control over your essence?

What's so dirty about outside? When it's bad enough to be seriously dusty/dingy (for example, when it hasn't rained for ages) then it's dusty/dingy inside too.

I own a vacuum cleaner.

• Locked thread